1998 Montero hose upgrade (silicone)

sd2hi

I want to change out the hoses on my rig. I read a post on the forum that stated how many feet and which diameter hose was needed. I've been searching for hours (using search function) and can't find the post. If the author or anyone remembers please respond. Aloha Andrew

Nomad1

Observer
Don't you have an auto parts store in your area they would know hose size and ever heard of a tape measure at all hate to be blunt but its really not that hard to figure out man....

sd2hi

You are right N1, especially easy to measure the hoses behind the water pump, under the plenum and behind the engine. You must have some trick tape measures in Canada.

sd2hi

For anyone looking for info instead of dim remarks I found the lengths on Montero FB. courtesy of Charly Aurelia
1/4 " silicone hose, 2 feet
3/8" silicone hose , 3 feet
5/8" silicone hose , 5 feet

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
1/4 " silicone hose, 2 feet
3/8" silicone hose , 3 feet
5/8" silicone hose , 5 feet

This is correct. You'll have some left over, but won't come up short. The 1/4" is behind the water pump, two lines, do not neglect them. The 3/8" feeds the throttle body to/from to keep it from icing and the 5/8" is heater hose. I like to install a flush tee in one of the heater hoses (Prestone flush-n-fill kit, or similar) so I can blast out the heater core and reverse the normal coolant flow to a degree. Silicone hose is the shizz.

John B.

sd2hi

Thought buying silicone hose would be easy. ID, OD, standard, metric! I called NAPA, O'Riellys and CARQUEST in San Diego and they don't have it. They are willing to order it though. Where do you guys buy it? Every thing is a little harder because I'm in Hawaii ordering parts to be delivered to San Diego.

snare

Adventurer
This is correct. You'll have some left over, but won't come up short. The 1/4" is behind the water pump, two lines, do not neglect them. The 3/8" feeds the throttle body to/from to keep it from icing and the 5/8" is heater hose. I like to install a flush tee in one of the heater hoses (Prestone flush-n-fill kit, or similar) so I can blast out the heater core and reverse the normal coolant flow to a degree. Silicone hose is the shizz.

John B.

Are the two 1/4" lines the ones that run from the thermostat housing, one from the left and one from the right, and back? they are visible and reachable from the top of the engine?

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Are the two 1/4" lines the ones that run from the thermostat housing, one from the left and one from the right, and back? they are visible and reachable from the top of the engine?

They are visible but not exactly easy to reach/replace. The only reason I now know what and where they are is because I used blue-colored silicone hose and they stand right out. Before they just sort of got lost in the maze of underhood stuff on my 3.5 DOHC in the 95.

John B.

snare

Adventurer
They are visible but not exactly easy to reach/replace. The only reason I now know what and where they are is because I used blue-colored silicone hose and they stand right out. Before they just sort of got lost in the maze of underhood stuff on my 3.5 DOHC in the 95.

John B.
Thanks. Those are the only two 1/4" ones though right ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78