1998 3RZ 4Runner Camp Build

zacharyallott

More of a retrospective build thread, picked up this 1998 3RZ 4Runner in 2017 with 165k miles on it, at 235k now. Was looking for a 5 speed with low-ish miles, and this one ended up being a bit of a project. The goal ended up being a capable weekend camp build for all seasons. Originally imported from Canada, it's about as basic as you can get. It's 4 wheel, but with manual windows and locks and I guess in Canada they didn't need AC.

Some of the highlights, I'll get into some of the more unique bits in more depth.

Engine
- Fully rebuilt 2.7L 3RZ with stainless header

Suspension & Drivetrain
- Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip Differential, with Yukon Grizzly 8” V6 4.11
- Bilstein 5100 Front + OME 2880 / OME Nitro Charger + OME 2906 Rear + Durobumps Bump Stops 5.25"
- BFG KO2 LT285/75R16 + An oversized 265/70R15 spare underneath

External
- Sherpa Crossbars w/ Awning Mounts & ARB 2000
- NWTI Front & Rear Bumpers w/ Smittybilt XRC Winch

Electrical
- Dual Battery Setup
- Odyssey Extreme AGM34, 68 AH House Battery
- Tomioka TR-B1500 Lightweight AGM battery, 465CCA
- Victron Cyrix-CT Battery Combiner
- Goal Zero 500x

Internal / Camping
- Maxxair DomeFan in Roof
- Espar Airtronic D2 Diesel Heater
- Custom wheel well storage
- Victory 4x4 Rear Hatch Molle Panel
- Rear Hatch Window Switch

IMG_0013.jpg

56911424975__79C5B551-B4A9-45CD-B8C8-4AC191B7090D.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0046.jpeg

Last edited:

99Yota

Observer
Noticed you listed: " Espar Airtronic D2 Diesel Heater "

Could you share details on installation?

Have looked into them but haven't seen too many 3d gen 4runners equipped with one.

zacharyallott

I like the boxes over the fender wells. Mind telling how you have them secured?

The boxes are attached at two points. The main point is into the thread that holds on the plastic mount for the back cargo cover. If you pull off that piece, you can thread a 2-3" screw into the existing hole. It can be a little bit of a pain to line up, but this is the main point for holding the storage up tight to the walls. The second point is an L bracket on the ground to one of the bolts for the cargo eyelets.

For the doors I used marine access hatches, and the boxes are sprayed with bed liner.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15

zacharyallott

Noticed you listed: " Espar Airtronic D2 Diesel Heater "

Could you share details on installation?

Have looked into them but haven't seen too many 3d gen 4runners equipped with one.

Took a while to figure out the best place to install it, not a lot of spare room and I didn't want to tap into the gas tank.

I ended up installing the heater under the front seat, fits perfectly! I had to cut out a little bit of the frame piece under the seat, but it doesn't look to have any structural purposes really. The lines on the underside come out right by the gas and brake line, so I had to insulate the exhaust and brake / gas lines pretty well. The exhaust runs back toward the rear wheel well.

It took a while to sort it out, but I ended up putting a 2.5L small gas tank under the hood. I have some extra space since there's no AC. The pump is installed under the hood right next to it as well. I played with trying to stuff a bigger tank in there, but went smaller since the diesel burns pretty slow. Should be enough for 2 nights on the 2.5L tank, and I have an extra 5L tank attached to the rear spare.
I have it all powered off an Odyssey Extreme AGM, and I'm working on installing a separate Tomioka B1500 lightweight AGM starter battery so I don't have to worry about having enough power to start up.

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0139.jpgIMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0051.jpegIMG_0055.jpg

zacharyallott

For the Maxxair Dome Fan, I opted for their smallest version, since I didn't have much vertical space with the rack and the full size would be overkill for the size of the space. It's powered off of a small Goal Zero Yeti 200X, pretty straight forward install!

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpg

zacharyallott

With the addition of the Espar heater, I wanted a dual battery set up so I'd be sure the truck would always start. I didn't want to have to cut anything away to fit an additional full size battery, so I opted for a lightweight AGM racing battery as the starter battery. Since I've got a 4 cylinder I don't need a ton of CCAs for starting. Using the Victron Cyrix battery combiner, I also wired in a start assist switch to use the house battery to start if the starter battery is dead.

Specs —
Odyssey Extreme AGM34, 68 AH House Battery
Tomioka TR-B1500 Lightweight AGM battery, 465CCA
Victron Cyrix-CT Battery Combiner

IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998