1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
Hello all! Just joined expo recently and this is my first post. This seemed like the best thread for me as I have owned an '85 SR5 and now just recently bought an '86 DLX. I loved the '85 but the body and frame were just rusted half away from 30 years of PA winters. The '86 was on the west coast until I bought it in Ohio. Here she is:IMG_1800.JPGIMG_1801.JPGIMG_1802.JPG

I am planning on keeping it much more of an overlander/adventure vehicle than a rock crawler or mudding truck but it will have to serve as a DD as well. The only planned mod to the suspention right now is the Zuk mod to level out the rear. I will be slowly setting up an interior to serve as a micro camper. Any other suggestions for some basic mods?

Thanks all

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Shortly after I took ownership of mine the 2nd time I took this pic in old salem, here in NC
dafb4a4158d407ab3ea8f753a9b5fab2.jpg

We recently went back so, I felt I needed to replicate the photo, but updated.
a1005ee6eed239cbfc2291a157f81fbb.jpg

I haven't done much in the way of off roading it this year, but think I'm going to take it to Wind Rock for the Appalachian Toyota Roundup in September and leave my fj at the house.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Dorton, what soft top is that? Looks like a softtopper but the logo may have changed? How do you like the tinted vinyl windows?

ssapach

Adventurer
It is a softopper. I'm very pleased with it, and love the tinted vinyl windows.

I love the Softopper as well, but mine has clear windows and they seem to be permanently filthy. Try to clean them, but they just get scuffed up and don't ever look clean anymore.

Tinted would be nice, but I don't want to replace the topper just for that.

Toy-Cra-Ze

Shortly after I took ownership of mine the 2nd time I took this pic in old salem, here in NC
dafb4a4158d407ab3ea8f753a9b5fab2.jpg

We recently went back so, I felt I needed to replicate the photo, but updated.
a1005ee6eed239cbfc2291a157f81fbb.jpg

I haven't done much in the way of off roading it this year, but think I'm going to take it to Wind Rock for the Appalachian Toyota Roundup in September and leave my fj at the house.

Are you not running 255/85s anymore?

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I've swapped to 285 75 16s for the time being. 255 s were on back order, and i had swapped the wheels and tires to my fj cruiser.

Got some 33-10.5's on the 4Runner with enkei wheels. Turned out better than I hoped. OME suspension should be here mid September. Gears will be soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 42

Arktikos

Explorer
Hello all! Just joined expo recently and this is my first post. This seemed like the best thread for me as I have owned an '85 SR5 and now just recently bought an '86 DLX. I loved the '85 but the body and frame were just rusted half away from 30 years of PA winters. The '86 was on the west coast until I bought it in Ohio. Here she is:View attachment 293548View attachment 293549View attachment 293550

I am planning on keeping it much more of an overlander/adventure vehicle than a rock crawler or mudding truck but it will have to serve as a DD as well. The only planned mod to the suspention right now is the Zuk mod to level out the rear. I will be slowly setting up an interior to serve as a micro camper. Any other suggestions for some basic mods?

Thanks all

Very nice. I'm with you for just leveling out the rear and staying with the stock look. No mods necessary, just keep it well maintained. Not a fan of the front bumper, but it looks to mean business.:)

I agree about the bumper. I would rather a much lower profile bumper for sure as this just seems excessive. But hey it came with it and it works for now! And it just gives me another fun project down the road.

Taylor1

Observer
My 10 year slow build
1985 SR5 35s 5.0 HO and AOD
4.88 elocker front and rear in progress

uploadfromtaptalk1438794836991.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle