1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

borison

Adventurer
After countless years, I have finally purchased my ideal 4Runner. I have always wanted a 1985 4runner for the reasons everyone knows, but the other reason is for me to do the diesel swap I have always wanted to do. I picked up a really rough 2wd 85 Toyota pickup with the 2LT diesel several years ago to anticipate swapping the engine into a 4runner. Anyhow, the 4runner is bone stock with exception of a aftermarket radio and the infamous door panel speaker installation, errr. Overall the 4Runner is good condition, I am the third owner and the second owner grew up with the first owners son. At some point I will do a build log of the plans for it. But in the meantime I will do my research and figure out what I what want to do and what order to do it in.
View attachment 327185View attachment 327186
Great looking rig. Love that color and the white steel wheels. I think on the exterior all I'd change is removing the black belt-line stripe and that lower stripe/chrome(?) moulding deal.

NZHILUX

My 1988 turbo diesel Hilux Surf.

Night driving was almost dangerous with the stock bulbs, I couldn't see on coming bends at night with my lights on dip. So I threw in some Nuvara +120% power bulbs, I found it Made a small difference, but still not happy. Hella 550 comets spotties came to the rescue!
With these aero bars you can spend a small fortune on brackets for accessories such as spot light mounts. That didn't appeal to me. I think the brackets looked bulky and out of place and I wanted a sleek installation. I bolted the lights straight to the bar and ran the cables all internally. Really happy with the result, no zip ties or wires visible. Oh and the 550's light up the road like the 4th of July!
DSC_1495.jpg
DSC_1483.jpg
DSC_1482.jpg

NZHILUX

Found this gem on Trade Me, New Zealand's version of eBay.
It's a genuine Nardi.
Picked it up for the equivalent of US $30. It was a little rough around the edges so I went through the pain staking taste of re furbishing it. ALOT of sanding, by hand for the majority of it, then with a dremmel for the finger grooves. Finished it off with about 8 coats of International Goldspar marine varnish.
Love the stock look of the 88 1st gen, but I thought the addition of the genuine Nardi would look sweeeeeeet.
DSC_1351.jpg

DSC_1352.jpg

DSC_1362.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1351.jpg
    DSC_1351.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 42

paynemw

img_0069_05a34e99191bf011c3b00d79696f7384b1dac330.jpg
Current configuration
img_0206_a7d58fb9d363b14f296a7c6398bc7a854f123b71.jpg
Seats out of a RSX
img_0706_29289af992f9f657fe457b0d2fd4f0c31571722f.jpg
33's on stock suspension (sans the zuk mod)...
IMG_0764.JPG
it helps when you have a detroit in the back and the tires aired down to 12PSI on OEM Toyota alloys...
IMG_0767.JPG
wheelin' in Ranger Panties... only way to do it.

Arktikos

Explorer
Great looking rig. Love that color and the white steel wheels. I think on the exterior all I'd change is removing the black belt-line stripe and that lower stripe/chrome(?) moulding deal.

Even though it's an old post from several months ago I want to second this approval. Wouldn't remove any of the stripes though. Had an '85 of the same color with the 22RE.

Great truck, though 4 doors would have been nice.

rickjames8

Hey folks - ex 1st Gen owner here, looking to buy another one.

My first was an 88 5spd that did duty as my DD for a couple years, then got modded when I intended to drive it from the US to Russia via South America and Africa. I had most roads and shipping routes planned. Truck was modified with room to sleep, and yet store a mountain bike inside. I installed a second gas tank and some helper air bags in the back. Got ~3 months in to the trip and the truck was stolen in LA with everything I owned in the world inside. Well, not everything, The night it as stolen I'd brought inside my laptop and a bag with 3 silk disco shirts. So I had that going for me, which was nice. In any case, I didn't have the heart to build another truck to complete the trip, so I got a backpack and a bus ticket and continued along my path. I was on the road for 2.5 years and used about every mode of transportation possible, including a donkey at one point. Ended up in Thailand where the beers were cold enough that I figured I could stay and chill for a while, and that ended up being 8 years.

Now back in the 'real world' (with a real job even) and using a Delorean as my daily driver. Looking to sell it and get something more practical and can't stop remembering my first love of the 1st gen 4runner.

Some pics:

new4run1.jpg

fairfax.jpg

insidetruck.jpg

nebrsun.jpg

panos.jpg

4runlake.jpg

tahoe1.jpg

austintaco

Explorer
I want to have beers with Rickjames and hear about his travels. There's a very clean 87 SR5 22re on Texas Off Road swap for $5100. I don't know how to link to a closed FB group. It's maroon on red.....but its a 5spd and unmolested

rickjames8

I want to have beers with Rickjames and hear about his travels. There's a very clean 87 SR5 22re on Texas Off Road swap for $5100. I don't know how to link to a closed FB group. It's maroon on red.....but its a 5spd and unmolested

Rickjames is always up for beers. Will need to check out the FB group as I'm looking for something more or less stock. Thanks!!

rickjames8

A Delorean? Interesting. Bummer about your truck, but it sounds like you made the most of it :>D

Yeah, the Delorean fell in to that "i've always wanted one" category. It's been surprisingly reliable. Just like any older car, the systems are pretty easy to work on.

As for the truck, I figured if I let the theft get me down, then they'd won. And if I pressed on, then I'd won. :) The adventure always awaits, regardless of the mode of transport. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior