1st Gen 4Runner cargo box

toyota_jon

Adventurer
i've been out wood hacking today. and made some decent progress. Now it's really starting to look like something. And i'm even impressed by how big my overall platform is. I did have to take it down about 2" so that the dog could stand up and i can easily crawl in.

goodshot.jpg

frontentire.jpg

backdetail.jpg

height.jpg

toyota_jon

Adventurer
I am going to be covering this with a bunch of carpet pad, and then over that i will put marine carpet. throw a therma-rest down and i won't know the difference between my bed and my truck!

I am going to be building my own drawers. austin hardware has really good stuff. i'm going to be using their ball bearing drawer slides and then i will also incorporate a locking pin so that if parked on an incline the drawer won't fly into my stomach (or head depending on the situation) and then also it won't slam shut either.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
under the front section there will be a flip-up lid. which should allow for a good amount of storage. I will, at some point in the future, install some 120 outlets and a power converter as well as a couple more cigarette plugs. i will put them where they can be reached from the front or used in the rear for this and that.

I have just mounted my rack like that. before i was using the rain gutters. So i haven't used it yet to see how it holds up.

Arivalsend

Adventurer
Very nice setup. I was thinking this project may pop up and I really like how it turned out for you. The side cubbies look pretty easy to pull in and out. Should make getting into the wheel well storage pretty easy for you. What type of plywood did you end up using? The drawers will be a nice development. Just need some curtains and you will be stylin. Very nice though, keep me posted on the carpet padding. I am torn about using that or dropping a nice 4" thermafoam pad on the top of mine.

~Lucas

toyota_jon

Adventurer
i havn't seen any cracks. but i also don't crank down on those bolts, i keep them snug, that way they dont crack on me.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
here's a couple build shots. The 5" angle brackets i used made things come together very easy.

P1010039-1.jpg

i used a total of 6 turn-buckles to secure it down. i can say it is not going anywhere.

P1010045.jpg

toyota_jon

Adventurer
More progress done. with the exception of some aluminum angle trim i'm done!:wings:

pad on...

padon.jpg

carpet on...

carpeton.jpg

drawers in...

drawersin.jpg

drawer length...

drawerlength.jpg

4cruzer

Adventurer
dude that thing is awesome. I'm just finishing a very,very similar sleeping deck/ storage box. I'll post mine soon. I like the drawers, well done...that long enough for you to sleep on?
does it hang over the area behind your fronts seats at all?

toyota_jon

Adventurer
yes it is just long enough to sleep on comfortably. It comes all the way to within about 6" of the front seats. which is just long enough so it doesn't interfere with my normal seat position. the front section, over where the rear seats used to be, has a flip up lid. Which my girlfriend can just about fit into. Crazy amount of storage! I just did a local trail this past tuesday, and i carried all my normal junk. and with the exception of the spare tire everything fit below with PLENTY of room to spare. So things look like they are working out very well. as soon as i finish all the trim up i'll post up some finish pics.

bmh

Adventurer
Does your platform go all the was to the front seats? Or just cover up the rear seats?

Also, what type of wood did you use? And where do you mount your spare?

Where in Colorado are you?

toyota_jon

Adventurer
I used AB grade plywood 3/4" thick. It's good and stout. it goes to within 6" of the front seats. eventually i'll have a rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, for now i just throw it in the back with a strap. I'm in the springs.

bmh

Adventurer
can you post some pictures from the front? I want to see where and how you stopped the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan