1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

spam&rice_420

My runner\tow rig... I also have a youtube vid of the truck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnxow7bPmjk

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

Sr5trd99

Adventurer
Hey Guys,
I just joined a little bit ago but heres some pictures of my truck on it's lates trip to Pismo Beach.

dscn6498.jpg

kevin2011.jpg

kevin2021.jpg

irish_11

Explorer
What back spacing are you guys running who have 33x12.5's. I've got a set of wheels with the stock backspacing and I think its time to upgrade to some 33's from my 31x10.5's. I'd rather not have to buy new wheels, but it all depends on the backspacing.

bmh

Adventurer
you could probably get away with a 33 x 1050 x 15's on the stock rims. I have 15 x 8 with a -19mm offset. I need to move my axle forward about an inch to inch and a half.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
What back spacing are you guys running who have 33x12.5's. I've got a set of wheels with the stock backspacing and I think its time to upgrade to some 33's from my 31x10.5's. I'd rather not have to buy new wheels, but it all depends on the backspacing.
Skip the 12.50's and go with the 10.50's. Unless all you do is MUD and SAND the 10.50's will out perform the 12.50's in every other category (ok SNOW is another place for wide tires) and be alot easier on your truck on the road. I'm running 33X10.50 BFG AT's and while they're not the hottest ticket in the mud they're pretty damn good for nearly everything but. That and they really ride GREAT. no wandering (something you'll notice alot of with wider tires as they grab ruts etc) smoother ride (I had 31's beofre just like you) and off-road it's night and day compared to my old tires. THe diff clearence combined with the already great overall ground clearence makes this little rtruck pretty imperssive for a DD IFS rig. Be ready to re-gear though, I've defiantly noticed a loss of power and 1st Gear Low/4wd just isn't low enough now. I'll be interested to see if the 4.88's that I'm swaping in will make 4LO ok again or I may go with a dual set-up or just say nscrew-it and run 4.7's in my single case.

So long story short, skip the wide tires and stay with the 10.50's (I'd have gotten the 9.50's if I could have found them)... On stock BS wheels you can fit 33X10.50's with NO lift.

Cheers

Dave

austintaco

Explorer
You really need to read this post about my history of this truck and how I found it online 10 + years later on Yotatech in Minneapolis after selling it in Dallas,TX. I flew from Austin, TX to pick it up and my girlfriend and I drove it back. When I sold it, the truck was stock and not running very well, but it was very clean and rust free. http://www.yotatech.com/f115/anyone-buy-back-truck-you-sold-10-years-ago-119933/

And here she is in her current state:
PA280818.jpg

Before the added protection:
treesbowl.jpg

poser shot:
P9280570.jpg

With her family before I sold the 89
P7300538.jpg

The owner in Minneapolis completely redid the truck. He put in a new engine with a competition cam, headers, exhaust, weber 38. TJM up front, custom rear bumper and sliders, 4.88's, locked front and rear, longfields, soft top, and riding on 35's.
I have added some protection, crossover steering, new rear springs, and worked out a few mechanical and electrical bugs along the way.
Thanks for viewing. I really love having this truck back!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Welcome to ExPo....jjdavids....and austintaco!

That's a fun story about finding your 4Runner again AT!:costumed-smiley-007

Thanks for sharing.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

A couple weeks back at the Elliot Mine, East County San Diego.

My 19 y/o son with me on a 4x4 trip for the first time since 2004! It was a Blessing! He now loves to "Spot"...!

SWRliftingtireatElliotMine.jpg

Thanks for the pic....XJ_Mike

SirCampalot

Adventurer
Keep the pics coming... gotta love the 1st gen runners. I'd love to find a unmolested '84/'85 (I know, they are RARE) to build up. :)

brian7498

mine :)

Ok heres mine:) 86 4runner stock except the 31's:) This was taken out at Cliens Ranch last weekend, first time off-road and it did a lot better than i thought it would, i never got stuck, nothing broke, and i had no puddles when i got home:victory:

Attachments

• {Brian}2.jpg
    {Brian}2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 196
  • {Brian}4.jpg
    {Brian}4.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 155

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Keep the pics coming... gotta love the 1st gen runners. I'd love to find a unmolested '84/'85 (I know, they are RARE) to build up. :)

I've actually seen a surprising number of more-or-less stock 1st gen 4runners here in CO. Of course, most of them are 86-89 models with the IFS, but every now and then you'll see an untouched SFA model.

I think the dry air and the fact that they don't use much salt on the roads helps preserve older vehicles here. I've seen vehicles that come from the Northeast and Upper Midwest and they look hideous. Sadly those 1st gen 4runners are very susceptible to rust!

austintaco

Explorer
My opinion is that the chrom trim rings like to trap that salt and the rust can start there. By the time you know its there, the damage is done. Another bad spot is behind that black or color coded trim in front of the rear tire. Luckily, my gold one is mostly rust free thanks to it being a TX truck originally, and it's time spent in MN was locked up and as a winter project so it didn't see salt.

Oh, and here's the new tube work on my TJM by Cam at Krawltex.com.
10_06_08_006.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

Adventurer
My opinion is that the chrom trim rings like to trap that salt and the rust can start there. By the time you know its there, the damage is done. Another bad spot is behind that black or color coded trim in front of the rear tire. Luckily, my gold one is mostly rust free thanks to it being a TX truck originally, and it's time spent in MN was locked up and as a winter project so it didn't see salt.

Oh, and here's the new tube work on my TJM by Cam at Krawltex.com.
10_06_08_006.jpg

That tube work on the TJM looks nice on the first gen 4runner. That reminds me exactly of a friends 3rd gen 4runner w/ the same bumper - he added some tube to the top of his TJM in a very similar design.

4Runner_002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan