1st/3rd gen 4runner vs Montero vs XJ

etont

Hi guys... I'm new to this forum and didn't know where to post this soo here it is.

I am trying to decide on a platform to start a Expedition build for light wheeling (im thinking 3'' lift, 33'' tires, lockers, etc) for a nice camping rig to go out with the family and as a DD. So far, after doing some research, Ive been looking at a 85 4runner (in my dreams to find a nice one), a 3rd Gen 4runner with the factory RR Dif, Mitsubishi Montero (with factory air locker) or a Jeep XJ. I want to spend less then 5k on a platform with around 100k-150k miles, even 200k would prob be ok on these rigs just as long as they have had good maintenance records...right...? Anyways, what are your opinions on it? I dont know anyone personally who has had any of these cars and would like to hear some 1st hand experience.

Anything else I should be looking at? What issues, things should I be checking when going out to check these cars out?

Thanks in advance.

-Eton

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
yup, they'll all do that.

How many family members?
How long is the average trip from home?
What type of camping? Ground tent? Roof top tent?

Literally, any of those trucks, with maintenence records, will serve you.

I fit 2 adults and 3 kids in an XJ, pulling a utility/camping trailer to our usual camping spot about an hour away. The same could be done with the monty, and the 3rd gen 4runner. the first gen would handle a family of 4 just fine.

etont

Family 2 adults maybe 2 kids (none yet... but its the only way I can convince the wife that I need a 4x4. haha)
Average trip from home will be 100-200 miles, but I frequently drive highway from Sacramento to LA and would like to take the car on paved road trips also.
Camping... ground tent for now, but a roof top tent would be amazing in the future...

I figured that any of the trucks would work... Im just trying to see pros and cons of them... cost to build, support, reliability, ride quality, etc. Initially I was set on a 85 4runner, but realized that I needed to spread my search since a 85 runner with interior seems to be few and far between. After doing some research, it seems that I should be able to find a good condition 3rd gen runner with RRDif, Monter with RRDif or XJ (seems easy to upgrade/work on so wouldnt cost much to get what I want on it) for less then a old runner with no leather and heated seats, etc. =)

etont

oh yea... it also needs to keep up with my buddies 80 series Land Cruiser with 3''lift, front and rear ARB lockers, 33'' tires, etc. =)

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I have an '85 4runner and while I love it, it may not be the best match for family transportation. It's taxing (but fun) to drive with the leaf springs all around, manual steering (in my case) and a lot of transmission shifting but I still wouldn't trade it for anything. It can also pretend to be a pickup--I've had a truck camper in it for the past few years. Getting people in and out of the back seat is a bit of a pain. I usually treat it as a 2-seater.

My parents have a '98 3rd gen 4runner with the 3.4 and 5-speed manual. I helped them find it and I was originally trying to find one with the E-locker but we settled without it. I've been the driver on a few trail rides and I haven't come across the need for a rear locker. The rear coil spring suspension has quite a bit of travel and keeps the tires planted and in the rare case that one line doesn't go, one more shot at a different line does the trick. It makes a nice family car with large rear doors and more rear seat room than the 2nd gen. The ride is stiff but for a truck-based ute, it's pretty comfy. The 3.4 has nice low-end torque but I'd also go with the 2.7 for slightly better fuel economy and a lifetime timing chain.

I don't have experience with the other two. My gatherings are that they have higher cost of operation but they also have lower initial purchase cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior