1999 Jeep Cherokee radiator upgrade-need recommendations

mbm1976

Time has come for a new radiator for the Jeep Cherokee. i have read a ton of reviews. Anyone have some recommendations on a radiator?
jeep 2022.jpg

Zeep

Adventurer
Assuming you have the 4.0, and your XJ is 23 yrs old. I would put a stock Mopar unit back in!
Thats a great life span for any radiator.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
When I got my 1997 XJ 4 years ago, the radiator needed replaced. I went with a mid priced one from local parts shop and I've had 0 problems. While I don't doubt a 3 core aluminum high end one would do the job, possibly even better. The price difference wasn't worth it to me. That all being said, my recommendation would be to go with OEM style aftermarket... unless you do a lot of slow trail rides with the AC blasting. Mine has performed beautifully dragging a trailer throughout the middle of the US on some pretty hot trips.

Winterhawk

When I got my 1997 XJ 4 years ago, the radiator needed replaced. I went with a mid priced one from local parts shop and I've had 0 problems. While I don't doubt a 3 core aluminum high end one would do the job, possibly even better. The price difference wasn't worth it to me. That all being said, my recommendation would be to go with OEM style aftermarket... unless you do a lot of slow trail rides with the AC blasting. Mine has performed beautifully dragging a trailer throughout the middle of the US on some pretty hot trips.
I'm curious as to what temps you see pulling a trailer. My XJ is a ex USFS truck and it came with the HD cooling package (not sure if was more than a HD radiator) and I tow a trailer to the dump often and to the box stores, etc and it never runs over 195. Of course we have very mild temperatures here so it's never stressed much.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
No change from "normal" driving, but then my trailer is only 4x6 TSC flat bed with RTT on it and gear stowed beneath. I've never weighed it, but it's very light. Then again, a few summer trips the temps got up into the triple digits and the jeep keep trucking with no issues.

The trailer a few weeks ago playing in the snow.
20220219_142243 by Tim, on Flickr

OneTonSoup

If you can manage to find a Mopar rad that would be the way to go. I put in a 1-row Spectra Premium (CU1193) 6 years ago now from RockAuto when they carried them and its' been flawless.

But whatever you get you don't need more than a 1-row radiator. The stock XJ cooling system gets the job done if everything is maintained and working as it should.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'll second that the factory system is fine when of the parts are working properly. Typically, when people have overheating issues on XJ's, it's one of three things:
1. They drive like they're in a TV commercial and the radiator and condensor are plugged with mud from splashing through puddles and mud holes. A radiator won't cool your XJ if it's full of mud. A blocked condenser is just as bad as a blocked radiator. Even just a heavy load of bugs and grass seeds and bent fins in the condenser will make the system struggle. Remove the radiator and wash both the radiator and condenser out from the back side if you can't easily see a flashlight shined through from the engine side. Replace the condenser if it's all smashed shut from 250k miles worth of bug encounters...
2. The mechanical fan clutch is out and not engaging when it should. Replace it.
3. The electric fan is seized or otherwise not working. Fix it. (Usually, the fan is good, and the wiring has issues, but with XJ's getting on in years, you're likely to see bad fans now too...)
BOTH fans need to be working for the XJ to cool properly when the A/C is running or you're working the Jeep, and especially for both at the same time!!

I've used several of the aftermarket brands of factory style radiators with no issues, but I do try to use Spectra radiators when possible just because they're a big name. (Sourced from RockAuto.com most of the time) I have not yet had an all aluminum radiator that lasted more than a year or so before springing some sort of leak or weep, but both of the ones I used were ebay or amazon sourced (cheap china versions). If you bought a really $$$ one, I should think it would last, but I still don't see the point when the factory system works pretty well as designed... If your experience has been otherwise, you probably need to visit my 1-2-3 list again...

mbm1976

thanks for the input guys. Old OEM radiator had a leak on the driver side end cap. i went with a CSF all metal radiator (part #2670) and a new cool recovery tank. eveything is installed and working great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears