1st kid and in need of a new Truck, What shall it be??

exploreFL

Observer
Hello all! I have been a lurker for a while and now I have some questions! I see that as far as vehicles, it runs the gamot here! My wife and I are about to have our first child and we are going to be purchasing a vehicle as well, probably a truck unless someone can talk me into a subaru! A little about us, we live in FL and love to travel and see new places, we want to pass this on to our soon to be son as well. I enjoy exploring back roads, dirt trails ect.... You get the point!!
My question is simple, for those of you that have a tacoma or frontier or something similar, do you find you have enough room for the baby in the rear seat? Does your car seat fit without taking up too much room? I have placed ours in a few trucks at the dealership and found that it can be a little tight fitting in the back.
I started leaning towards a full size quad cab, enter tundra crew max!!! But I am just wondering what other parents experience in their vehicles, likes and dislikes maybe even a few picks of what the back seat looks like loaded down with children. Maybe this could give me a view into what to expect!!

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Anthony

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
ehh just find a 80 series land cruiser :)

never been in the seat of a new toco but my gandpa has a 1st gen tundra and while it is doable, it is also quite tight. I personally would look at a 4door or a capable SUV such as the trail edition 4runner. just my 2 cents.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I find that the only vehicles that rear facing infant carriers fit are minivans. Pretty much everything else results in "breaking the rules" of installation/safety. Most notably placing the carrying handle in the forward/down position, with a few inches clearance to the seat in front. Pffft! Yeah right!

speedtre

Explorer
I have a 2002 Tundra ext cab (the kind with rear 1/2 doors) and mine was doable with 1 child. We just had our second and this past weekend we went out to the NOGA mountains for the first time with all 4 of us. It was still doable (5 YO in a booster, infant in rear facing car seat), but it was tight and left very little room for anything else in the cab. Let's put it this way, I'm looking to move to a Tacoma 4 door. I don't want a behemoth like the new Tundra (a 2003-2006 Tundra 4 door wouldn't be too bad though). Those things were not built to go off-road, they were built to haul more crap from Home Depot. :)

I used to have 98 Tacoma ext cab and ever since moving to my Tundra (which I bought so I could fit a single kid in the back ironically) I've missed the smaller feel of my Tacoma. I figure going to a 4 door Tacoma will give me the interior space I need and also reduce the mass of the vehicle. We'll see...

kweetech

Observer
I find that the only vehicles that rear facing infant carriers fit are minivans. Pretty much everything else results in "breaking the rules" of installation/safety. Most notably placing the carrying handle in the forward/down position, with a few inches clearance to the seat in front. Pffft! Yeah right!

our graco snugrude fits in our 2004 DC tacoma just fine, couldn't get it snug enough in the center, so put it behind the pass. seat...no problems.

maximumrob

Adventurer
When my wife and I had our first kid, we drove down to the Dallas Auto Show with the rear facing kid seat in hand and sat in *every* vehicle there with the seat behind the driver (me). Other than vans, the selection that fit that requirement was much smaller than you'd think. There was the Chevy Equinox and a VW sedan, if you can believe it. In every single other vehicle, I couldn't sit where I want with the rear-facing seat properly installed.

So we settled on an '07 Suburban and made another baby. Pick what fits you and keep these three things in mind:
1) You want remote start. It's a God-send when hot or cold outside. Keeps baby happier upon re-entry.
2) You'll need more space than you think to haul kid stuff *and* groceries.
3) You want a rear door that opens up so you have shade/rain protection for changing diapers in the cargo area. Keeps Mama happier, and you, too.

Happy trails, sir, and good luck getting out in the wild. We found that all our hobbies have taken a backseat to the kids for a while.

eugene

Explorer
Our carriers fit in the back seat of my Silverado and my cousin's Dodge just fine, both are extended cab not the bigger quad cab.

Nay

Observer
My next door neighbor has two kids and a Tacoma and Subaru Outback. I have never once seen them take the Tacoma over the Subaru as a family, even into the mountains.

Enclosed storage (SUV) is everything. You will be shocked at how much crap you have to haul around - unless you want to deal with it in a pickup bed, I'd change my plans to a good SUV.

A 100 series Land Cruiser could be an excellent value at this point with reasonable mileage.

SilverBullet

Explorer
1 kid, that leaves too many options.

One thing I weill advise you with a newborn, take your infant seat and base with you to shop. New vehicle standards do not fit the seats properly a lot of the time. Especially cars. Safety warnings and directions on many seats say that the handle is supposed to be forward toward the front seat to act as am impact point (I did a study during my master's on this).

Anyway, long story short, most cars only fit the seat up and handle over the head or even left in the up position. So watch out and look carefully with the newborn.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
My daughter has outgrown the infant carrier already at 8 months, and so we had to put her into one of the 3-in-1 seats, rear facing. Damn thing doesn't even fit properly in our LWB minivan! The biggest problem is the recline. I cannot get it to lay down at the correct angle. I've got the base tilted back all the way, and a towel rolled up and stuffed under it as the instructions say (what a ************* cludge!) and it's still tipped too vertical. I'm not going to start stacking rolled up towels under it trying to get it tipped enough. That's rediculous. Then I'm jumping on the thing and yanking the strap with all my might to get it cinched down, and it's still all floppy. In anything but a simple straight frontal, it will flop around. Probably enough to hit my other kid.

Then, to add insult to injury, since Elise is now in Phil's old seat, we installed our other seat in the van for Phil. It's a simple forward-facing only seat, so it fits fine, but the rear tether strap is too short to reach the latch point which is down at the bottom of the seat frame on the van!!! GAHH!

I stand by my statement, that it is basically impossible to install a rear facing seat in almost any vehicle while meeting all the "rules". If you have, post pics, I'd like to see it.

Sorry for the rant, but this situation with the car seats pisses me off every time I have to deal with it.

exploreFL

Observer
Thanks guys, good advise so far! I am still thinking truck, but have been contemplating a subaru outback, which would full fill pretty much all the needs except the convenience of the truck bed! We actually just had our baby boy Friday! 8lbs 13 oz and 21.5 inches long!! Big boy! Any who I will keep you all posted!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Then I'm jumping on the thing and yanking the strap with all my might to get it cinched down, and it's still all floppy. In anything but a simple straight frontal, it will flop around. Probably enough to hit my other kid.

You need the Mighty-Tite: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267437

This is the ONLY way I can get our baby seat properly installed in my wife's car. When using any sort of seat belt or LATCH strap with a tension lock, you just don't have enough leverage to get proper tension on the belt, even if you put all your weight into the seat to compress the thing.

The Mighty tite makes things so easy you couldn't believe it. Add it to the belt as indicated in the instructions, and give it a few pumps and WHAMMO. The belt will be so tight the seat is ROCK solid.

As for car recommendations: Station Wagon, SUV, or Mini-Van. Others have tried to highlight how much STUFF you will have. They ain't kidding. I have a Subaru WRX wagon, in which I've hauled lumber, raw steel, and even 2 Battlebots and 300 lbs of spares and tools for a weekend tournament - and even that is BARELY big enough to haul the baby gear for a day trip. Camping? Forgetabouit.

And we're one of those families that has a "minimalist" approach. We don't go in for massive strollers or so many of the other "must have" items, so I now understand why the people who buy everything marketed for 1st time parents absolutely MUST have a BIG SUV or a MiniVan.

bkrobbie

Observer
Ultimate Family Car = Tacoma 4 door

I talked my wife into a then brand new 2005 Tacoma quad cab (short bed) despite the fact that we had no kids and lived in an apartment in Brooklyn - the argument then being that with all my goofy hobbies (motorcycle racing, etc) it would come in handy, but it was still small enough and comfortable enough for us to take trips out of the city to go camping, hiking, biking, etc.

Plus, the 4WD gave us a lot of options when it comes to venturing off-piste or foul weather travel.

Since then, we have had two kids and, if this is possible to believe, my wife has grown to be an even bigger fan of the Taco than I am.

It is just small enough to be fine driving and parking in the cramped quarters of Brooklyn and New York City. It is just big enough that cabs politely move out of the way rather than challenge us to every turn and stop signal (you want to taste fear itself? Take a Porsche 911 for a spin in the city: not only will every pothole, raised sewer lid, swath of coolant and gravel patch knock your fillings loose, but every cab in the city will do its absolute best to sideswipe you).

It is big enough that we have taken both kids and every piece of equipment you can imagine would be necessary for camping for ten days at primitve sites 500 miles from home without issue. We have added a Thule rack over the bed so we can get a canoe / kayaks up there.

We are the most popular vehicle owners in our neighborhood - anyone heading off to Ikea, or Best Buy, or Lowe's, or the nursurey, or taking stuff to the Salvation Army, or just doing a really big trip to the grocery store, calls us to reserve the Taco.

Seriously, if I bothered charging my friends by the hour for the use of the truck it would have paid for itself by now. As it stands, the tank is always full which is good enough for me.

We have had no issues getting the kids' car seats securely placed in the back (the Taco has the latch system).

Finally, we have a lot of friends that own a pretty healthy selection of SUVs - the big BMW, the Audi, the big Mercedes, and everything from both Ford and GM.

What I find incredible about those vehicles is that almost universally, unless you get the really huge ones (Expeditions, Suburbans) they have less cargo room than there is in the trunk of a Corolla.

I have watched friends just out for a weekend trip to a cabin struggle to fit strollers, groceries, and luggage into the backs of most SUVs. Without adding some kind of cargo box on a roof rack they would be out of luck on a longer trip.

Try to fit one suitcase and one folded up stroller into the back of a BMW X5 - it is an extreme endurance event.

We simply pack our stuff into weatherproof rubbbermaid tubs in the bed and have never had a space issue. Stroller? Throw it on top of the pile and strap it down.

The truck has been dead reliable, returns ~ 17-19 MPG fully loaded, drives beautifully on the highway and the V6 makes great power.

The only weak link in my opinion is the suspension. Perhaps ironically, I opted for the TRD off-road package and am amazed at how crappy the suspension, especially the leaf pack, is. It makes a Ford Taurus look too stiffly sprung.

Now, this is a well-documented complaint, and sitting in my garage I have some custom deavers and demello shocks waiting to be installed, the only issue now is the time to do it (I have none at the moment).

Frankly, my only other complaint is our local dealer who can't seem to stop himself from doing everything he can to fleece my wife when she drops the truck off for scheudled service.

That's a separate story, but shameful - for example, the price to replace the fluid and properly bleed the brakes to her is $250, and when I bring the truck in it is magically $150 (as I specify DOT 4 fluid, so the service guys know I know at least a little about brakes). We had a major service bill that for her was $2000 suddenly become $1000 once I got on the phone and offered to drop by the shop and show the mechanics how to change the fluid in the differentials in 15 minutes or less, since they were charging me two hours of labor (for each diff!) to do the same job.

However, the solution there is simple - we will never use that dealer again and make the longer trek to another dealer that has been scrupulously honest with us.

Long reply, but I can't tell you how much we enjoy the truck, and I have to say that I love knowing that the same vehicle we drive around town to run errands in is perfectly capable of taking the four of us to Panama and back.

As I say, I have no shortage of friends who have very nice SUVs that cost multiples of what the Taco cost us and even if money were no object, there isn't a single one of those vehicles I would trade it for.

Well, actually... I'm lying. I would probably figure out a way to make a certain Cayenne Turbo work for us.

But other than that, we're going to hang on to the Taco until the floor rusts out - I suspect I'll be taking the girls to college in it 15 years from now.

ducatidom

A Frontier or Suzuki Equator( same trucks, body differences only; mechanicals are all Nissan) is my current choice. I have 3 kids, 1 in a front facing car seat(2&1/2), 1 in a booster( 7), and one in the middle( 9). It's a little squishy with the carseats, but still comfortable enough not to cause arguments in the back on trips. As for stuff, I put a crossbed toolbox in the bed( dry storage ) and just carry anything else I need in the bed on a trip by trip basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998