1st Gen 4runner + Flip-pac

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Would expanding foam be an acceptable filler/insulator for that gap?

I thought about that... I dont know much about expanding foam. I wonder, for the most part, if expanding foam is closed cell. I wouldnt want to trap moisture or other stuff in there. I thought about expanding foam and fiberglass combo. This weekend we are going figure this one out.

trump

Adventurist
Personally, I would get HDPE 2x4's (or the most suitable size) and either epoxy it to the bottom of the Flip-pac or glass it in place. However, my solutions are rarely cheap.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Personally, I would get HDPE 2x4's (or the most suitable size) and either epoxy it to the bottom of the Flip-pac or glass it in place. However, my solutions are rarely cheap.

Never heard of the stuff till now. I really like the idea of milling down hdpe to fit the contour of the 4runner rails. Its really not that expensive considering how little of it i would need. If things end up going south after we finish our current route i will use hdpe.
Thanks Trump

trump

Adventurist
Never heard of the stuff till now. I really like the idea of milling down hdpe to fit the contour of the 4runner rails. Its really not that expensive considering how little of it i would need. If things end up going south after we finish our current route i will use hdpe.
Thanks Trump

No worries. These 4runner/Flip-pac combos are sweet. There's a really nicely built 1st gen 4runner down the street from me... I will be in a tough spot if I ever see a for sale sign in the window.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Inching along

This last weekend we made a little bit of progress. Looks like we are about to be to the point of glassing the two tops together.
Its gona look ugly before its gets pretty...

Here is aluminum rail with the brackets rivetted.
6810191334_df30380e6a.jpg

Notched out area on flippac rail for bolt access.
6956301041_2183885b63.jpg

Interior view of 4runner rim bolted in place next to where the Flip-pac will sit.
6810191306_08372c8b5a.jpg

Aluminum L bracket that will be riveted and or screw the 4runner rim and Flip-pac together.
6810191258_b597eeb17a.jpg

6810191354_b84014c7fb.jpg

Afterwards all bonding and transitions will be fiberglassed over.

On a side note, I seemed to have found a leak. Seems that water might be getting in from the rear latch that holds the top down.
Or maybe it is getting in from the front torsion bar hinge and making its way back to the rear. Im not sure that water could get all the way down the side from front to back though. I plan on keeping it covered and dry. Hopefully after a few good hot summer months I can reseal it with silicone having minimal moisture in there.

upcountry

Explorer
"Pictures of Fiber glassing attempt 1.0 to come after the weekend."

Looking forward to this. Having repaired many surfboards, I can only imagine what a larger scale glassing effort would be like.

Love the creativity in making an awesome custom setup.

BTW....where did you get the quick disconnect for the sway bar??

JasonRedwood

Explorer
"Pictures of Fiber glassing attempt 1.0 to come after the weekend."

Looking forward to this. Having repaired many surfboards, I can only imagine what a larger scale glassing effort would be like.

Love the creativity in making an awesome custom setup.

BTW....where did you get the quick disconnect for the sway bar??

I liked the design of the ones at http://www.midwestcontrol.com/series.php?id=21.
Mcmaster.com also has an amazing selection of everything.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
This can of worms is moving at a snails pace. Last weekend I sanded just about all the edges to be bonded. Rain in the forecast this weekend so there wont be any progress.
The lines and proportions are perfect in my eye.
6983276347_1f03b5f03f.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
Loving it! If I ever see a flip-pac in this side of the U.S. I'm snatching that thing up for my 4Runner.

suntinez

Explorer
This can of worms is moving at a snails pace. Last weekend I sanded just about all the edges to be bonded. Rain in the forecast this weekend so there wont be any progress.
The lines and proportions are perfect in my eye.

I agree! In fact I can't stop thinking about doing this to my 88 4runner. Thanks for blazing the trail :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman