2.0 vs. 2.5 Shocks

AlexJet

Explorer
I'm looking to upgrade my rear shocks from current Rancho 9000XL as one of the shocks already damaged and the other getting too old.

Therefore I looked at different options and kind of confused of different information I'm finding around.

I know that 2.5 is better then 2.0 as it has more oil. My question is how much better. It cost 40% more then 2.0, but is it worth that (~$80)?

Second question would be is 2.0 with Remote Reservoir better choice then 2.5 without one? Both options are kind of the same price level. RemRes on 2.0 will compensate for extra oil in 2.5, but remain smaller piston. Another thing is that non-reservoir shocks are emulsion type (mix of gas/oil) and loose performance at angles over 40 degrees to the vertical. Is it right?

Does anyone have any real time data or personal experience with this topic? Your help is much appreciated.

chasespeed

Explorer
What is your primary type of wheeling? Slow... or high speed?

Terrain? Which vehicle? How much does it weigh?

What brand shocks?

There is a lot more to this, than just 2.0 or 2.5

Chase

AlexJet

Explorer
My '05 4Runner.
Rear steel bumper, custom 3-Link, cargo orginizer, so it weight a bit.
I have 250 lb/in Land Cruiser coils on the back.
Shocks for the rear.
Brand - Radflo.
Truck is my Daily Driver, but also heavy off-roader.
As of terrain and speed. Mainly back roads and old login/fire roads at speed of about 50mph. Mud pits and deep forest roads with big obstacles such trees and rocks, walking over speed.
I do like have a nice speed run on gravel roads some times too, but it's quit rare.

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, I would have to say the 2.5

The 2.0 would be a bit light duty given what you are carrying.

IF you could swing for the 2.5 with the remote res... you would be VERY happy with every bit of the performance.

But, with a regular emulsion shock, you would have to limit high speed off road, as you can overheat, thus get fade in the shock.... that is where the remote res comes in.... OH, and what are your shock angles? Just curious...

You might want to call RadFlo, and talk with them as well.... they do all the valving, and may just tell you that the 2.0 will be suffecient(though, I doubt it)...

Chase

SLO_F-250

Explorer
IMO, 2.0's with reservoirs would be plenty. 2.5" shocks are heavy duty and would suit you better if you are into the longtravel desert scene, but I wouldnt think you are hammering/cycling you suspension enough in a lifted 4Runner to justify 2.5's. But if you have the money, they will last you a long time and would probably never heat up or fade while driving.

Besides the Sway-Away Racerunners, Fox's, King's or Bilstein's look at.

- Radflo (mentioned previously)
- FOA Shocks (First over all)

I was thinking about putting FOA's on my superduty. Good price, and from the talk on some of the forums in the desert racing scene, they are n=pretty good for the price. GOOD LUCK!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
For comparison: I am running Fox 2.0 with remotes (.625 shafts) on my ~4T rolling weight '99 LC for 3-years now. I tuned them myself and they have performed to my satisfaction (and beyond really). I have a tendency to want to push this rig harder/faster...with no shock fade even after hours of high speed (relative to this type of rig; 50+mph) washboard trails. The remotes never get more than warm to the touch. So from a cooling perspective I don't think you need larger than a 2.0 Fox/King given your rig and stated use (as SLO_F-250 stated above).

However, assuming you are going with a shock with spherical lower bearing mounts (and upper too if you've departed from the OEM post style upper mounts), the 2.5 Fox and Kings utilize a #10 spherical bearing whereas the 2.0's utilize a small #8 size spherical. I have to replace my #8's every 12k miles or so...and I'm tired of having to do so at this frequency (2X per year the past 2 years).

In the process of going to larger Kings in the rear so I could get to much larger #12 spherical bearing ends...among other things :)

zidaro

Explorer
http://www.radflo.com/choose.htm

I also agree that the 2.5's would be a bit overkill on a runner. 2.0 with RR would be a great match. KOH rigs run 2.0's and dont have overheating issues. Yours is a bit heavier but your also not hammering it.

I know a few people with REAL issues with their FOA coilovers.

RADFLO and FOX are TOP-shelf products for the price.

AlexJet

Explorer
Well, I would have to say the 2.5

The 2.0 would be a bit light duty given what you are carrying.

IF you could swing for the 2.5 with the remote res... you would be VERY happy with every bit of the performance.

But, with a regular emulsion shock, you would have to limit high speed off road, as you can overheat, thus get fade in the shock.... that is where the remote res comes in.... OH, and what are your shock angles? Just curious...

You might want to call RadFlo, and talk with them as well.... they do all the valving, and may just tell you that the 2.0 will be suffecient(though, I doubt it)...

Chase

Last time I weighted my truck it was 5500lbs with gas, camping gear and me, not including family and their gear.
Rear shocks are at ~20 degrees fully compressed and ~10 degrees fully extended.

2.5 with RemRes are out of the question due to budget constrains.

I'm trying to see if it worth paying $600 for pair of 2.5" vs. $400 for a pair of 2.0".

Everything I read on the web so far states that 2.5 will fade later and will require rebuild later too, but no numbers or compares such as 15% later or 19% more... Many places also stating no significant performance difference, but again without specs on what conditions...
$200 extra cash is close to 50% price increase, and it's a big chunk in the overall cost.

Last edited:

AlexJet

Explorer
How would either 2.0 or 2.5 non-res option compare to Rancho RS9000XL shocks I use now.
Rancho is not high-pressurized shocks as I can compress them by hand, but their body size is 2.75.
I'm kind fine with their performance, but want better control in corners. Would 2.0 Radflo be superior then my Ranchos?

zidaro

Explorer
but want better control in corners. Would 2.0 Radflo be superior then my Ranchos?

What are you expecting out of a larger/better shock? A shock dampens your suspension and the bumps you hit, they do not help to control sway around corners or carry your load better. That is the job of your springs

SLO_F-250

Explorer
How would either 2.0 or 2.5 non-res option compare to Rancho RS9000XL shocks I use now.
Rancho is not high-pressurized shocks as I can compress them by hand, but their body size is 2.75.
I'm kind fine with their performance, but want better control in corners. Would 2.0 Radflo be superior then my Ranchos?

Again, IMO and my experience radflo is a far superior product. I blew through 3 sets of Rancho's (9000's) on my old truck!!! 3 Sets!! Granted it was a full size mild prerunner when I had them on. Font end was cycling 13" of strapped travel at the time with Deavers and 17" of travel in the rear. Then I switched to dual Bilstein 5150's the difference was night a day. After that I made the big leap to 2.5" SAW Racerunners and it was another huge jump in performance.

Right now I have the Bilstien 5150's on all 4 corners of my superduty and love them. Very Solid shocks for the money, and you get a small resi with them which helps big time.

If you have the money, Radflo 2.0's with the external resi's would would make a huge difference. Much higher quality than the Rancho's, and I don't think the Rancho's are rebuild-able, but I could be wrong.??

All in all, I will never buy a rancho shock again for a vehicle that might see dirt. I would think that if you are going to drop the $$$ on 2.0 Radflo's on all 4 corners, what is another $100-$150+/- for 2.5's and just be done with it? Peace of mind?? Of course, I dont think 2.5's are needed for your situation. :)

AlexJet

Explorer
What are you expecting out of a larger/better shock? A shock dampens your suspension and the bumps you hit, they do not help to control sway around corners or carry your load better. That is the job of your springs

Agreed, coil support the weight.
What I'm referring to is how fast body lean to the side when wheel is turned and how well vibrations dampening when you ride on uneven terrain in the corner. Stiff shock would give nice cornering stability, but soft will benefit on low speed crawling.

AlexJet

Explorer
Again, IMO and my experience radflo is a far superior product. I blew through 3 sets of Rancho's (9000's) on my old truck!!! 3 Sets!! Granted it was a full size mild prerunner when I had them on. Font end was cycling 13" of strapped travel at the time with Deavers and 17" of travel in the rear. Then I switched to dual Bilstein 5150's the difference was night a day. After that I made the big leap to 2.5" SAW Racerunners and it was another huge jump in performance.

Right now I have the Bilstien 5150's on all 4 corners of my superduty and love them. Very Solid shocks for the money, and you get a small resi with them which helps big time.

If you have the money, Radflo 2.0's with the external resi's would would make a huge difference. Much higher quality than the Rancho's, and I don't think the Rancho's are rebuild-able, but I could be wrong.??

All in all, I will never buy a rancho shock again for a vehicle that might see dirt. I would think that if you are going to drop the $$$ on 2.0 Radflo's on all 4 corners, what is another $100-$150+/- for 2.5's and just be done with it? Peace of mind?? Of course, I dont think 2.5's are needed for your situation. :)

Wow, 3sets that's allot.
No, Ranchos are not rebuildable.
I only need rear shocks as my front is fine. I have Icon Coilovers there. The price point is either 600 delivered with tax for 2.0 or 800 for 2.5 or 2.0 RemRes (both options are at the same price level).
The problem is that I'm on the budget and need replacement. Want to get the right decision from the first try.

angusdevil

Adventurer
Do it right this time around and get the 2.5's with resi's. It's all in the valving from there on out. You can valve to your driving style for compression and rebound while still having all of the advantages of the bigger shock (more cooling, less fading). As soon as you start introducing speed and longer runs, you need a shock thats going to stick with you the entire time and not fade out in 10 minutes.

You can pick up a set of Kings 2.5's with high heat resi's almost anywhere for under $1400. From there, you just need the appropriate tower to fit them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger