1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The 3.0 has a reputation for a reason. While yours may have been the 8th wonder of the world, I have wheeled with several people that have the 3.0 and all have had serious issues at the most in opportune times. I have also out ran the 3.0 in several 4runners and that's saying something because lets face it, the 22re is not known for it's power.

Clutch

<---Pass
The 3.0 has a reputation for a reason. While yours may have been the 8th wonder of the world, I have wheeled with several people that have the 3.0 and all have had serious issues at the most in opportune times. I have also out ran the 3.0 in several 4runners and that's saying something because lets face it, the 22re is not known for it's power.

meh, the 22R and the 3.0 both suck, 3.4 swap is where it is at. :p

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Haha. I agree. Mine will be 5VZ powered by Christmas hopefully.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I WANT a little more power, don't NEED that much.

Honestly, if I were going to go V8, it would be a GM LS series, and not a yota transplant.

One of my techs has an 88' with a 3VZ at 310k his parents bought new, and the heads have never been off.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I WANT a little more power, don't NEED that much.

Honestly, if I were going to go V8, it would be a GM LS series, and not a yota transplant.

One of my techs has an 88' with a 3VZ at 310k his parents bought new, and the heads have never been off.

88 was the 1st year for the 3vz and seems like that best year for it too lol. my was my parents they got brand new as well. and im a toyota tech haha.
my dads current 2000 tundra has 335k miles and motor has never been open. drives almost like new

i really wanna swap the entire tundra drivetrain in. 4.7 with a newer 4 speed automatic trans and t case. or find a even newer 4.7 with a 5 speed auto

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
That would be fun. My Tundra has 215k on it. Thats a great motor, just more than what what I'd use.

New...er paint!

After being red and black, he needed an update...

Before:
2013-02-06_17-22-42_803.jpg

After:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98349378@N04/9499252516/

Toyotero

Explorer
I'm VERY familiar with this truck (shameless bump to the current topic page) and just to let everyone know, the owner, in spite of owning a sweet FJ40, would like it back, please :drool:

Scott Wilson's truck is and for ever shall be one of my favorites.

I think his truck was last I heard in Colorado Springs, CO.

Whoa, I didn't know he had finished his 'Cruiser... actually, I didn't know he had started it. The last I saw he had purchase it and life was getting in the way.
I just read his whole build thread. What a clean machine.

Last edited:

CorkOrangutan

My 85 in the lost coast

Fully loaded

USAL Beach

USAL Road

117k and i'm the second owner, good replacement for my 87 Xtra cab that disappeared without a trace in April

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Here's my 1988 4Runner. This is the only photo of it I can find right now so please excuse our dorky 'poses' in front of it. This was about 8 years ago... and the first time I visited the in-laws. They must have been impressed by the 3" body lift, 63" chevies, welded 4.10s, and 35" MTRs. The cranked torsion bar IFS, 3.0L, and auto survived constant 4000+ rpm shifts for 5 years. This thing HATED hills. Also, check out the shackles!

9664157835_f78aae8d5a_c.jpg

Tanner.

Last weekend, a couple friends from work and I packed up for an epic 3 day backpacking trip to Athelney Pass. It's a 2hr drive NW of Pemberton, BC, Canada on the Lillooet Forest Service Road. After 45.5km's following that FSR we had to take several branch roads through restricted forestry claims. This was the view behind us before we reached the end.

4Runner by Tanner.K, on flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle