1997 4x4 tiger cx

spnce

hoping to finish up the interior of this project in the next couple months, soon to move onto suspension/lighting and other things i know nothing about.

current pics:
IMG_1463.jpgIMG_1462.jpg
IMG_1454.jpgIMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1458.jpgIMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1459.jpgIMG_1460.jpg

spnce

Now that I have a minute, here are the basics:

Main use for this truck is spending weeks out accessing skiing in the eastern sierra, cascades & northern cascades.
I'm sure we'll come up with some other uses as well...

basic future needs:
- finish out & trim up interior woodwork
- add 1/2" foam insulation to the ceiling (hoping to source some XPS near me)
- plumb shower (including troubleshooting an atwood inline water heater that's never worked right)
- add another 100W to the 100W i have on the roof
- probably forgetting lots of stuff here

I'm trying to formulate a plan for suspension/offroad upgrades; I'm thinking I'd like to put on some sway bar
disconnects, but I'm not sure whether that's recommended for a vehicle as high as this.

I don't think I need any more clearance than I already have, but I'm wondering whether upgraded struts or
airbags would be worthwhile; the ride is pretty rough as it is -- anybody have suggestions?

Maybe down the road I'll add a winch & locker, but I'm gonna spend this winter/spring feeling out what my needs
actually are before any (more) major spending.

UHAULER

Explorer
That is the most difficult suspension design to make improvements on. If you had a straight axle, moving the shackle from the front to the rear makes a world of difference; not sure it's doable with TTB. The experts at SORD can probably help you out with solid advice. http://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/

I've had 3 f250's with TTB and they didn't ride very good. I know that a few people are putting TTB in vans with coil springs and radius arms. Are people converting the leaf springs on TTB f250 with coil spring/radius arms ? If I still had my last f250 I would have looked into it.

I still kinda miss this truck, 7.3 idi, 5 speed.
007copy.jpg 009copy.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Hands down the best upgrade Ive done to my old Ford ('96 Powerstroke) was a D60 solid axle swap.

Even using original F350 hardware and leafs, the ride improved a good deal compared to the TTB.

Even better would be a reverse shackle setup, and superduty leafs.

Im still considering that, but do not want to lift the truck at all.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Honestly I have no idea what a shop would run you. Where are you located?

Best bet would be to hook up with a friend/acquaintance that can wrench.

Hardest part is sourcing parts. The rest is 100% plug and play. No fabrication needed.

Most people these days seem to want $1500 just for the front axle. Much cheaper to buy a complete truck.

All I have into mine is a bit of labor. I picked up a non-running F350 for the swap. Paid just $500.

Pulled parts I needed, then parted out the rest of the truck.

I think by the end of the project I had put about $250 in my pocket. So some of my labor was paid :sombrero:

wheelie

Wheelie
Now that I have a minute, here are the basics:

Main use for this truck is spending weeks out accessing skiing in the eastern sierra, cascades & northern cascades.
I'm sure we'll come up with some other uses as well...

basic future needs:
- finish out & trim up interior woodwork
- add 1/2" foam insulation to the ceiling (hoping to source some XPS near me)
- plumb shower (including troubleshooting an atwood inline water heater that's never worked right)
- add another 100W to the 100W i have on the roof
- probably forgetting lots of stuff here

I'm trying to formulate a plan for suspension/offroad upgrades; I'm thinking I'd like to put on some sway bar
disconnects, but I'm not sure whether that's recommended for a vehicle as high as this.

I don't think I need any more clearance than I already have, but I'm wondering whether upgraded struts or
airbags would be worthwhile; the ride is pretty rough as it is -- anybody have suggestions?

Maybe down the road I'll add a winch & locker, but I'm gonna spend this winter/spring feeling out what my needs
actually are before any (more) major spending.

Feel free to PM me, I currently own 3 Tiger CX's One is my current and two others in restoration mode. (2-GM's one 4x4 one 2WD) (My Current TigerCx is a Cummins Dodge 2wd)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears