1999 LX470 expedition/overland build!

Igorskiy86

Observer
I have been a member of this group for a few years and learned a lot. Over the last three years I was building my Gen3 Mitsubishi Montero in to a very capable adventure vehicle and it has taken me on some great trips. Montero is a great vehicle, but there are a few things that I learned along the way that I want to have, and some things that should be done differently. The biggest problem that I have with my Montero is the lack of power which leads to not a very good highway performance, and even though it is great off road, getting places leaves more to be desired.
I started looking at different vehicles and decision came to be a 100 series if it could be had for a right price. I really wanted to get one with lower miles, but after doing some research it seems like 4.7 engines last for hundreds of thousands of miles, so low mileage became not a big priority. I also wanted to avoid as many electronics as possible, and did not want a factory gps since it is will be quite outdated by now and is hard to upgrade.

After searching on CL and even insurance auctions all the vehicles that I was liking were selling for too much money. One day my 99 LX470 came up on local CL for a really reasonable price, which almost seemed too good to be true. I went to see it, and it was a good candidate for what I was looking for. It had its share of issues: out of state expired tags, check engine light, rattling noises from catalytic converters, bad tires, cracked windshield, torn leather on driver seat bottom and a bad steering rack that had almost half a steering wheel turn of play. The good things it had going for it was 175k miles, timing belt done recently, felt solid on test drive, runs well and it had a clean title with nothing bad on carfax report. With all the mentioned problems I got it for about half to one third of what similar vehicles are going for in my area. So far the problems ended up not being very significant, check engine light was fixed with an o2 sensor, and the steering rack was not leaking or bad as originally thought, but just had completely worn out bushings which I replaced with aftermarket urethane ones. Exhaust rattle was fixed with removing broken heat shields. Since this was going to be an expedition/overland build I was going to be replacing tires either way, and went with BFG TA KO2 in 285/75/16.

Build plan, main purpose of this vehicle is going to be overland type travel, visiting other states, camping, but it also has to be capable of doing some trails. It also has to be good on a freeway at speed, and do some towing work. Below is what I am planning on doing, but some things could still change and few parts will get added.

Suspension/Drivetrain
-Repair worn suspension parts: lower control arms and sway bar links/mounts
-Nitro gear upper control arms to work with lift and future strut upgrade
-Keep factory AHC system for now with 2 inch adjustment for extra height
-Icon stage 2 or stage 3 shocks as soon as AHC gives me problems, or I get a deal on it
-OME torsion bars and springs when upgrading to Icon
-Just Differentials front diff drop bracket
-ARB rear locker, front locker if original has issues
-Tires 33 size, BFG TA KO2 285 75 16
-ARB breather kit

Body
-Front bumper TJM 13 on order
-Rear bumper 4x4 Labs with swingout and tire carrier
-Rock sliders 4x4 Labs
-Skid plates
-Winch
-Snorkel
-Land cruiser turn signal mod
-Roof rack, not sure if one will be installed on this build, but it will have a RTT
-Jerry can and hilift carrier
-Hid and led lights and light bars
-Dual battery system
-On board air compressor

Interior
-Repair front seat leather
-Repair steering wheel leather
-Double din receiver
-Ham and CB radio
-Rear drawer system
-Fridge
-Window tint
-Water tank/storage box in original spare tire location

Here are some pictures of the LX and my Montero build.

5FB35D35-6D80-4D9B-AF18-E0A9F1CBD555.jpg

84AF4FA6-745E-4337-B013-2F667B1AA45D.jpg

286AEE87-38A0-4A24-AC66-441471CFCBA0.jpg

831B365B-B627-40D6-A338-C60626F2F536.jpg

B80E4755-10D8-4A45-83FF-1129337625A4.jpg

Last edited:

Igorskiy86

Observer
Withing a week of owning the LX470 tires were upgraded, thankfully 4wheel parts was having a sale and no sales tax when I needed tires. Ordered 5 BFG TA KO2 in 285 75 16 and mounted on the original wheels. Huge thanks to my friend that did the mounting and balancing for me. Was very surprised how this size tire just disappeared within the fender wells, but very happy with how it looks, handles and performs on the freeway.

06E9AC86-04A4-4CC6-B6CC-1182112D084A.jpg

AE0A8E75-B286-4F9C-8BCF-58AEFAD9F1E1.jpg

0C20020D-AF7E-4B8C-93D4-6219ABC853F6.jpg

E89681B0-C1A3-4EFE-80C8-B0CBF851D939.jpg

35133AF6-4736-4567-954E-D7B479E413B7.jpg

Height measurement of original and new tires

8018A131-D435-4CC4-BE57-07BA2A1EFE57.jpg

7379B9B5-66DC-46F9-980C-F41AB36195E7.jpg

52CBD67E-8A05-43BD-A994-8443BB4A0039.jpg

4975FBDA-AA2B-4F79-B20F-938EFE2B947D.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice rig. It's good to see someone else who isn't 100% hung up on "must have a one owner with ALL dealer only service records". These trucks are so solid that if you find one that is even reasonably well looked after, you can return it to full glory with a couple of thousand dollars and a couple of long weekends.

Welcome to the world of the 100!

Igorskiy86

Observer
Thank you! The LX has been pretty fun so far to be working on, and I am pretty happy that there are areas in it that need some attention, this way I get to see how to work on it, and also what parts could be a concern in a future.
In a few weeks, I will be rebuilding my front end suspension. Already got new lower control arms, diff drop bracket, nitro gear upper control arms and all of the sway bar bushings and links. Today I got to wire in land cruiser turn signals, and really happy with how they came out, it was also a necessary change as my original one was broken and fell out, also I will be installing a steel bumper soon.
Yesterday I took it to dirt area by my house just to see how the suspension works, and got to say that I was impressed.

D062BDA4-B280-404F-A25D-E0897C2CECF0.jpg

A0BB9830-801C-45D5-92C4-96E6B57B4553.jpg

CF5B34B1-617B-4342-8F4D-1EC25003D87E.jpg

CSG

Explorer
Congrats. I was one of those guys who wanted a clean, low-mile, one owner version because I know nothing about vehicles or have any interest on working on them. I found my '02 in '09 with low 60'sk miles from a Lexus dealer in an adjoining state whose owner traded it in on a new one. I've pulled the running boards (actually, had it done), replaced the tires last year with KO2's, and had the timing belt service done at about 95k miles. The only things that broke were the power antenna and the electronic in/out steering wheel control (the up/down works fine). I've put about 40k miles on it since I got it and it still runs and looks great. I don't "wheel" but I am off road a lot on back country two-tracks and 4x4 roads here in Idaho. These things are no drama rigs. Mine has about 110k miles on it currently and I figure I'll be driving it for years to come.

24275188698_5a6461e52e_b.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
I finally did the height sensor adjustments, and gained just under 2 inches of lift, and my high and low modes still work. Took it to some trails yesterday, and I am really impressed with how it performed. One trail that we took, did not look like it was being used too often, and that was a good test for capabilities of the 100 series platform. I also placed an order for the TJM T13 front bumper, and picked up rear bumper and slider kits for Luke at 4x4 labs. Assembly on the bumper kit will be starting shortly.

74D57D5C-BCA0-4414-8815-9F2C8C7A055D.jpg

1e9fee6c-04eb-4986-a67e-661c4e989afc.jpg

Here is the height that was achieved with sensor adjustment, front can still be adjusted for more lift by shortening the link, but I chose not to max it out and this way I still have enough down travel in front.

7B6B9215-FC86-4064-831E-5083DDA3D9E6.jpg

894E68BE-15EC-45EF-88DC-F606D31D76DA.jpg

Last edited:

Riviera

Nice Rig

Great Looking LX, can't wait to see it with the bumpers and sliders on it. Its amazing how much higher it will look when you remove the running boards. Sounds like you got some solid plans! I bought my LX last May @ 172k, and just rolled 200k a couple days ago. I'm assuming you're on mud too? I also liked the looks of your Montero. They look brutish with the bulbous fenders and all!

Here's mine about 2 months ago. I know the snorkel is kind of a poser mod, but I will be putting a dust collector on it as I like that look a lot better.

Attachments

• LX.jpg
    LX.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 61

Igorskiy86

Observer
Riviera, thank you. There is nothing wrong with having a snorkel, as it keeps so much dust out of the filter. My is already sitting at home ready to be put on! Your LX looks great.

BEG

Adventurer
I finally did the height sensor adjustments, and gained just under 2 inches of lift, and my high and low modes still work. Took it to some trails yesterday, and I am really impressed with how it performed. One trail that we took, did not look like it was being used too often, and that was a good test for capabilities of the 100 series platform. I also placed an order for the TJM T17 front bumper, and picked up rear bumper and slider kits for Luke at 4x4 labs. Assembly on the bumper kit will be starting shortly

Two inches of sensor lift is a lot for the AHC. If you're going to run that high, you should probably run some extension brackets and then get the AHC pressures back into spec. Or combine it with a body lift. Although the LX has more articulation than the LC, it's not anything to write home about and setting the new 'N' to where the old 'H' was will eat up all your down travel.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Two inches of sensor lift is a lot for the AHC. If you're going to run that high, you should probably run some extension brackets and then get the AHC pressures back into spec. Or combine it with a body lift. Although the LX has more articulation than the LC, it's not anything to write home about and setting the new 'N' to where the old 'H' was will eat up all your down travel.

That adjustment is only temporary until I install a new suspension set up. I have on order stage 3 icons, ome torsion bars and rear springs. Once everything comes in, AHC system will going away, but for now it gives me a bit more clearance. I am slowly accumulating all the parts for my build, and hopefully will be able to start installing everything around mid to end of January when I finish work on my new house.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Congrats. I was one of those guys who wanted a clean, low-mile, one owner version because I know nothing about vehicles or have any interest on working on them. I found my '02 in '09 with low 60'sk miles from a Lexus dealer in an adjoining state whose owner traded it in on a new one. I've pulled the running boards (actually, had it done), replaced the tires last year with KO2's, and had the timing belt service done at about 95k miles. The only things that broke were the power antenna and the electronic in/out steering wheel control (the up/down works fine). I've put about 40k miles on it since I got it and it still runs and looks great. I don't "wheel" but I am off road a lot on back country two-tracks and 4x4 roads here in Idaho. These things are no drama rigs. Mine has about 110k miles on it currently and I figure I'll be driving it for years to come.

24275188698_5a6461e52e_b.jpg

Low mileage vehicles are nice, and yours looks great. My LX came from Idaho before ending up in California.

motoz

Adventurer
Nice build thus far mate. Looking forward to see how the rest progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998