1995 Quuigley fuel tank options

gtbensley

Explorer
After noticing some small drip marks after parking for a period of time and spending a good bit of time looking over the engine for the leak I eventually found the source of the leaking fuel to be coming from the front welded seam on the fuel tank. Van is a 95 7.3 quigley so I believe the tank has been shortened.

Thinking I'm going to pull the tank and see if it can be cleaned up and re welded. Anyone know what other options I might have? No looking to spend 1k on a new larger replacement tank if possible.

I will snap a picture at lunch for a better idea of the leak.

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Epoxy tank liner kits will often take care of pinholes. I think this can either be a DIY project or something a specialty shop can do. Welding pinholes in a used fuel tank can be both dangerous and frustrating. I'd try to fix it without welding if possible...

Good luck!

SG

gtbensley

Explorer
I will have to look into those kits, never heard of that before but I imagine it would be better then welding. Thank you for the input SG, I always appreciate the insight you offer on this forum as well as my favorite van to read about, boomer.

Quigley just got back to me and wants $895 for a new tank. Areo tanks sells a 40 gallon tank for the same money so I guess I could go that route if nothing else.....although I would rather not.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Fuel tank reseal kits can work wonders assuming the tank is still in reasonable shape. You need to remove the pickup tube(s), pump, and screen(s) (if there are any).

I am in the process of welding up a AUX fuel tank currently. Given my equipment and welding skills I am planning on lining the tank with a sealant to remove the possibility of pinhole leaks.

cjken

Explorer
My original gas quigley tank rusted and leaked where they shortened it.
I got a new tank from them. I did not have time to source other options. Maybe you could add a big rear tank like the cab and chassis vans have. I like having the big tank in my current truck.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've used SealAll on many tanks over the years. The patch will outlast the metal around it.

Only a few bucks at the hardware store.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've heard a bar of soap rubbed on the hole will buy you some time...
And keep an eye on CL for stock fuel tanks (cheap), then you could possibly have it shortened w/o eventually leaking.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
SealAll is a glue that sets up on contact with fuel. I've used it on gas tanks that are dripping fuel. Put a glob on your finger tip, rub it into leak, hold for 30 seconds, remove finger, and repeat. The first application seals it, and subsequent coats increase durability.

A friends fuel pump came apart on a Sunday afternoon 300 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. He bought a couple tubes of it from a small hardware store. He held it back together and layered on the SealAll. 10 coats later, he was back on the road. He drove it home without problems. After work on Monday he picked up a spare pump. After driving around for a week or so, he put the new pump in... He didn't want to push his luck. :D

When they built the Alaska highway they sold it by the case because the crushed rock was spreading fuel tanks.

gtbensley

Explorer
Ill give that a shot until I have an afternoon to drop the tank and seal it from inside as well.

I was running lots of loose rock dirt roads this weekend and imagine that's what happened.

4x4pair

Adventurer
I have one of those Aerotanks in mine. Huge increase in capacity and also has an option for an integrated skidplate. Pretty cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gtbensley

Explorer
I must be missing something obvious but how do I get to the nut on the fuel tank straps? Seems pretty well hidden and not easy to reach.

gtbensley

Explorer
I guess looking in the daylight makes all the difference, pretty obvious how to drop the tank. Going to give it a try tonight and see what happens. I found a local welder who is going to chop the front off and weld in new metal for me.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Best of luck, Im sure he'll be able to fix it for you.

I'd dropp it off and not stick around to watch him do e repair... Had a friend who took photos for the police of a scene of what happened to a couple of workers who were recycling fuel tanks... They were blown to bits when the tanks went up. Never saw her pics, but she told me her memory of the scene kept her up at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger