2.5 4x4 question

wasilvers

I found a Montero 2.5 with locker, excellent leather, minor rust, 140k miles for $2k.
On the test drive all was good till I put it in 4x4. The CDL light flashed on and off, not in rythym, but like a short. The front wheel lights were on and off too. Tried to get it out of 4x4 and it wouldn't unlock. We tried several different things - Neutral, let it roll forward no power -backwards, etc... The owner (who was with me in the test drive) just called and said that it unlocks if you put it in neutral and let it roll a bit - says it works every time now.

Is this normal? Could it just be that it hasn't been used much?

Thanks!

nckwltn

Explorer
the flashing lights is a normal thing.... I wouldn't worry about it too much, but something you would want to figure out.

Engaging 4 wheel drive is a mechanical process, the lights you're seeing are just an electrical sensor that isn't properly sensing.

If you have the transfer case lever in the right position, it is engaged in whatever the gear lever says. THe only problem is that if you're center isn't locked... you can't lock the rear, as that is not engaged by a mechanical lever. It is engaged by an electrical connection to the air pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan