1998 Chinook v10 Ford 4x4 Solar $69.5k

rawtoxic

Pretty dope! I do like the options for the bed and living space in the Chinook. If it were a 7.3 and side door entry would be a dream. If you want to tow or have a bike rack the rear door could be annoyin

• Haha
Reactions: zip

86scotty

Cynic
The price and listing don't scream scam to me but I looked at a very similar 4x4 Chinook on the west coast not too long ago that was, so be careful folks!

That is indeed a nice rig. Older leaf spring 4x looks like. I wonder if it's an old Advanced or Salem Kroger setup?

2 giant red flags…

1 - language about low price for quick sale

2 - Unless I missed it, zero information about the 4x4 conversion

And I love me a Chinook.

Barry

86scotty

Cynic
Probably because it was sold by Chinook with the conversion already done, they were offered as 2WD or 4WD from the factory.

Only as a Baja model that I'm aware of, and they look a lot different. If I'm wrong please let me know. I've had a hangup on Chinooks for about 20 years and have never seen a factory 4x4 Chinook that wasn't a big ugly boldly painted Baja model.

DRAX

Only as a Baja model that I'm aware of, and they look a lot different. If I'm wrong please let me know. I've had a hangup on Chinooks for about 20 years and have never seen a factory 4x4 Chinook that wasn't a big ugly boldly painted Baja model.
You can go to Nada and price out used Chinook Concourse 4x4. The Baja was the beginning of their 4WD units but not the only one. Quigley seems to have done the conversions and based on other docs all of the 4WD conversions they did were approved by Ford.

Here's a brochure from that vintage, under the options it lists 4WD.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
Interesting, I've seen that brochure but never noticed that, nor have I ever seen one out in the wild that was 4x and wasn't aftermarket or a Baja (usually a documented conversion here or on a similar forum). Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

Turok

Pretty dope! I do like the options for the bed and living space in the Chinook. If it were a 7.3 and side door entry would be a dream. If you want to tow or have a bike rack the rear door could be annoyin

Regarding the Chinook 4x4 for sale and the comment about rear door making it hard to tow and use a bike rack. We tow a 16' house trailer behind our '2000 Chinook Baja when my son and his gal accompany us on weekend trips. Regarding the bike rack, we use a Yakima BackSwing for our electric bikes and have even used it with a small Vespa. https://yakima.com/products/backswing
While on the subject of the Chinook Baja, I just returned home to Hood River, Oregon after a trip with a friend down Baja for surfing and fishing. Logged a total of around 4300 miles door to door. We spent a bit of time around L.A. Bay, and on Angel de La Guarda Island in the middriff islands area of the Sea of Cortez. I'm sure lot's of you know this area. Gorgeous to say the least! From there we drove to Zacatitos just North of San Jose del Cabo then I continued on to Todos Santos. The surf in both areas was small but clean and surprisingly uncrowded in the early mornings. I then visited friends in a canyon above Ojai Cal. On the way home I drove the Maracopa Highway (33) over to the 5 North. IMO, this is a drive not to be missed. Our Chinook Baja has the V-10 Triton engine and averaged between 8-9 mpg at 65-70 mph. About the Chinook 4x4 conversion for sale: I called the seller and spoke to him for around 20 minutes. He has no idea who did the conversion and cannot find an I.D. plate anywhere on the rig. Mine was converted by Quigley and came with an 11 page parts list in case I need to replace anything on the conversion. It is my understanding, that the BAJA model was only made from '2000 -'2004 and that only 200 were made. I suspect that they were too expensive for the market. I have the original sales papers for mine and it was over 100K when new.The seller could supply Quigley with his VIN # and they will have it on record if they did the conversion. The seller lists an impressive number of upgrades that I wish mine had which amount to thousands of dollars. If the rig is in fact as clean as it looks and it passes inspection by a qualified tech, the price seems appropriate. We have had ours for 3 years and like it very much. One note: Our rig works much better in snow than on sand. We need a faster way to air-down and air-up the tires for driving on washboard and onto softer sand. I am looking to install a 110 V compressor with 10-20 gallons of reserve air. Ideas and suggestions much appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

• Moon Over Isla Angel de La Guarda small.jpg
    Moon Over Isla Angel de La Guarda small.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 199
  • La Pastora Small.jpg
    La Pastora Small.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Isla Small.jpg
    Isla Small.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1596small.jpg
    IMG_1596small.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:

rawtoxic

Regarding the Chinook 4x4 for sale and the comment about rear door making it hard to tow and use a bike rack. We tow a 16' house trailer behind our '2000 Chinook Baja when my son and his gal accompany us on weekend trips. Regarding the bike rack, we use a Yakima BackSwing for our electric bikes and have even used it with a small Vespa. https://yakima.com/products/backswing
While on the subject of the Chinook Baja, I just returned home to Hood River, Oregon after a trip with a friend down Baja for surfing and fishing. Logged a total of around 4300 miles door to door. We spent a bit of time around L.A. Bay, and on Angel de La Guarda Island in the middriff islands area of the Sea of Cortez. I'm sure lot's of you know this area. Gorgeous to say the least! From there we drove to Zacatitos just North of San Jose del Cabo then I continued on to Todos Santos. The surf in both areas was small but clean and surprisingly uncrowded in the early mornings. I then visited friends in a canyon above Ojai Cal. On the way home I drove the Maracopa Highway (33) over to the 5 North. IMO, this is a drive not to be missed. Our Chinook Baja has the V-10 Triton engine and averaged between 8-9 mpg at 65-70 mph. About the Chinook 4x4 conversion for sale: I called the seller and spoke to him for around 20 minutes. He has no idea who did the conversion and cannot find an I.D. plate anywhere on the rig. Mine was converted by Quigley and came with an 11 page parts list in case I need to replace anything on the conversion. It is my understanding, that the BAJA model was only made from '2000 -'2004 and that only 200 were made. I suspect that they were too expensive for the market. I have the original sales papers for mine and it was over 100K when new.The seller could supply Quigley with his VIN # and they will have it on record if they did the conversion. The seller lists an impressive number of upgrades that I wish mine had which amount to thousands of dollars. If the rig is in fact as clean as it looks and it passes inspection by a qualified tech, the price seems appropriate. We have had ours for 3 years and like it very much. One note: Our rig works much better in snow than on sand. We need a faster way to air-down and air-up the tires for driving on washboard and onto softer sand. I am looking to install a 110 V compressor with 10-20 gallons of reserve air. Ideas and suggestions much appreciated. Cheers!

I wasn't saying a v10 chinook can't tow or is doggish in anyway I'm just saying with an object in tow with the rear door might be a tidbit annoying. Nice workaround for the bike rack. For instance, we are planning a summer of motor boating and overlanding all lakes in Colorado. Many nights our boat will attached to the rig and crawling over the trailer tongue and wiring / chains while possible is not ideal sure you can just drop the trailer but that's less time in my camp chair relaxing. We were very close to getting Chinook but rear door honestly turned us off. My lady would prefer that king bed though :)

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I wasn't saying a v10 chinook can't tow or is doggish in anyway I'm just saying with an object in tow with the rear door might be a tidbit annoying. Nice workaround for the bike rack. For instance, we are planning a summer of motor boating and overlanding all lakes in Colorado. Many nights our boat will attached to the rig and crawling over the trailer tongue and wiring / chains while possible is not ideal sure you can just drop the trailer but that's less time in my camp chair relaxing. We were very close to getting Chinook but rear door honestly turned us off. My lady would prefer that king bed though :)

We had a similar rig for years and liked the rear door because it provided easier access to the rig when parked at grocery stores, etc., let us carry our fully inflated dble kayak down the center isle in between launches on days we did multiple bodies of water, and actually seemed to give us better, more efficient storage space than a side exit rig..,plus while driving we could better see out the back.

The swing away bike rack was the only concession needed.

Turok

We had a similar rig for years and liked the rear door because it provided easier access to the rig when parked at grocery stores, etc., let us carry our fully inflated dble kayak down the center isle in between launches on days we did multiple bodies of water, and actually seemed to give us better, more efficient storage space than a side exit rig..,plus while driving we could better see out the back.

The swing away bike rack was the only concession needed.
Another quick note: I ride a 10' longboard. I can slide it into and out of the rear door and it rides nicely on edge between the settee and the couch with room to still walk through. I prefer to have the board inside on trips through the baja. Short boards go through the side door. Long boards...do not. Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle