1st gen Disco questions

Bullseye240

Adventurer
I'm in Italy and am looking to buy possibly a diesel Disco or diesel Defender to bring back with me and I have a few questions about first gen Disco's:

Is the diesel in the Disco worth it?

What would be a deal breaker in your opinon?

What were the options in the 89 model year?
(the first year I could bring back when I return)

Problem areas to look for:

Good place for aftermarket parts in the U.S.:
(both replacment and upgrades)

Also things that could be/should be swapped like transfer/trans axles that would be a good upgrade while I'm here:
(to avoid registration/importation problems)

Anything you think would help me make up my mind:

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Bullseye240

Adventurer
It will be by the time it get to the U.S. I dont transfer back untill late 2012, so it will have to make the trip just before I return and it should take a month or two to make it. So it will be 2013 by the time I get it and customs gets to see it.

revor

Explorer
Well Pre 1994 Disco's and RRC's weren't quite as "pretty" as the later versions. But they're certainly cool if you can find a clean one. the 200 TDi Diesel engines are a great piece of work and live long dependable lives, BUT they're not fast.
You will find that in some way or another later model Disco Accesories will fit straight on or require only slight mods (using later model parts) they fit just fine,
Personally I love my Disco's but if given the choice of bringing over a Defender I would bring over a cklean 90 or 110 in a second, it's going to cost more but it should retain it's value more than a Disco or RRC.
All of them will be 10 spline up front with some 90's and all 110's having 24 spline in the rear. The Defenders will have drum brakes in the rear the Disco's Disc. Defender Interiors are very easy to upgrade to later model interiors albeit a bit expensive.
Replacement parts are pretty easily available if you look and accessories are available from many of us.
There weren't a lot of options offered on these cars, I would just look for the cleanest corrosion free one I could find regardless of what you choose.

Just My $.02

Bullseye240

Adventurer
IIRC it has to be 25 years and older to be imported with the diesel.

See link: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ Site/index.html

"Under 49 U.S.C. § 30112(a), a person may not permanently import into the United States a motor
vehicle manufactured after the date that an applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS)
takes effect unless the vehicle complies with the standard and is so certified by its original
manufacturer. This prohibition applies to both new and used motor vehicles, but does not apply to
motor vehicles that are at least 25 years old (based on the date that the vehicle was manufactured)."

Have some more reasearch to do but pretty sure it's mostly safety standards to meet, which arent that hard to do. the 25 year rule means no compliance to any standards. I think they leave the emmissions up to the indivual state to determine. But like I said I'm still reasearching this. I still have time to learn this before my "deadline".

Last edited:

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Well Pre 1994 Disco's and RRC's weren't quite as "pretty" as the later versions. But they're certainly cool if you can find a clean one.

If I was looking for "pretty" then I wouldn't be looking at Land Rovers would I?:sombrero:
Just kidding, they have a "functional beauty" all their own.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Have some more reasearch to do but pretty sure....
The automobile grey market is effectively shut down for individuals. It used to be that you could get a vehicle and make sure it met all the requirements yourself and import it. That hasn't been the case for a long time since the Feds changed the rules and only a limited number of certified shops can do the conversion, and they are not cheap.

For what you want to do, the 25 year rule is what you need to be focusing on.
There are a few exceptions if you're a foreign national, like military, diplomat, person on holiday, etc.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
There are a few exceptions if you're a foreign national, like military, diplomat, person on holiday, etc.

:sombrero:How do you think I wound up in Italy?:sombrero: Good old Uncle Sam sent me and my wife here for a few years. From what I browsed so far today it looks like as long as it meets the safety regs or can be made to meet it then getting it in the States is not the hard part. As far as registering it, well Florida doesn't require smog checks and I am technically a Florida resident.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I think he meant foreign military (as in a NATO military member stationed in the US) that would bring their own vehicle for a certain period of time, much like we do when we PCS overseas, then go home.

Stick with the 25 year or older rule. You're only asking for headaches trying to get around them.

overlander

Expedition Leader
As cheap as disco 1's are now over here, I would by a great 300 TDI over there, drive it while your there, focusing on engine and drive train maintenace and refurbishment, then when you get close to return, remove the powertrain and any other great parts from it, and crate it back home as parts. You can include it all in the move package and let Uncle Sam pay the shipping.

When you get back here, buy a later year Disco 1 with a great body and dead engine, then have someone take your diesel powertrain and convert it. You'll have a sweet diesel NAS Disco 1.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Not a bad Idea and have thought about it since reseaching this. As far as having someone install it, I would have to do it myself in order to feel right about it.(used to be a diesel mech in a former life:Mechanic:)
Were the 3 door models brought to the states, can't remember myself:confused: Oh well more research.
Sorry if I misunderstood about the military ref or if my post sounded snobbish.:oops:.
Anyway thanks for all the replies so far, and keep em coming this helps.

Yorker

Adventurer
Look for a nice 25 yr old 110 or 90. Italy was supposedly one of the biggest export markets for Land Rovers, and they are all RHD so it would be an ideal place to look for one IMHO. I don't know why more people don't seek them out from over there, England isn't the only place to find these things...

evilfij

Explorer
Look for a nice 25 yr old 110 or 90. Italy was supposedly one of the biggest export markets for Land Rovers, and they are all RHD so it would be an ideal place to look for one IMHO. I don't know why more people don't seek them out from over there, England isn't the only place to find these things...

You mean LHD not RHD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998