1998 E350 7.3 4x4 Build

blakeape

Adventurer
So here I go! I used to be very active here and on Pirate 4x4. I was more into off roading and rock crawling, built a 1996 Tacoma on 1 tons and 42" Iroks. Then I built a 1997 Cummins on 37's to drag it around. Had a blast for years but priorities changed. I always have wanted a 4wd van and even had the RC car "The Lunchbox" van back in the day. Saw a Sportsmobile in Moab in like 98 and was sold. So 25 years later I'm gonna try to build my own.01C6274A-C947-4309-AAC3-63C9F0681817.jpeg63F6E5EF-6E03-40AA-82EF-7E3590DC081A.jpeg

blakeape

Adventurer
So then my wife and I decided to drive it from MT down Baja. She's a teacher and had 16 Days off Christmas of 2019. I was able to get about a month off and we drove down together, she flew back early January and our dog Arena and I cruised home a week or 2 later. The van was an excellent way to travel and we really enjoyed the connection of cab to living/sleeping area. We have had a slide in and a bumper pull in the past, but I think this is what we we've been looking for. With the 7.3 up front and an open rear diff I couldn't even look at sand without getting stuck. So the decision was made to drop a few bucks with Ujoint Offroad. I placed the order 6-2-2020. Then I started scouring the mighty inter web for parts.
So far I've compiled:

-6" Ujoint Offroad Kit
-2002 Dana 60 Front axle
-2005 Sterling 10.5
-(5) Raceline 17x9 wheels 4 used 1 new
-(5) Toyo MT 35x12.50r17 tires used (but like new)
-2002 Ford NP271 transfer case
-4.56 gears and OX lockers front and rear
-4R100 pulled, sent, built and 4wd converted
-Bushwacker fender flares
-New fuel tankB994E1C0-A6A0-4BB1-84A7-B671041144AB.jpegAC810DFA-1622-4F6F-8160-E0E94485FBEE.jpeg75E29B89-5817-4821-AA3E-B1CD039431AD.jpeg

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
All my photos from Baja are apparently HEIC so at this point I can't figure out how to post them. I did build the above rack before we left and loaded it with paddle boards, rocket box, etc.
The van is in my shop and on the lift. I got the rear axle, springs and shocks out. With the Ujoint kit you reuse the rear shackles. Mine were OKish, but for $45 I figured I'd grab new ones. They should be here in 3-7 days. This afternoon I plan to start the front tear down!74347B43-BDEF-48CF-9686-229E15C4E40D.jpegF1C5A897-4589-49D1-9527-18E3B1332A9B.jpeg

F350joe

I think a 4x4 van with a 7.3 is as close to an ideal adventure rig as you can get. Congrats and look forward to the build.

blakeape

Adventurer
Why thank you all! My friend has an 09 V10 I’ll be helping him Ujoint in the future so we’ll see how the 7.3 vs V10 cards play out!
Gavan, we met at KOH in 2013. I had the above Tacoma. I spent half that trip recognizing rigs from Pirate and saying hi. I’m a paramedic/firefighter and think of your loss often.
A friend and I are going to Ujoint my 1999 Born Free 26RSB this spring/summer.We’re going to sell it and split the proceeds. Hopefully I’m happy with this van. If I ever need bigger I’ll look for another Born Free!

blakeape

Adventurer
DAB19967-7CFB-4834-933C-2C8C56B4F58D.jpeg
Drivers side front spring hanger drilled and done!
That is just surface rust. I will have to deal with a little body work where the original running boards held moisture but this thing is actually pretty clean. I also ordered a gallon of Woolwax today for the frame. Anyone had any experience with it?
Thanks

motovan_mn

I also ordered a gallon of Woolwax today for the frame. Anyone had any experience with it?
Thanks

I sprayed Woolwax under my van this past fall. Was pretty straightforward, but I think I didn't stir it enough to get it flowing properly. Came out pretty clumpy and I think I used more than I needed to. This was with the gallon containers + spray gun that they sell.

For the body cavities I had to resort to using their aerosol cans + extension wands, which flowed much better. This upcoming fall I will re-spray but make sure to warm up and stir enough to get it flowing better.

BTW, if you haven't come across this guy yet, he is a wealth of knowledge on preventing rust:

gavan

Observer
Koh 13 was a good trip. Hard to think It was nearly 10 years ago. Time flies.

Thats a rsb. I love it as a 4x4. Its absolutely redic as a 4x4 but it’s also a really nice rig. Does everything I need.

I went 05+ axles, the turning radius really helps on the longer born free. Chris has some really nice stuff and he’s in our back yard but I like the 05+ stuff. I think I lost my taste for leaf sprung fords with the Excursion.

I got a used 4x4 output shaft and cast iron adapter for cheap, pressed the tone ring off the used shaft, heated it up and shoved it on the e450 output shaft and everything worked well. A Dakota Digital conversion box got my speedo and shift points back in line. Won’t work on a e350, but a nice little trick with the 450s with the integrated parking brake.

Spent a lot of years driving 7.3 ambulances, always get a little nostalgic sitting in the seat of a 7.3 econoline. We had a ‘96 you could push to triple dicey speeds…. Eventually

blakeape

Adventurer
I sprayed Woolwax under my van this past fall. Was pretty straightforward, but I think I didn't stir it enough to get it flowing properly. Came out pretty clumpy and I think I used more than I needed to. This was with the gallon containers + spray gun that they sell.

For the body cavities I had to resort to using their aerosol cans + extension wands, which flowed much better. This upcoming fall I will re-spray but make sure to warm up and stir enough to get it flowing better.

BTW, if you haven't come across this guy yet, he is a wealth of knowledge on preventing rust:

Thanks for the info. I'll be spraying in the shop so temps shouldn't be an issue and I'll be sure to stir vigorously! I'll check the video out.

blakeape

Adventurer
Koh 13 was a good trip. Hard to think It was nearly 10 years ago. Time flies.

Thats a rsb. I love it as a 4x4. Its absolutely redic as a 4x4 but it’s also a really nice rig. Does everything I need.

I went 05+ axles, the turning radius really helps on the longer born free. Chris has some really nice stuff and he’s in our back yard but I like the 05+ stuff. I think I lost my taste for leaf sprung fords with the Excursion.

I got a used 4x4 output shaft and cast iron adapter for cheap, pressed the tone ring off the used shaft, heated it up and shoved it on the e450 output shaft and everything worked well. A Dakota Digital conversion box got my speedo and shift points back in line. Won’t work on a e350, but a nice little trick with the 450s with the integrated parking brake.

Spent a lot of years driving 7.3 ambulances, always get a little nostalgic sitting in the seat of a 7.3 econoline. We had a ‘96 you could push to triple dicey speeds…. Eventually

I'm the opposite with leafs. I put them under my 1997 Dodge, 96 Tacoma, 88 4runner and now 98 E350 and eventually 99 E450 Born Free. I was hoping to used F450/550 axles under the Born Free with Chris's kit to get the bigger brakes, turning radius and 4.88 factory gears. Sounds like they won't work with a Ujoint kit though. Its been a while since we had any Econoline ambulances also, everything is F450 chassis now.

blakeape

Adventurer
Got the shackle holes cut and welded, shock mounts weldered up, I pulled the 3” exhaust to make access for the passenger side shackle hole and ordered a 4” Diamond Eye exhaust with down pipe. A little paint and might hang front leaves tomorrow! For some reason I can’t upload photos on my phone here at work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998