1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

desert_steve

Hi guys, longtime lurker, just officially joined the site tonight.
Anyways, heres my 89 4runner, built more as a "go fast" truck than a crawler, but most importantly, it was built with adventures in mind.
Specs are: 3.4 swapped in (thanks to a really good friend that had more motivation than I did). When we originally built it we put a used total chaos genI caddy kit up front with torsion bars, but I recently upgraded to their genII kit with boxed lower arms. Out back it has deaver 62" springs with a cantilever kit to keep the rear shocks out of the back/cargo area. It also has an elocker rear end out of a 3rd (?) gen tacoma. I kept the stock wheels since theyre strong, cheap and plentiful, and am running 33 x 12.50 general grabber at2's. Still on the "to do" list is a roll cage, roof rack, simple rear bumper, and a rear seat delete panel *HINT HINT* Ive only taken it out on a few trips, but so far its doing better than I expected. Theres TONS of details that Im missing, but you guys get the idea.
Hopefully I was able to attach a picture lol
20141012_181042.jpg
20141012_132755.jpg
ridgecrest to lee vining oct 14 199.jpg

Last edited:

nmchavez

Hoss
Lofreqjeff, that's a solid Runner. I like the blue with the black rims. My Runner looks to be the same color. I have a set of old stock steelies that I plan to powder coat black when I upgrade to 33x10.50s. Anyway, nice pics!

lofreqjeff

Observer
Lofreqjeff, that's a solid Runner. I like the blue with the black rims. My Runner looks to be the same color. I have a set of old stock steelies that I plan to powder coat black when I upgrade to 33x10.50s. Anyway, nice pics!

Thanks! I love my 4Runner! I got these rims for next to nothing and I really like the black rim look too. The tires are a 33X12.5 but the backspacing is plenty enough not to rub at all - no spacers in front. I have 2" spacers in the rear to try and make up some of the 5" width difference of the front end now that it has a Blazeland long travel on it.

sgiandubh

Observer
Hi guys, longtime lurker, just officially joined the site tonight.
Anyways, heres my 89 4runner, built more as a "go fast" truck than a crawler, but most importantly, it was built with adventures in mind.
Specs are: 3.4 swapped in (thanks to a really good friend that had more motivation than I did). When we originally built it we put a used total chaos genI caddy kit up front with torsion bars, but I recently upgraded to their genII kit with boxed lower arms. Out back it has deaver 62" springs with a cantilever kit to keep the rear shocks out of the back/cargo area. It also has an elocker rear end out of a 3rd (?) gen tacoma. I kept the stock wheels since theyre strong, cheap and plentiful, and am running 33 x 12.50 general grabber at2's. Still on the "to do" list is a roll cage, roof rack, simple rear bumper, and a rear seat delete panel *HINT HINT* Ive only taken it out on a few trips, but so far its doing better than I expected. Theres TONS of details that Im missing, but you guys get the idea.
Hopefully I was able to attach a picture lol

I second the nice fender comment! And sweet truck! Please forgive if this is not the intent of this thread, but what fenders are you running? Do you have any more pics of your track width front to back? The Taco rear is about 4" narrower overall than the TC front, correct?

desert_steve

I second the nice fender comment! And sweet truck! Please forgive if this is not the intent of this thread, but what fenders are you running? Do you have any more pics of your track width front to back? The Taco rear is about 4" narrower overall than the TC front, correct?

sorry for getting back to you so late.
thank you! it was a total p.i.t.a to do lol.
Im running the hanneman 84-88 glass up front ( http://www.hannemannfiberglass.com/custom.asp?id=457567&page=77 ).
I dont have any pics showing the track width, but if my memory serves me right, the 1st gen taco rear end is 1.5" wider (per side) than the stock 4runner rear end. the 2nd gen taco rear end that i have is 3.5" wider (per side) than the stock rear end. adding the TC kit up front widened it 3.25" per side SO, all said and done, the rear end is .25" wider than the front. If you didnt know the rear was a "smidge" wider than the front, youd never notice it.

hulk88surf

Hey guys im new to this site and want to put up a photo of my 1st gen all the way from New Zealand but I go to upload the file and it doesn't work, anyone know why?

bkg

Explorer
my new... er... my old 87. Second time around owning it. 1st time from 96-99(?) as a "built" IFS rig. Helped with the rest of the build that a good friend did over the last 15 years owning it. Now it's back home, so to speak.

Attachments

• WP_20150314_10_41_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150314_10_41_31_Pro.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_20150314_10_41_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150314_10_41_20_Pro.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_20150314_10_36_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150314_10_36_23_Pro.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 27

dfresh285

Observer
What: 1986 Toyota 4Runner GLX 22RE 5-speed

Where: Central Ohio, USA

Mods: Cragar steel wheels with BFG 31x10.5.15, ZUK mod, Trail Gear rear bumper, Yakima roof rack and basket, Hella F500 Driving lights.

Trips: I spent most of 2014 getting this thing in shape as it is my daily driver(approx 30 per day). So far this year we've taken one trip so far to Mohican State Park in Ohio. For being January in Ohio, the truck was pretty warm inside. My wife and I slept in the truck with temps in the mid upper 20's. We plan to really find our adventurous side this year and hope to instill it within my two year old son as well. We have a bunch of trips planned to state parks and camping areas as well. Once my son is comfortable on longer trips, we plan to really get out of Ohio and explore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78