1997 Toyota Tacoma with Wildernest. Shocks/Suspension question

WildernestTaco

I am new to this forum, I've been checking it out for a few weeks though. I am in the motions of buying a wildernest camper for my 1997 Tacoma 4 x 4, and had a question about the shocks/suspension. Everything on the vehicle is pretty much stock (I only bought it last monoth), I recently put BFG A/T tires and looking to do a bit more. The wildernest is currently on my truck and it has caused the back to sag quiet a bit. I was wondering if anyone has and suggestions on what my best options would be to ensure a good ride. I'll mostly be using this truck for hiking/camping, off-roading to get to trail heads and what not. I live in California and frequest the Sierra's. I'm not looking to put bigger tires or anything, just ensure I don't damage the truck and keep a safe ride. Please let me know. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

flash9588

North American Overland
I am new to this forum, I've been checking it out for a few weeks though. I am in the motions of buying a wildernest camper for my 1997 Tacoma 4 x 4, and had a question about the shocks/suspension. Everything on the vehicle is pretty much stock (I only bought it last monoth), I recently put BFG A/T tires and looking to do a bit more. The wildernest is currently on my truck and it has caused the back to sag quiet a bit. I was wondering if anyone has and suggestions on what my best options would be to ensure a good ride. I'll mostly be using this truck for hiking/camping, off-roading to get to trail heads and what not. I live in California and frequest the Sierra's. I'm not looking to put bigger tires or anything, just ensure I don't damage the truck and keep a safe ride. Please let me know. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You should look into replacing your existing leafs with OME dakar leafs. They do a good job of supporting weight while allowing for a smooth ride.

red87

Adventurer
Don't forget the OME shocks and front springs/shocks too. Your needs are pretty much exactly what that suspension is designed for.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
^^^ X2

Frame plates on the rear and airbags might not be a bad idea. Wildernests are very heavy by themselves not to mention all of the gear you will undoubtedly add for trips.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I have a 1989 Toyota extra cab with a Wildernest that I picked up last year. Congratulations on your purchase. I have used mine about a dozen times since the fall purchase and love it. As far as suspension, I started out with stock, flat springs and the Wildernest only made it worse. I was short on cash (and still am) so I ordered extended shackles to level the truck. Don't do this as it rode crappy with the flat springs. I have had Old Man Emu medium duty springs for a couple of months now and love them. I wasn't looking for much lift and the medium duty springs provided what I was looking for lift wise. I am about a half inch higher in the rear now and am mostly happy. The springs ride way better than before and I would recommend them (and have) to anybody. I have yet to upgrade my shocks due to finances but I am pretty sure that if you use the Old Man Emu shocks; as I hope to do soon, it will be a great riding machine. I do wish I had gone with the heavy duty springs as opposed to the medium duty as I carry a bit of weight in extra gear (camping gear and recovery gear) as well as a swing out tire carrier that also carries 10 gallons of water or fuel. The Wildernest alone weighs 350-400lbs and that is what the medium duty springs are rated for. I will be adding another leaf to make my springs the "heavy duty" version (as well as Old Man Emu shocks) before summer. I went with the medium duty because I wanted to make sure I didn't spend money unessesarily and have a suspension that I paid more for, only to remove a spring from the leaf pack down the road. I am glad that I went this route, but I only did because I do all the work on my truck myself and it is no big deal or labor costly expense to swap a leaf at a later date. If you are paying for the parts and install I would go with the heavy duty springs from the get go. I think you may set about 1" high without your gear but loaded you will settle close to level. I consider this a very good setup for your "offroad motorhome". Enjoy your purchase, I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get out and "adventure RV" again.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have OME Dakar HD's on mine, handled the Wildernest plus loaded to the gills very well. No need for air bags.

Ride is a bit rough when unloaded, perfect when loaded.

zoblo

Observer
I had the same problem with my 92 toyota pickup. the wildernest weighs 360lbs. I installed an add a leaf kit about 14 years ago and it worked fine. added about 2 inches to the height in the back. the kit had two leafs for each side and the leafs where pretty much full length rather just a short leaf. was fairly easy to add to the existing spring pack. have taken it over elephant hill in moab and lockhart basin without any problems. really helped the sag problem that seems to be typical of the older toyotas.

I sold the wildernest a couple of years ago and bought a small phoenix popup shell to which I added a fridge, countertop, house battery. dry weight is about 800 lbs. truck seems to handle it well still.

Saguache

Adventurer
I am new to this forum, I've been checking it out for a few weeks though. I am in the motions of buying a wildernest camper for my 1997 Tacoma 4 x 4, and had a question about the shocks/suspension. Everything on the vehicle is pretty much stock (I only bought it last monoth), I recently put BFG A/T tires and looking to do a bit more.

I'd be surprised if there weren't sag in the rear even without the Wildernest mounted. Those springs and struts are 16 years old at best and they will have decreased performance regardless of how the truck was used prior to your acquisition. That said, to preserve the ride and take a the cheap route (if you really don't want to lift) I'd go with factory replacements front and back. Make sure your ball joints are replaced while you're down there. Good luck, post photos (or it never happened).

tbar

Observer
I've had my wildernest for about 15 yrs on 3 different tacoma s
I've replaced the stock leafs on each pickup.
I have Deaver's on this truck and love them.
The othe two I had the leafs done locally and they worked great as well
The stock one are just to weak .they need replaced image.jpg

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Yeah, i would start with new leaf packs first. IIRC, the 95-97 Tacos have a 3 leaf pack, and the 98-00s had a 4 leaf. I had a 99 Taco reg cab, and the springs were so bad, even with the upgraded stock pack, when I got it w/36K on it, the leaf packs were negatively arched, even unloaded. I never carried much in it, and the one time I did, I snapped the single AAL I put in, while carrying a 600lb Cub Cadet. I wouldnt bother with beefing up the rear, until after replacing the complete spring packs. www.WheelersOffroad.com sells some nice custom packs for the 1st Gen Tacos, that wont break the bank.

austintaco

Explorer
Calculate the weight of all of your gear that you plan to carry and then add the weight of the Wildernest and buy your springs based on that. I think that you mentioned that you didn't want to lift the truck, otherwise, I would vote for All Pro expedition leaves.

If you are not in a rush, you can search the forums and probably find someone that has higher rated stock height springs that is moving up to something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78