1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Another shot on Black Bear.

How about some Random 1st Gen. pics on Black Bear?

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0297.jpg

journey

Observer
Thanks for posting up the pic. If I ever find the right first gen I can start working on making it a reality. I really want to build this rack and some internal supports inside the "bed" sheetmatal so the rack could function as rollover protection at least as strong as the original hoop. They would have to go through the floor and hit the frame. I could then remove the internal hoop and reclaim the interior space for storage, sleeping, etc. I will have to put some serious thought into the design and materials at that point.

Thanks for posting up the pic. If I ever find the right first gen I can start working on making it a reality. I really want to build this rack and some internal supports inside the "bed" sheetmatal so the rack could function as rollover protection at least as strong as the original hoop. They would have to go through the floor and hit the frame. I could then remove the internal hoop and reclaim the interior space for storage, sleeping, etc. I will have to put some serious thought into the design and materials at that point.

This set up may be more appropriate for roll over protection and my not compromise the roof seal. Not to mention, in the case of a roll over or tipping on the truck's side, the design above may tweak the "bed" in a way that will make the fiberglass roof unusable.
attachment.php

bmh

Adventurer
I'm at a loss as to why anything but the engine was a better choice. The IFS suspension on the 1st gen is stronger once you add the rear brace. Seems like more work then the repower into the existing frame would have been.

Irbis is local to me and they like to do things unique and original. If I had a cool 10 g's sitting around I would buy it in a heartbeat. The engine is a benefit, as is the suspension. Using coilovers instead of torsion bars adds tons of comfort and you get a lot of years technology with retro first gen looks! How can you not see all of that as a benefit.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Post up yours!

Before the thread gets buried in a sea of wonderful Toyota threads!

.....:costumed-smiley-007

2008_0429AZNMTXtrip0368.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I think I may have to sneak over to my friend's house and take pics of his diesel converted 1st gen. It is EXACTLY to OE specs... down to the mm. A sweet truck.... probably for sale soon to make room for his Trooper, and his 80 series, the list goes on...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Irbis is local to me and they like to do things unique and original. ...Using coilovers instead of torsion bars adds tons of comfort and you get a lot of years technology with retro first gen looks! How can you not see all of that as a benefit.
Oh so that must be why they used C/O's on the UZJ-100's IFS sus. Oh...Wait... They used T-bars ;) THe OLD T-Bar sus may not be as plush, but it's considerably more robust then the current IFS system in toyotas P/U's and SUV's.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78