1st Gen Cummins survival truck build thread

flyin6

Observer
Tree limb: yes
But
Also 2X4 mover-ah-part-ers

When I wrote the mission statement, having the capability of driving through a standard 2X4 wall was one of the requirements

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Subbed, gotta come back, nice build, got an EMP proof Cummins powered TJ myself.

flyin6

Observer
Subbed, gotta come back, nice build, got an EMP proof Cummins powered TJ myself.

I'd like to see that, the guys would as well. Many of them are here, we all like this site! Stop over to my site and post a pic or two of that Jeep if you get the chance

flyin6

Observer
Started the rear bumper/tire carrier/water can carrier

Attachments

• IMG_6160 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6160 (Large).JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 65

flyin6

Observer
I've got a Emp proof hot rod expedition Trail 90. I can attach a side car if the bleep really hits the fan!

No such thing
Besides the 73 Dnepr has that covered for ya
But
I have one for ya
For real
In Baghdad, in 2006
When I was flying BlackWater little birds providing convoy coverage for folks
I offered to cover the first ever BIAP (Baghdad International Airport) bike run down the most dangerous piece of road in the world.
A couple of knuckleheads had one of those russian scrap iron bike things and had actually scored a real MG-42 machine gun! Combat zone...One can find anything that was designed to hurt people... and mounted it to that goofy lookin' bike and then wanted to ride it to the airport!
Now that's a real biker!
I imagine they would have had to use the machine gun, and my door gunners would have had some work to do as well.

I'd have a hard time deciding whether my truck or that bike is the uglier of the lot! :)

flyin6

Observer
Rear bumper/tire carrier under construction
Has a 10K winch
up to 3/8" steel in places for pushing things out of the way
tire carrier with water jug container for 3 NATO water cans
Integrated Hi-Lift jack and other things

Attachments

• IMG_6252 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6252 (Large).JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6251 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6251 (Large).JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6248 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6248 (Large).JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 53

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Did you plate or otherwise reinforce the frame? Figuring you did based on how built everything is, but I don't recall seeing anything.

flyin6

Observer
I boxed the front of the frame back to about the leading edge of the door with 1/4" plate. Additionally, there is some reinforcing going on around the steering gear box. The truck got 4 more crossmembers and the rear is bolted to that water/alcohol tank which is made from 1/4" wall aluminum and is bolted to each frame rail right at the back end. That entire area has quadrupled in strength over stock.

Now having said all that, and most people will disagree with me (and they would be wrong) with respect to this series and similar trucks, the frames need to flex. I know...runs contrary to modern convention, but frames of this vintage that are all boxed up have shown severe cracking at specific locations, whereas, I have at least one guy on my website who is rebuilding his crew cab mid 80's Dodge for the third time. Second iteration accumulated in excess of 300K. He photo'd the frame following extensive cleaning and media blasting and that sucker was stock and showed no cracks!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I agree. Flexing reduces the risk stress fractures, especially over a longer frame such as yours. On a shorter/lighter truck like a Hilux for example, not such a big deal. My curiosity was more related to the sheer stress that the weight of large steel bumpers puts on the ends of the frame that hang past any cross-members.

flyin6

Observer
Got the pivoting spare tire carrier mostly figured out and fabbed

Attachments

• IMG_6352 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6352 (Large).JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6353 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6353 (Large).JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6354 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6354 (Large).JPG