1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Mertens

I've had the same idea for bobbing a long bed onto the short for my first gen. My lack of body skills is the only thing keeping me from attempting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had the same idea for bobbing a long bed onto the short for my first gen. My lack of body skills is the only thing keeping me from attempting it.

Damn, looks awesome! I vote long bed.

I say leave it as it is and add your armor... its beautiful

If you keep it high go long bed if you get it lower bob the bed.

That's what the inside of my head sounds like.

Mertens

Crappy picture stolen from another forum, but food for thought.
93340a9273fab187298fca9a650444c2.jpg

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Those shackle angles are terrible!! If you would pull a leaf and fix those you'd lose 2" of lift all around lol..

I vote keep the regular short bed. I don't know why you'd want to put a regular long bed on there. The short bed is the perfect length.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Also, you should be around a 105"-106" wheel base depending on how far you moved your axle forward. I truly believe that it is the perfect length. I've rode in Jeeps that have 93" wheelbases and they are very unstable & I've spend a lot of time offroad in a Ext Cab Pickup with like a 114" wheelbase and we scrubbed and scrapped on everything. 106" is the perfect balance between clearance and stability.

Those shackle angles are terrible!! If you would pull a leaf and fix those you'd lose 2" of lift all around lol..

I vote keep the regular short bed. I don't know why you'd want to put a regular long bed on there. The short bed is the perfect length.

Also, you should be around a 105"-106" wheel base depending on how far you moved your axle forward. I truly believe that it is the perfect length. I've rode in Jeeps that have 93" wheelbases and they are very unstable & I've spend a lot of time offroad in a Ext Cab Pickup with like a 114" wheelbase and we scrubbed and scrapped on everything. 106" is the perfect balance between clearance and stability.

You are right on both counts. The shackle angles were even worse before, but the original owner used it to haul gravel and supplies into the Rubicon. 1000lbs at a time. I have already pulled a leaf out of each leaf pack and it is settling down still, but I'm going to wait until I get the bumpers, sliders, winch, roll bar and tool boxes on to adjust final ride height.

I think I've made my mind up to leave the short bed. The front axle has been moved 4" forward and the rear axle 1" back for a total of 108" wheel base. Also, the relationship between tire diameter, axle width and wheelbase don't add up. I would need to run 39's or 40's and 65" wide axles to make the long wheelbase numbers work out.

Simons

Adventurer
No doubt she's a stiff ride! 500lbs should soften things up a bit, but I think those rear springs will still need to be de-arched, maybe once you've got it all armored up you can use your press on the springs to fine tune the final ride height? Maybe. She looks really good with that unmolested bed, although I do kinda like that idea of the long+short combo. Maybe another truck?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
You are right on both counts. The shackle angles were even worse before, but the original owner used it to haul gravel and supplies into the Rubicon. 1000lbs at a time. I have already pulled a leaf out of each leaf pack and it is settling down still, but I'm going to wait until I get the bumpers, sliders, winch, roll bar and tool boxes on to adjust final ride height.

I think I've made my mind up to leave the short bed. The front axle has been moved 4" forward and the rear axle 1" back for a total of 108" wheel base. Also, the relationship between tire diameter, axle width and wheelbase don't add up. I would need to run 39's or 40's and 65" wide axles to make the long wheelbase numbers work out.

Finalizing the weight and pulling a leaf should make the shackle angle about right. A lot of people seem to run their shackles very steep like 75* or 15* (whichever way you look at it). I like my shackle to be around 35-45*.. It just rides so much better IMO. I ran about a 15* angle about a week before I started swapping springs and I wouldn't go back now.

4" forward is a lot. Almost enough the warrant an FJ60 steering box! Lol

I've been considering moving my axle back a little more. Right now it's about .25" back, but I'd like for it to be around an inch.

Simons

Adventurer
I wonder if a main leaf 4" longer behind the centering bolt would work in the front? It would keep your stretch where you have it and also allow for a little more shackle angle to help the ride?
Dunno just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman