1999 Ford F450 Super Singled 7.3L diesel 48k miles (poor mans earth roamer?)

jaho

After putting a lot of work into this truck and building it specifically for our camping needs, I am testing the waters for sale. We just had a child and it doesn't look like we'll be taking extended month Baja trips like we were, so it might be time to move this truck. It's in amazing condition (still almost smells like new, almost).

1999 F450 cab chassis, I believe I am the third owner. The truck was purchased and built specifically to carry the Bigfoot 3000 series camper, and was never used much either by the original owner or the second owner. At this point the camper is not for sale, but that can be discussed.

I purchased the truck with 32,000 miles. As I said, it was barely used. Vehicle details

- Crew Cab, almost mint condition
- 7.3 liter powerstoke diesel, currently with 48,286 miles, stock engine
- 4 speed automatic transmission
- 4.88 factory gears
- 70 gallon transfer flow fuel tanks - this is the same that earth roamer uses in their vehicles (as I said, poor man's earth roamer) - dual tanks that equalize levels automatically
- Brand new (2,000 miles) Continental MPT 81 335/80R20 - (12.5R20) 41" tires, Buckstop 8 lug steel super single rims (hard to find with this bolt pattern) (x5), flippable rims for front or rear use, no spacers
- Original 19.5" rims and tires included in the sale (x7)
- Pro Tech aluminum flatbed, custom and very nice. I had to remove the underbed storage boxes to fit the super single but I can offer them in the sale
- Gooseneck hitch in bed
- 40 lb (I think) propane tank mounted under the bed, and a propane Onan generator behind the passenger rear tire, along with a 110v outlet installed in the bed
- 8' side boxes on both sides of flatbed, very nice and completely weather sealed/lockable. One has a dent/scratch that was there when I got it, still works fine. These boxes are negotiable in the sale of the vehicle as I could use them on another project
- Trailer brake control
- Bushwacker fender flares for super single tires
- Custom 3" lift with new Alcan leaf springs front and rear, rear springs designed for weight of the camper. Very stable driving with camper on
- Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear
- 12k lb warn winch (wire cable, old school), works great
- Fog lights with switch on dash (somewhat old school but switch and wiring are there to convert to newer LED lights)
- Running board lights (switched on dash) and lots of LED lights in the flatbed
- Truck weight without camper, full 70 gallons of fuel - 10,420 lbs
- GVWR 14,500 (with my Bigfoot 3000 we are still under GVWR fully loaded)

At this point I plan on keeping the camper but I am open to offers for the entire setup, I am mainly trying to sell the truck. This is an amazing non def, stock 7.3L ford with full leaf springs front and rear. It barely has computers, and is probably one of the last of its kind in this condition. Please reach out with any questions, if I don't have a lot of interest in the next few weeks we will keep it for the fall/winter/spring and decide what to do with it next summer.

My local ford specific tech shop thought that, before I added singles and suspension, it could be worth $75k just because of the uniqueness of the build, but I am currently asking $65k. Taking into account the custom suspension, wheels and tires, including the old standard size tires, custom aluminum flatbed and boxes, low mileage, I think the price is reasonable.

Im open to offers to see what the market (you all) says about this truck, but even at this price with a nice camper on the back you are sub $100k for a fully ready to go expedition vehicle.

Josh

Attachments

• IMG_4926.jpeg
    IMG_4926.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_4962.jpeg
    IMG_4962.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1,027
  • IMG_4963.jpeg
    IMG_4963.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 993
  • IMG_4964.jpeg
    IMG_4964.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 970
  • IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 918
  • IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 827
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 803
  • 70619753880__286CFCE2-ED97-4A8A-B84E-688F4121F851.jpeg
    70619753880__286CFCE2-ED97-4A8A-B84E-688F4121F851.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 854
  • IMG_0918.jpeg
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 965
Last edited:

jaho

I have a lot more photos and will add some interior shots tomorrow once the rain stops. I live in the foothills outside of Boulder, CO, which is where the truck is also located. Let me know if you are looking for any more specific photos and I can post them, it only allow for 10 per post apparently.

nyyankees588

This is a very cool setup. Not in the market myself, but hopefully the right person will find this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Super nice rig!

I had a very similar setup in a 1999 F*3*50 (same color, crew cab, etc.) and and a Bigfoot series 3000. Even after I'd put in air bags, overload springs, TorkLift Stable Load (didn't do diddley), an aftermarket sway bar, a steering stablizer, she still didn't feel terribly stable with the camper on the back. I also swapped to an aluminum flat bed and installed toolboxes.

Sure, it worked but I think for that year, the F450 had a substantially greater GVWR (including rear axle upgrade, I believe), which is not always true when comparing F350 and F450's interestingly enough, so it's very cool to hear this rig has great stability (and it under GVWR!). It's a very cool form factor (and I really liked the camper layout).

I wished then that I'd purchased an F450 or F550 at that time. I might still have the rig if she had driven a bit better. (I also installed a 3 jack stable lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, a torklift superhitch, a front winch, etc. which didn't help with my curb weight! )

Question which may help prospective buyers who want the BigFoot. How it easy is it to load / unload? Clearance was minimal for me (using either the spindly legs in the Bigfoot or the stable lift...). It was but doable, but I didn't look forward to it.

Good luck with the sale!

-Scott

Last edited:

jaho

Super nice rig!

I had a very similar setup in a 1999 F*3*50 (same color, crew cab, etc.) and and a Bigfoot series 3000. Even after I'd put in air bags, overload springs, TorkLift Stable Load (didn't do diddley), an aftermarket sway bar, a steering stablizer, she still didn't feel terribly stable with the camper on the back. I also swapped to an aluminum flat bed and installed toolboxes.

Sure, it worked but I think for that year, the F450 had a substantially greater GVWR (including rear axle upgrade, I believe), which is not always true when comparing F350 and F450's interestingly enough, so it's very cool to hear this rig has great stability (and it under GVWR!). It's a very cool form factor (and I really liked the camper layout).

I wished then that I'd purchased an F450 or F550 at that time. I might still have the rig if she had driven a bit better. (I also installed a 3 jack stable lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, a torklift superhitch, a front winch, etc. which didn't help with my curb weight! )

Question which may help prospective buyers who want the BigFoot. How it easy is it to load / unload? Clearance was minimal for me (using either the spindly legs in the Bigfoot or the stable lift...). It was but doable, but I didn't look forward to it.

Good luck with the sale!

-Scott
Its actually really easy to remove the camper. The camper has electric jacks, so while the camper is heavy it all happens with a remote control. They make extension pieces for these jacks which add 6" or 8" and bolt to the feet, which we carry with us in case we need to unload while on the road.

Its pretty wild how well it drives. The 450/4500 and larger trucks are gaining a lot of popularity because they really can carry the weight. I live in Colorado and drive lots of curvy roads, and while its definitely not a "sporty" vehicle it drives surprisingly well.

The rear leaf springs were designed based on the weight of the truck with the camper fully loaded with gear, water, etc. It turned into 12 leafs per side, so its designed to drive well.

Last edited:

jaho

Interior shots and truck mounted propane and generator.

Attachments

• IMG_6048.jpeg
    IMG_6048.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_6051 2.jpeg
    IMG_6051 2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_6083.jpeg
    IMG_6083.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6084.jpeg
    IMG_6084.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_6086.jpeg
    IMG_6086.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_6087.jpeg
    IMG_6087.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_6090.jpeg
    IMG_6090.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6092.jpeg
    IMG_6092.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 163

BajaSurfRig

Out of curiosity how is the flat bed mounted? Is it just rigid mounted to the frame? Any issues in cross axle situations. Full disclosure I am only asking as I want to install a flat bed on my super duty. GLWS!

jaho

I think an articulating bed would be ideal but for $40k (what I heard from Bowen Customs) I'll risk it. The camper is only connected with 4 tie downs so it can move somewhat side to side, even though it really doesn't move at all with the side boxes.

That is a SUPER slick set up you've got there with the propane and generator built into the flatbed.

My BigFoot had a generator and room for a propane tank on the camper. What have you done with those compartments?...

-S

jaho

$65k is for the truck only. Camper has over $10k in electrical work alone, remodeled interior, etc. We would consider selling the entire rig with a reasonable offer considering this is a fully capable, ready to go expedition camper.

jaho

That is a SUPER slick set up you've got there with the propane and generator built into the flatbed.

My BigFoot had a generator and room for a propane tank on the camper. What have you done with those compartments?...

-S
The propane compartment still has the 2 propane tanks at this point, which allows the camper to work on its own when not on the truck. The generator compartment is now the battery compartment, so we insulated it and added 300 amp hours of lithium ion batteries, 3000 watt inverter, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger