1999 Mitsubishi Montero - no start/project - sold

jas_mo

Reposting for sale:

Selling my 1999 Mitsubishi Montero.

It currently does not start and I don't know exactly why - more on that below. But it's a tantalizing project because if you can solve one electrical issue, then you have an awesome, unique truck.

Specs:
1999 Mitsubishi Montero, Dakar Edition (sold in Puerto Rico)
3.0L V6 (same as 1996 LS model in US)
4x4 with locking center diff

I purchased it in 2019 with 185k miles, and it just rolled over 200k. Goes through oil and the exhaust is a little stinky, but it ran super well for being 23 years old.

Since 2019, I replaced or paid to have replaced the:
Timing Belt
Spark Plugs and Wires
Crankshaft Pulley Bolt
Alternator
Wheels
Camshaft Position Sensor
4x4 Vacuum Solenoid
Battery (2021)
Rear axle (rebuilt in 2021 - had been slightly bent, so driver's side axle bearing was squeaking)
New 2" trailer hitch

The exterior:
On one hand, the paint scheme is classic 90s and beautiful. On the other hand, well, it's a truck. It is beat up and won't win any car show medals. It sure is nice, though, not to have to worry about dinging it in parking lots.

Roof racks are NOT included

The issue:
The truck cranks but does not start. In September, the battery died and I got a jump start, and the truck ran fine. It was incredibly reliable before that and super fun to drive. However, since I parked it after the jump start, it has not started. Cranks fine, but the jump must have messed with something in the electrical system. Shops have said that they would start by replacing the starter, but I never had an issue with the starter before then.

I tried to trouble shoot it myself off-and-on, but don't have the time, know-how, or the garage to dig too deep. From what I've learned, it could be a problem with the alarm system disabling the fuel injection system somehow. The alarm theory is also supported by a clicking behind the dash after you unlock the truck. It will click about once per second for about a minute, then stop and auto lock the doors.

Also, the catalytic converter has been stolen - I have a new one that I will include with the sale, but it is not installed. I also have a new starter motor that I can include if interested.

Since the truck does not start, it will need to be trailered upon sale.

Please reach out with any questions or offers!

Last edited:

jas_mo

More photos on the CL ad, linked above.

Attachments

• IMG_7118.jpg
    IMG_7118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7122.jpg
    IMG_7122.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads