1st Gen Honda CRV

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Just made my first move away from Rover to a 1997 Honda CRV with Honda's AWD system. It has 190,000 with a recent timing belt and radiator. What sort of other maintenance items do I need to address?

P54640900.jpg

P54641301.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Off the top of my head, I'd look at the following

-Steering rack (leaks/creaks)

-All fluids (brake, steering, oil, transmission, rear diffrential.)

-Check CV boots at all corners for cracks and leaking grease

-Hit all chassis lube points with a grease gun

-Check brake pad and disc condition

-Go and buy 4 new spark plugs, air filter/cabin filter, and fuel filter. Does it have a distributer? if it does, spring for some plug wires, cap and rotor.

-Do a function check of all light bulbs and replace as necessary

-Check wipers front and rear, and replace as necessary.

-Check your fuse panel, and make note of the type of fuses you have. Go to a parts store or junkyard and get yourself 2-3 spares of whatever you need.

-Check tire pressure of all your tires including your spare and top off as necessary.

zukrider

Explorer
Valve adjusts no more than 30k each!!!!!! t-belt is only good for 90k, and sometimes not even that! im a honda tech. broken belt=bent valves everytime. and this head design is such that the bent valve jams the valve guide into the cast, thus needing a new head. very pricey. if you dont keep up on valve adjusts, the exhaust side will tighten up and cause a burnt valve. very expensive issues. otherwise they are a fairly good vehicle. when the rear diff fluid gets old, it will start to squeel on tight turns. use only honda dual pump fluid in it. and the auto trans, needs honda fluid only. aftermarket fluids are not compatible, no matter how much they swear they are!

honestly, i would not do much offroading with it. though it could be a neat little fishing truck. sell it while it still has value. just being honest. feel free to ask any questions service wise. been a factory tech for a decade now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior