1998 Mitsubishi Montero winter package "project" - Los Angeles

Hey guys, I've got a 1998 Montero with winter package. You know, the good one with locking rear diff, leather seats, giant moon roof, 168,000ish miles. Has 33' x10.5' bfg all terrains on it with probably less than 5000 miles. Its been my daily driver for the past 8 months or so. I say "project" because it needs a new cat to pass california smog. it burns some oil, which is pretty common for this model if you are familiar, but I check it constantly and make sure its always full. Other than that the transmission is a little twitchy. I think this is just cause the motor is slightly underpowered for the 33's and the auto trans doesnt deal with it that very well. I know some people change the gearing when they go 33 or bigger on these.

I built out a nice little sleeping platform and storage system. Ive done a few really fun trips in this truck, and I love the monty, but I scored the deal of a life time on a low mileage 4runner, so I decided it was time to move on from the monty. Would make a great little project for a mechanic or maybe someone out of california that doesnt have to deal with our strict smog restrictions (looking at you arizona).

Tying to sell this cheap and quick as opposed to fixing the cat cause i now have three cars and 3 motorcycles and my roommates are going to kill me, so come steal it from me, and build yourself a sweet overland truck, or come buy it for the tires alone and part it out, whatever floats your boat, just come grab it before my roommates kick me out for taking up too much parking.

Any questions, feel free to ask please. Also I promise to clean it before you come check it out. Had to get this up in a hurry.

$1800 obo

10c2baba-cfb3-4e19-baaf-32c376d44069.jpg
fa2c133f-c187-4119-9720-f9fb4fe85c17.jpg
IMG_5478.jpg
4dafd0a6-aac6-476b-b89e-98c3fa513e3b.jpg
1fa50c93-d92e-42b9-bcab-3383ef376fce.jpg

Last edited:

Rickbfried

Observer
Not a bad price, honest description, but one thing I've found out due to experience living and buying cars in California, is that I would never buy a car without the seller providing a smog certificate, otherwise the buyer is screwed with the DMV. With the cat issue, the buyer can't transfer the truck into their name.
My two cents

overfedfish

Not a bad price, honest description, but one thing I've found out due to experience living and buying cars in California, is that I would never buy a car without the seller providing a smog certificate, otherwise the buyer is screwed with the DMV. With the cat issue, the buyer can't transfer the truck into their name.
My two cents

I sold my e30 bmw with no smog. Just make it very clear to the buyer that you do not have a smog certificate and it is on them to get it fixed and smogged before registering the vehicle. Make sure when you do sell the vehicle you fill out the release of ownership form immediately, as California law states that the buyer could make you pay for repairs in order to smog the vehicle.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Hi, was the timing belt service done while in your ownership our a receipt from the previous owner?

Also, how much oil does it burn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears