2 1/2 Days, Lots of dirt, and Good times

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jacki and I decided that we needed a little time away to clear our heads and destress a bit from the daily grind in the big city. We decided to take a half day on Friday and head out for a little adventuring. Jacki was eager to go somewhere that she had never been before in the state but also would like to spend a little time near some water. Well, that can be hard to come by here in Aridzona, but we decided to take a gamble. I thought Alamo lake would be nice, although a little warm this time of year. I was hoping the heat of the last week would keep people away. The gamble did not completely pay off, but it was still a nice time with no troubles. In the two and a half days, we traveled 372 miles round trip of which 147 of those were off pavement, primitive, unimproved, and sometimes two track roads. It was a lot of fun. OK, I'll let the pictures do more of the talking.

Jacki decided that we needed a travel companion, so, I would like to introduce to you all... Ichibod Cornelious:

001-7.jpg

After Wickenburg the Joshua Trees were everywhere for about 20 miles. This tree had heaps of garbage strewn around its trunk. Jacki and I cleaned it all up before we shot this pic:

005-6.jpg

Some of the scenery on the way to the lake:

003-6.jpg

About 10 miles from camp. The sun is starting to go down:

004-6.jpg

The scenery is still beautiful with small mountain ranges on all sides of us:

005-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

002-7.jpg

we finally found a semi secluded place in a little cove right on the edge of the lake. After we got camp set up and started to unwind:

006-5.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The full moon provided plenty of light. If you look closely, it looks almost as if it is smiling down on us:

001-8.jpg

We awoke to a beautiful morning and the sound of someone firing up their jet boat a few coves over. Not the sound I like to wake up to. But I did like the view:

008-4.jpg

After breakfast we loaded up the food and headed out for some ghost towning. The trip took us pretty much all day and we were only on pavement for about 39 miles. We took the powerline road to Midway, and then turned south to the town of Bouse where we stopped at the general store for a few provisions for dinner and a little more ice. Man I need to get a fridge. Jacki and Ichibod relaxing infront of the Bouse General store:

009-4.jpg

From Bouse, we backtracked north again to go and inspect the ghost town of Swansea. The road was pretty good and the scenery was amazing again. If you look at the middle right of the photo you can make out some of the buildings in Swansea:

011-3.jpg

A frumpy faced mountain overlooking the town:

012-4.jpg

A natural arch on the way into town:

013-5.jpg

Ichibod says, "my oh my, it is dusty.":

014-2.jpg

Car/dust art:

015-1.jpg

Next up, the town of Swansea. Stay tuned:)

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The town of Swansea:
The area was first investigated in 1886 by three prospectors who were disappointed when the ore showed only copper and very little silver. However 10 years later, when copper had become a more marketable product, one of the men returned with a new partner and mining began. Swansea became the headquarters for the Clara Consolidated Gold and Copper Mining company. Taking its name from Swansea, South Wales, where most of its copper was shipped. It got there via a combination of railroad, the Colorado River and then shipped from the Gulf of California around Cape Horn to the United Kingdom. The Arizona and Swansea Railroad connected Swansea to nearby Bouse in 1908 and the camp's population grew to a total of 750.
Swansea's post office was established in 1909 and was discontinued in 1924.
During its time, Swansea had an electric light company, a Ford dealer, a lumber company, two cemeteries, a bar, an insurance agent and of course the local mining and smelting plant. The short existence of Swansea ended after World War I when copper prices dropped. In 1937, Swansea was already a ghost town although periodic mining did continue until 1949.

I got the facts about the town from Wikipedia.com.

A very slow refurbishing is taking place. A lot of the structures have collapsed in the last 8 years or so. Someone is slowly working on keeping the remaining structures up.

Mine worker cabins:

016-2.jpg

Between the structures:

018-2.jpg

The floor in one of the cabins:

019-2.jpg

Traditional adobe and newish roof:

020-1.jpg

Looking through a door, a window, a door, a window:

022-2.jpg

Stovepipe chimney:

023.jpg

Corporate houses:

024-1.jpg

Railroad station:

025-1.jpg

We stopped and ate lunch at one of the covered picnic/campgrounds at the townsite. It was warm, but there was actually a nice breeze that kept it bearable.

Up next, following the narrow gage rail route back to Midway.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Any two wheel Montero action this time?

Yes, as a matter of fact I did. Pictures to come shortly. I have to do something to increase the articulation of the suspension.

After lunch, we followed the railroad bed back to midway. This is a few miles of two track that actually runs through a wash. Not to worry, the BLM does have the wash as a designated trail. Aside from being loose gravel, it was pretty uneventful except for a couple of spots. A fun obstacle to climb up:

027-2.jpg

026-1.jpg

Got into a little cross axle area. This was a pretty good test of the suspension flex:

029.jpg

The left rear wheel was off the ground until I got out of the truck, then it came to a rest ever so slightly on the ground.

Not too bad for stock IFS suspension:

028-2.jpg

However, the left front did stay off the ground. It was fun using very little force to push on the hood and rock the truck. Jacki, still sitting in the truck, did not like it to much when I did that though... Hehehe:

030-1.jpg

Ichibod says, "Oh my, how do we get the wheel back on the ground?":

032-1.jpg

It was a great trip. Once we got back to Midway, we headed east agian on the Powerline road back towards camp. I'm glad nothing happened as no other vehicles had been on the road since we were on it earlier in the day. We followed our own tracks back to the turn towards camp. We got back to camp and relaxed a bit, had dinner, and enjoyed the evening sky lit again by a beautiful full moon. We took Wickenburg road again back to the 93 on Sunday, again taking in the beautiful scenery. I do have to say that Sunday was a sad day. As we approached pavement I pulled out my trusty MV-50 to air up before getting back on the highway. I hooked it up, but when I screwed the compressor onto my valve stem I could hear air leaking from the compressor. It took about 10 minutes to air one tire up from 20 to 35psi. The second tire was much more futile as it took about 15 minutes to air the tire from 20 to 27psi. The leak was getting worse. I though 27 would be ok to get us back into town. I went to the right side to start airing up. By this time the old trusy MV-50 was too hot and would not start. I put it away and headed onto the highway. I kept my speed low, and it was only about 15 miles back to Wickenburg where we found some air and topped off the other two and a half tires. I'm going to have to hit Costco and get a new MV-50. I am sad as the current one has been with me for close to four years now and has never let me down. It was a great trip and a great time. Again the Montero had no issues with so much dirt, and I am still impressed with the ride quality of the 4 wheel independant suspension, especially on washboard roads. A few times I didn't realize how fast I was going as the ride was very smooth. We will have to do it again soon.

Last edited:

F5driver

Adventurer
If you keep going past Swansea a few miles you run into Bill Williams river. A true desert oasis since it runs pretty much all year. I grew up in Parker, AZ. Back in the day the Swansea mines were still open. I remember climbing around inside and exploring the entire area with my dad - what a great time. Perhaps that is where I caught the "get out and explore" bug. To bad it's all blocked off now but it's probably better and certainly safer. My two boys and I were there in March. Now it's my job to pass the "bug" to my kids. There are still some mines in the area that are open if you know where to look.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
datrupr said:
I have to do something to increase the articulation of the suspension.

Well, I removed my rear swaybar, and that helped quite a bit. I wouldn't dare remove the front one. Us Mitsu guys need to figure out how to make some quick disconnects for at least the front if not also for the rear.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Nice trip. It's been years since I was at Alamo Lake. I've pulled a lot of huge bass outta that lake back in the day. Nice pictures.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
If you keep going past Swansea a few miles you run into Bill Williams river. A true desert oasis since it runs pretty much all year. I grew up in Parker, AZ. Back in the day the Swansea mines were still open. I remember climbing around inside and exploring the entire area with my dad - what a great time. Perhaps that is where I caught the "get out and explore" bug. To bad it's all blocked off now but it's probably better and certainly safer. My two boys and I were there in March. Now it's my job to pass the "bug" to my kids. There are still some mines in the area that are open if you know where to look.

I thought about doing the trek up to the Bill Williams River. I was up there a few years ago and it was nice. I had to take time into consideration as I didn't want to travel the roads in open cattle range in the dark. I know taking the Lincoln Ranch Road would have taken us almost all the way to the river, but with time an issue I decided against it this trip.

Yeah, Tony, we do need to figure something out for that, don't we.

Chuck, Apparently the fishing is still good as most of the boaters were out there in Bass boats. I didn't bring my gear so we didn't do any fishing. And with the nice breeze that was blowing a couple of sailors took full advantage too:

033.jpg

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Good stuff Aaron!

Glad you and Jackie are enjoying the new rig!

Mark

Mark, It is so nice to be able to get out and explore again. The new truck is doing really well, and soon I'll get a lift and some protection underneath. Jacki and I were talking also, and we think a RTT is going to be moved in the priority order on the mods list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998