1997 D90 from Japan, in Abu Dhabi

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Well, I've been off the forum for a bit. My wife and I moved to Abu Dhabi in December and we've been settling in and adapting to expat life. So far so good...

It's vehicle shopping time. :victory:

So I've found a 1997 D90 originally from Japan. It somehow got here in the UAE (probably imported by a Japenese expat or a wealthy local). It has 16,000 km on the odometer, auto-tranny, and AC. That's all I know right now. I've only seen the exterior... tonight I go for a test drive and to climb around the enginer and interior.

It looks exactly like the one at the following link except no roof rack or grill guard.
http://rebornco.com/1997NASdefender90.htm
Same wheels, bumpers, top, roll bar, etc.

They are asking AED77,000 which equates to around $20K US. I never thought I'd have a change to own a Land Rover, let alone a Defender. I'm a staunch Toyota man, but harbor the "everyman's dream" of a Land Rover.

I'll be taking pics this evening and will post them.

I need suggestions, tips, warnings, encouragement, information, etc.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the middle east

Come now don't be shy.....

http://autotraderuae.com/auto/index.php?brandn=Land+Rover&Model=Type+car+model&Year_From=&Year_To=&Price_From=&Price_To=&Condition=Used&search=ad&Submit=Search

Nobody else around down here but me and you !

As a note the the other white ones lower down have all been for sale for at least 4 months, as I enquired after them, cost however was extremely high, along with the camel copy Disco.

They all look like "rest of the world spec" / with some of the NAS extras like the exterior roll cage

Even when my Omani worker called them up to enquire for me.

I'm in Oman, there's a few landies running around here, some imports and some ex- military ones.

People here on the whole are shy about having V-8's due to the heat,
from any manufacturer

Not sure on UAE but here you'd be limited to scapyards or the dealer and there's only one to get spares from, so it's not cheap.

I looked and looked- bought both a jeep- V8 had over heating issues soon to be sold
then a 70 series Prado- under powered- up for sale as well.

I ended up with a Nissan patrol straight 6 4.8 ltr- enough grunt but well ventilated

Summer is on its way and the temps will be in triple digits..........everyday

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Well, I went to take a good look at it tonight. It's in great shape... everything works. Can't figure out where the jack is... neither could the dealer.

Went to ask for a test drive and he wanted AED5000 deposit to test drive. That's $1350 US. I gave him the keys and walked out.

I'll go back tomorrow night so he knows I'm serious... and perhaps I'll be willing to pony up AED1000 to test drive.

Did I handle this wrong?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Things here are diferent- bring a local friend to barter for you-

The deposit -I've not been asked for that so far- maybe a UAE thing
to test your serious.

If your worried just write a local check- rather than handover cash- he holds the check till you return.

remember its only a hour to the border- easier off road.

things here disapear into the desert regularly........never to be seen again

yemen and sudan are not far away.....

Jack- mmmm in a disco its inside the battery cover, in my old 70 series its behind a panel-behind the wheel arches in the rear.

not exactly a deal breaker

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I never thought I'd have a change to own a Land Rover, let alone a Defender. I'm a staunch Toyota man, but harbor the "everyman's dream" of a Land Rover.

I need suggestions, tips, warnings, encouragement, information, etc.

Buy the D90. Don't become a LR owner.

That's my suggestion, tip, warning and encouragement.

PS - sell me your TJM already

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
... I never thought I'd have a change to own a Land Rover, let alone a Defender. I'm a staunch Toyota man...
So buy a 70 Series... I mean come on, you finaly get to a place where all the neat vehicles we all seem to drool over are available and you're looking at a Land Rover??? Seriously, buy a 78-Troupy and be done with it.

Cheers

Dave

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I located 5 off 7? series troopy ambulances this week,

drove past them lined up at the side of the road for sale.

Not sure of price or condition

czenkov

Adventurer
You're in the UAE to make bank right? Then come back to the U.S.? Get a Rover when you get back to the U.S. - Get a LC 7x now. You may never have another chance. I personally couldn't buy something I know I would fall in love with and not be able to bring back to the U.S.. But I am weak.:elkgrin:

I was in UAE once, military TDY. Mosquitos bad where you are?

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I personally couldn't buy something I know I would fall in love with and not be able to bring back to the U.S.. But I am weak.:elkgrin:

He might be able to bring it back to the US, depends upon the production date, but many of the earlier production date JDM Defenders are eligible for legal import into the US...

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-IMPACT/2006/...ay-26/i8260.htm

It must have a production date BEFORE 9/1/97, or it will not be allowed, but any JDM Defenders with a production date before 9/1/97 are eligible for legal importation...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
He might be able to bring it back to the US, depends upon the production date, but many of the earlier production date JDM Defenders are eligible for legal import into the US...

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-IMPACT/2006/...ay-26/i8260.htm

It must have a production date BEFORE 9/1/97, or it will not be allowed, but any JDM Defenders with a production date before 9/1/97 are eligible for legal importation...
OOh, nice link and info...

But I think you need to change your name to "2ndBest4x4WhenRunning" :peepwall:

jim65wagon

Wow! Joel, that's quite a move! I'm a sucker for the 70s LCs. Hope you're enjoying your new lifestyle. So, since I missed out knowing you were moving, what did you do with the T100? I happen to know a guy that could use a TJM if you were parting with it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan