1999 Gen 2.5 Wiring Issues / NEED Engine Wiring Harness

mk75

Adventurer
So this weekend I had to replace Engine coolant Temp Gauge . When I got down in there and started to look at wires coming off the main wiring loom to the replacement gauge. I noticed some of the wires are baked and cracked. After I replaced the engine coolant gauge it ran ruff . So a buddy and I went over the wires and found 2 wires exposed and making contact and shorting. Straightened and repaired what we could see. Now it runs and idles like it should. However most of the wires that surround the block are baked and cracked somewhere.

So I know this rig was orignal from southern Ca where it spent most of its life before coming to Oregon. So I know that the heat alone down there kills electrical on a 15 year old SUV sitting in the sun. So my thinking was to source a new engine wiring harness from Mitsubishi. I was told that Mitsubishi was no longer stocking the harness and even if it was available it would be $1800.00 So that got me to thinking of maybe going the through Painless Wiring or Ez-Wiringing. They said no and suggested this company in SC called Tweakd Performance that mainly does Toyota and Lexus in SC and was given a maybe and should know something tomorrow. I have looked long and hard here in Oregon and Washington for a wrecked Gen 2.5 to find a donor harness and nothing. The local dealer said they might be able to get sections like ignition coil harness " MR122042 , Control Harness MR352930, Chasis Harness MR359228. Some sections are less than $100.00 or upwards of 1500.00 for Chasis Harness.

I am concerned with these wires in the condition they are doing water crossings this summer. Having a short in the the middle of a crossing is not ideal. My preference would be to get a complete engine harness made new or find a really good donor. If anyone has suggestions or advice please post or PM me . I am at my wits end with this Montero after just putting in a new long block.

1. Anyone have an engine harness to sell or trade in good condition.
2. Who here has had to do a engine harness swap or has assisted in this repair? " Do's and dont's "
3. Where can I source a complete engine harness " Private sale or Company" ?

Thanks Everyone

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I was at a pick n pull in Sherwood, OR this past Saturday June 28th. I had to undo the entire dash assembly to get the heater core I needed. Actually, I was just there helping Judy my wife get the heater core. Regardless, I found the ECU which is the source of that harness you need, right?. It was a 1996 3.5L engine. Aren't they the same wiring harnesses? Isn't the 3.8 and the 3.5 the same engine just with a longer cylinder bore? If so, couldn't you take that harness now that a majority of the work has been done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mk75

Adventurer
My question would be since the 1996 is a DOHC and my SOHC what would be different on the loom in terms of the connections? I am not sure if they are the same wiring harness in terms of layout. Anyone know ? Honestly I don't . Either way I need to get this resolved ASAP. Tomorrow I am taking the truck A.Webb Mitsubishi in Vancouver and pay them to go through the truck and give me a punch list of whats good and bad and take it from there. Its got a new long block and it sounds like a sewing machine but with bad wires going to sensors it just a matter of time before something shorts.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Yeah, you may have a point there. You know, there is also a blue 1998 Montero on row 31 of that yard. If you decide to go check it out, beware that Judy said there is a lot of glass shattered in the Montero. You may want to bring something to sweep all of that away so you can work in the cab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12