1997 XJ family adventure rig

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
I've been on the forum for awhile... posting here and there, but realized that I don't have a build thread of my own =(

So far it's only my wife, 15 month old baby girl and I but we love the outdoors and exploring. We're not into rock crawling, more along the lines of mild stuff and getting to places that can't be reached by a sedan. The build is slow as I'm still in school and mods have to be carefully selected as my wife doesn't like me spending money on "unnecessary" stuff... sooo.... here's what I'm working with so far.

1997 Jeep Cherokee Country with the UpCountry package with about 158k miles on it. Automatic with the Np231. Bought it for $1,600 less than a year ago as the kid I got it from needed tuition money and was in a pinch to sell it. Only "problems" upon purchase that was stated was the airbag light and leaking power steering hose. I snatched it up and later down the timeline realized that it must have been in some kind of accident. The driver side tow hook mount is mangled, the passenger side airbag has been deployed (not the driver side though unless they replaced the unit) and the front two fender flares weren't the body paint matched like the rears. Oh well, it doesn't seem like too big of a deal.

I haven't done as much as I would have liked to have done since owning it, but it's doing what I need it to.

So far I've done:
Both O2 sensors
New cat converter + muffler
Upgraded all battery cables to 2 gauge
Car stereo (H/U, amp, sub, speakers)
1.75" front coil spacer + 1.5" adjustable shackle on top of the 1" UpCountry suspension
Hella 500's on the bumper
Grand Am fog lights in the bumper
Ford Ranger 16x7 stock wheels with 4.5" BS painted satin black (need to refinish the rear wheels + install the center caps on 3)
245/75/16 Dean Mud Terrains that I got for free
New CPS
New TPS

That's about it for now...

Plans for the next couple months:
All new cooling parts (coming in Aug 3rd/4th)
2 row radiator
Parts for a tune up (Aug 3rd)
Heat shield the stock airbox (http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/ramair.html)
Cowl snorkel (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my-version-cowl-snorkle-67919/)
Clean engine bay
Make a relay box to run my lights + other accessories
Make a switch box to turn on the lights
Find/install an overhead console
Make a heavier duty headlight wiring harness
Install Autopal lights (from a previous XJ) with better bulbs
Finish roof rack
Cargo tool box
Cubby hole sub box
Interior aux fans to help augment the A/C

Eventually I need to find/build/buy/do:
Rear swing out tire carrier (might just find a stock one, not planning on anything above 31/32" tires)
Front winch bumper
Re-tint the bubbling purple windows
Service transmission
Change all fluids
Sand down + repaint the Jeep... it's got lots of nicks and dings. Trying to decide what color... keep it black, go desert tan, white... dunno yet =/
Rock sliders
More body armor/protection
Camp trailer to hold camping gear/kitchen stuff etc

This is how it sits for now...

DSC_01992.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

tatuedrednek

Wanderer
Great start! I love mine and the aftermarket is amazing for these rigs! Can't wait to see it come together. You will be very suprised how well a very lightly modified xj does off road. Good Luck!!

thexjthatcould

love it, but honestly i wouldnt worry about a cowl snorkel, or snorkel in general, i was going to buy one but realized i wouldnt be doing any big water crossings, so i decided to save up for a cold air intake instead and will save you like 200 bucks, also the wheels look great! i might have to buy me a set

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
The snorkel is like a cai... 3” tubing from the airbox to the driver side firewall bonnet thing. $7 mod using RV sewage hose =)

I love the wheels. Enough BS with these tires and stock lcas that I've got .5” or so on each side at full lock

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
lookin good!

Do you have any close ups of the in bumper lights?
that looks pretty cool.
Would you do it again?

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
I'll snag some pics of the bumper lights for ya.

Would I do the bumper lights again or...? The lights most definitely. Sets it apart from other xjs and fog lights. Even in an aftermarket bumper I'd do it.

In Boise actually.

I plan on buying some 10 gauge wire in a 100ft spool to do a light harness since I need some to make a relay box anyways.

Just did an overhead console install as well. Still need to repaint it and figure out why the temperature only reads 75°. I used a minivan ohc frame and zj ohc bcm and trip computer. So far it all works minus the temp. I plan on putting my light switches up there once I get the relay box put together.

Just did a tune up and once I order and get a new csf 2 row radiator i'm going to install all my new cooling parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger