1st Gen 87 Toyota 4Runner

dajobo

I have a long 3 year history with this red Runner. I bought this from a guy who lived over an hour away. When I asked if he would trust driving it on the highway for that long, his response was “I would drive this to Alaska”. This became a running joke.
IMG-4163.JPG

After driving this rust free runner 45mph on the highway with a death wobble, I made it home. First thing I did is popped the valve cover “the previous owner said he replaced the chain about 20k miles ago” the guy told me. Well, I learned a good lesson at that point, always ask for documentation. Timing chain guides were nonexistent… and that’s when I saw I have a lot of work to do.
20180524_203433_Original.JPG

Over the years, this 4Runner has morphed quite a bit. My main goal is to keep it as a very capable overland vehicle. Having IFS, I did not want to do a SAS. I wanted the drive ability as this also over time became my daily driver.

Summer of 19, i added a Spartan locker, and raptor lined it in my garage.

Summer of 2020 I added bumpers.

Through the years I’ve done a lot of misc things to this rig, and it’s still changing. I want to get rock sliders, and fine tune a few things here and there. I do need to get more HP out of this 22re, so I was going to purchase a header and look into other ways of sprucing it up.
IMG_4348.JPEG
IMG_4550.JPG
IMG_4813.JPEGIMG_4789.JPEGIMG_4792.JPEG

dajobo

This 4Runner had the typical dashboard crack. It had a single crack, and it was bad. I fixed the crack and decided to use raptor liner to cover it - I figured if I didn't like the look I could shop another dashpad on ebay and pay the outrages prices for one.
IMG_4172.JPEG

This DLX model has slowly been changing to an SR5, I updated the dash cluster to the SR5, and also installed A/C
IMG_3144.JPEG

Just recently I replaced all the steering linkages, I went to Rock Auto and purchased Mevotech brand ball joints and tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, and got a beefed up steering stabilizer. I plan on doing a front diff drop soon to help with the axle angles.
IMG_4718.jpeg

I also fabricated my own rear spare tire rack. I bought a 200lbs strap hinge of amazon, and did some welding with my cheap welder.

IMG_4458.JPEG
I since moved the CB radio antenna to the upper bar on the bumper. I need my antenna to be mounted low so I can still park in the garage, but I realized have the upper bar wrap around it was causing interference.

Here is a few pictures of when I raptor lined it. I have been impressed with this stuff. I work at a body shop, and one of my biggest fears is the raptor liner fading and turning pink over time (even though they say it has UV protectants in it). Well its definitely held up, even when I got off roading. I think its scratched in one spot, from a rock, and thats it.
IMG_1823.JPEG
IMG_1831.JPEG
Yes, I should've tarped the garage floor, that wasn't fun cleaning up.

The next project I've been mulling over is making a bed rack that goes over the shell - for a roof top tent.

utherjorge

Observer
Love this whole build. I also really like that raptor on the dash. My Amigo's dash is great...but not my GX470. Very nice job all around. When and if my Amigo eats itself finally, i have always wanted a first gen 4runner. There is one near me in a barn that I drive past weekly that I want to know more about...

dajobo

I like the new texture of the body. Is raptor liner difficult to clean/maintain?

I researched the heck out of Raptor before using it. I expected it to be more difficult then what it is to clean. I have a harbor freight pressure washer I spray it with, combine that with a wash brush (don't have to worry about clear coat scratching), and it cleans up great. With that though, its not perfect. I do have a spot on my hood that a couple of "black dots" made a home - no idea what they are, but they haven't cleared up with my monthly washing. I plan to use a tooth pick and see what that'll do just haven't got around to it.

dajobo

Love this whole build. I also really like that raptor on the dash. My Amigo's dash is great...but not my GX470. Very nice job all around. When and if my Amigo eats itself finally, i have always wanted a first gen 4runner. There is one near me in a barn that I drive past weekly that I want to know more about...

I think a GX470 is next for me, I've been eye balling them anyways. Would love to do a build on one of those. Building this vehicle and learning how the upgrades enhance off road performance and feeling the difference was a lot of fun. Addicting really, I see why this is an expensive hobby.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Not sure if it’s been done yet but get yourself a set of ball joint spacers and back off the torsion bars a bit . You’ll have the same lift but a softer riding front end .

dajobo

Not sure if it’s been done yet but get yourself a set of ball joint spacers and back off the torsion bars a bit . You’ll have the same lift but a softer riding front end .

Yep! I have 1.5" BJ spacers up there, and actually tightened the torsion bars. Between my 35" tires and the heavy bumper and winch, had too much sag.

Nicklovin

This 4Runner had the typical dashboard crack. It had a single crack, and it was bad. I fixed the crack and decided to use raptor liner to cover it - I figured if I didn't like the look I could shop another dashpad on ebay and pay the outrages prices for one.
View attachment 663292

This DLX model has slowly been changing to an SR5, I updated the dash cluster to the SR5, and also installed A/C
View attachment 663293

Just recently I replaced all the steering linkages, I went to Rock Auto and purchased Mevotech brand ball joints and tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, and got a beefed up steering stabilizer. I plan on doing a front diff drop soon to help with the axle angles.
View attachment 663294

I also fabricated my own rear spare tire rack. I bought a 200lbs strap hinge of amazon, and did some welding with my cheap welder.

View attachment 663295
I since moved the CB radio antenna to the upper bar on the bumper. I need my antenna to be mounted low so I can still park in the garage, but I realized have the upper bar wrap around it was causing interference.

Here is a few pictures of when I raptor lined it. I have been impressed with this stuff. I work at a body shop, and one of my biggest fears is the raptor liner fading and turning pink over time (even though they say it has UV protectants in it). Well its definitely held up, even when I got off roading. I think its scratched in one spot, from a rock, and thats it.
View attachment 663296
View attachment 663297
Yes, I should've tarped the garage floor, that wasn't fun cleaning up.

The next project I've been mulling over is making a bed rack that goes over the shell - for a roof top tent.
Hey which color red of raptor did you use? I love how yours looks. I did mine and it’s a brighter red, but it also turns a bit pinkish when covered and dust from wheeling

Attachments

• 4F8BF389-88E5-4703-B830-F5E867B6D2D7.jpeg
    4F8BF389-88E5-4703-B830-F5E867B6D2D7.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12