1997 2.7l 4Runner...What's it worth?

Jammer

Observer
My father-in-law is selling his very well maintained and very clean '97 4cyl 4Runner.

I *may* buy it and get out from under my '11 Taco DCLB...maybe.

Either way he wants to sell it and is not sure exactly what to ask for it. I know a vehicle like this sometimes does not adhere to the normal used car pricing resources so I figured this was a good place to poke around and see what people who know these rigs feel they are worth.

Details that I have gotten from him thus far:
1997 2.7l, 5spd manual, 4x4
172,261 miles
Airbag helper springs inside rear coil springs
adjustable coil overs in front
replaced all shocks and springs
oil change recorded in manual
New clutch within the past few years

and the pictures...

20150118_110108.jpg

20150118_110410.jpg

20150118_110253.jpg

20150118_110327.jpg

20150118_110532.jpg

20150118_110547.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Does it have a locker?

Makes me miss my old 98. Check to see if the rear spring recall has been done. If not, should be a free service. (My 98 qualified, but not 100% sure if 97's fell under this recall).

I'd probably say $4k, personally. Looks nice, but still has 170k+ miles. 2.7L's are stout. If you can handle the power (or lack thereof), and can do without a truck bed, I'd go for it. Not too much to go wrong on those things.

tyv12

Adventurer
Buy it!!! I had one and sold it, best vehicle I ever had and regret selling it, the manual and 2.7 combo is amazing I'd say $45-6500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammer

Observer
It does not have a locker. I am going to create a classified ad with some updated info and pictures.

Thanks for all of the input, the ExPo community never lets me down!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Was the 4 cyl even offered with a locker? Not a dealbreaker IMO (You can always add a locker.)
From what I've seen on 4runner forums, the manual transmission makes that one desirable. Could be a really nice economical rig for somebody. I'll bet you could get 22 - 25 MPG on the highway if you keep your speeds reasonable. Looks pretty clean, too.
The fact that you know its history is a plus. Will you get a "family discount" if you buy it? :D

Jammer

Observer
The 4Runner is currently located in Murphy, NC, but they are selling there house (closing is Monday or Tuesday) and heading out on the road while their new travel trailer is built. The 4runner plates were transferred to their new truck last week.

I am currently researching how to fly up there and get it back down here to SWFL so I can facilitate the sale since they will not be able to. The title will be transfered into my name so I can legally sell it on their behalf. As soon as that is figured out I will post the ad in the classifieds here on ExPo and on some Toyota forum websites. If I happen to fall out of love with my Tacoma and in-love with the 4Runner I will keep it, but the wifey isn't sold on that idea.

She is encouraging me to keep the Tacoma.

Either way, her dad gave us their sweet teardrop camper/trailer since they are now going to be living on the road out of an rv trailer, so I feel the least I could do is help them to sell the 4Runner.

I will keep you posted :)

LiveFree_Tx

But it and don't look back! Great looking truck in awesome condition. $5500 is about right. Again great looking rig!

KryptoRoxx

Buy it. It is the white elephant of 4runners. Better engine for the 4runner imo. A little less power but you're not losing buckets of power. Liter for liter the 2.7 is better for torque and hp. It's also 150 lbs lighter, is much smaller, and has a LOT of aftermarket support. I paid 6k for mine with 233k on the odo. I'm at 250k now and I've done exactly 1 repair on the engine.

Best part. Timing chain has no replacement interval. No more 90k worries as with the 5vz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman