2.25L valve noise

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
I haven't done much internally on a 2.25 petrol but it is rover so nothing surprises me anymore; has anyone seen or heard of this scenario?

I was under the hood adjusting/tightening/adding something and I happen to notice the three nuts that hold down the valve cover were only finger tight. I grab my 13mm wrench and tighten them down, all good, yeah?

A day or two later my wife go out to dinner and as I start the landy to head home, I notice a pronounced knock, not a tick, not pinging, a knock. :Wow1: great, I'm leaving for iraq in two weeks and I've slipped a bearing. Oh well, it's going into storage, I've a spare engine, it'll wait till next Sept.

Tonight, I decide to change the oil to get ready for storage and take it for a spin around the block. Still knocking, I'm still sad. I stop for gas and put my hand on it and listen closely, maybe not a bearing, seems really high, like valve train knock. Then I remember the knock seemed kinda sudden after tightening the valve cover. So with the landy idling I get out the 13mm and loosen them back to finger tight. Knock goes away. So that is my mystery, why would how tight the valve cover is have anything to do w/ a valve train knock????

PS-What do you guys think the chances are that the local Land Rover dealership would want a 71 SIIa as a static display in their showroom for a year? I'd prefer that, then it just sitting in a parking lot w/ a cover on it :(

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Nothing to worry about then just leave them loose and get a bigger drip tray !

Check the seal first, then the valve train........

Oh and check for dents in the valve cover

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
My guess is the valve train hitting the cover. Loosen the nuts and adjust the cover. The rubber donuts that hold the thing down leave a lot to be desired...

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
My guess is the valve train hitting the cover. Loosen the nuts and adjust the cover. The rubber donuts that hold the thing down leave a lot to be desired...
Yes and no. Old ones aren't worth spit and can allow some play side to side and back to front. But in my experience new ones work well and will last quite a few years.

Last edited:

KevinNY

Adventurer
You do know that adjusting the valves is a regular maintainence item on the 2.25 right? Thats why it has those acorn nuts and a cast cover, it's supposed to be off annually.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Yes and no. Old ones aren't worth spit and can allow some play side to side and back to front. But in my experience new ones work well and will last quite a few years.

That's correct Tom. I had the same knock last time I did the valves. My rubber donuts are old and flat and allowed the cover to move quite a bit. A little tweeking and all is good. Now, where did I put the ones I bought last year......

weatherm

Adventurer
anybody got a step by step dummy how to do the valve job. I've seen it done sort of so this will be my first time.

Thanks!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
anybody got a step by step dummy how to do the valve job. I've seen it done sort of so this will be my first time.

If you're talking about valve adjustment then the manual has a decent description of how to do it. Use the rule of 9 and you'll be all set. Valve 1 compressed, adjust valve 8....

weatherm

Adventurer
Yeah I found some vids on youtube... I should be able to figure it out... With a valve compressed down the other one should be slack or may not.

I have alot of tapping going on with mine.. sounds like a mini-deisel. figured the tapping was them hitting the top of the valve cover. I noticed some of them had about a centimeter of play in them last night which isn't good. Started raining so I never got to finish it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior