1999 Dodge 2500 CTD Build AKA Han Solo

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Where is the farm? We've been looking at old farms and small acreages in the Willamette area. Some awesome properties in the areas to the south of PDX. He'll, most of the state of Oregon is pretty awesome.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
It's in a small town between Mcminville and Sheridan. Southwest of portland about an hour. Love it out there. We even own a landing strip, my wife's grandparents were barnstormers. Would be pretty cool if we ever got certified and got a little plane

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Finally got my canopy lift wired up, that took me way to long. I've had it in for almost 9 months. No pic, a little too boring to be worth it. Cheers, happy Mother's Day!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It's in a small town between Mcminville and Sheridan. Southwest of portland about an hour. Love it out there. We even own a landing strip, my wife's grandparents were barnstormers. Would be pretty cool if we ever got certified and got a little plane

Cool! We almost bought a place in Sheridan right on the river. Are you closer to Amity? Lots of cool stuff there like Evergreen and wine. Lots and lots of wine:)

GabAlmighty

Observer
Start giving your truck a healthy dose of 2 stroke oil. A full quart per full tank of fuel, this will save your VP pump (at least that's what the boys on cumminsforum say). Nobody mentioned it but those trannies aren't anything to brag about, especially since you'll be towing. I know it's not what you want to hear just keep it in mind. I have the 6spd in mine so it's not an issue but most of the autos tend to blow up, as with all dodge truck auto's.

Other parts you're going to want to keep spares of, or replace.
TPS Sensor (replace it with this, or keep one on hadn http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/)
ECM
VP44 :p

Take it from me, i've had the worst of the worst 24v there is. Keep your VP full of fuel, keep up with with 2 stroke oil and you'll be fine.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
So what are the problems with the TOS or AAPS? And the ECM? I know about the trans and VP, I'll be installing gauges to monitor both if those things, and I already installed an aftermarket lift pump so hopefully that will help keep the VP in check.

And I've heard different things about the 2stroke oil. My local ************ shop Source Automotive builds 1000+hp cummins diesels of all sorts and they don't do this. Anymore info on why its do good? I'm on cumminsforum and I've heard this before, but no real technical info or evidence to back this up.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Cool! We almost bought a place in Sheridan right on the river. Are you closer to Amity? Lots of cool stuff there like Evergreen and wine. Lots and lots of wine:)

The place is out highway 18, you turn off a Christensen road. But we actually live in portland. Looking to come up your way in August to climb in Squamish. Any idea where a good place to park the truck and my 18ft trailer might be for a couple weeks? Preferably free ;)
Hope you find a place in oregon! Your right there is a tins of great stuff here, evergreen is super cool and the wine is amazing! If you can get your hands on a 2008 Pinot noir you'll be very happy

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The place is out highway 18, you turn off a Christensen road. But we actually live in portland. Looking to come up your way in August to climb in Squamish. Any idea where a good place to park the truck and my 18ft trailer might be for a couple weeks? Preferably free ;)
Hope you find a place in oregon! Your right there is a tins of great stuff here, evergreen is super cool and the wine is amazing! If you can get your hands on a 2008 Pinot noir you'll be very happy

PM me closer to the time you're coming up and I'll spill the beans. I used to be very active in the Squamish climbing scene and have spent a lot of time on that rock.

GabAlmighty

Observer
So what are the problems with the TOS or AAPS? And the ECM? I know about the trans and VP, I'll be installing gauges to monitor both if those things, and I already installed an aftermarket lift pump so hopefully that will help keep the VP in check.

And I've heard different things about the 2stroke oil. My local ************ shop Source Automotive builds 1000+hp cummins diesels of all sorts and they don't do this. Anymore info on why its do good? I'm on cumminsforum and I've heard this before, but no real technical info or evidence to back this up.

AAPS they just simply fail, as to why I have never seen any light shed onto the fact. ECM, same deal they just fail. Some people believe that the ECM fails so often due to the fact that it's located in the engine bay, numerous hot/cold/hot/cold cycles aren't good for electronics. The tricky thing with ECM failure is that they can throw you for a loop as to what is exactly wrong, I replaced my AAPS when in reality it was the ECM that was toast.

It keeps the VP44 happy by having a nice stream of lubricated diesel go through it, like you say there isn't any "technical" info about it, just heresay and theories that have convinced me. That and after paying for a brand new Bosch VP you'll do anything to keep that ****er alive. And, I bet those 1000hp Cummins are running P-pumps anyways ;)

Now, I may be a bit jaded towards the 24v but that's just because I have had one where everything that could go wrong went wrong. I also have friends who have never had a single problem with theirs.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Well on another note, got my dual jerry can carrier painted in black rustoleum bed linerImageUploadedByTapatalk1400111061.777878.jpg

And started making a template for the locking straps ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400111099.958904.jpg
This box was actually the perfect length, made it a lot easier

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Time to clean my battery terminals and all the wires and leads. I hate non-sealed batteries! But I had to buy these in Bishop CA in a climbing trip where my batteries decided to go bad, and there wasn't much of a selection. Wish I afford to just toss these and replace them. But off to the store for some neutralizer, and terminal grease. Fun times.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Battery is all cleaned up and got my security, anti-siphoning bar mocked up, just need to weld on the hinge, the lock retainer and get it all paintedImageUploadedByTapatalk1400369958.587832.jpg
First bend
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400369972.942724.jpg
And the front two. Kind if ragged bends but all I had was a block of wood, a small propane torch and my hands. Not even a clamp. But it'll do. Still need to find my rear bumper material. I was thinking 2x6 .120 wall stock. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Well the 2" .250 wall dom doesn't work with my flange bearings, so off to get some 1.17" .250 wall tube. Hope that will be right in the 1.25 ID sweet spot I need

Luckychase5

Adventurer
That was 1.75" .250 wall DOM, and it works great! Just a little work with a sanding flapper disk to get a little extra material out of the middle and they pressed right in.
Also got my zerk fitting hole drilled out. Now just to tap it and find material for the arm.
Do you all think 2x2" 1/8 think would flex with two full Gerry cans on it? It won't be long, maybe 28-30" max. Thoughts?

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Got some more work don't on my can carrier. Got the hinge on and tacked all my bends in place for a little extra stability. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400901113.005283.jpg The hinges I picked up at a local metal shop with oil impregnated brass washers. Super cheap too, I think it was $4
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400901261.903354.jpg mocked up
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400901277.909236.jpgtop weld
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400901290.634525.jpg bottom weld
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400901306.627339.jpgand how it sits. Just need to find a small toggle clamp with a slot for a lock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle