2" Lift and problems with the outer tie track rod ends

viducce

Observer
Hi,

after some moderate wheeling noticed that my front wheels were somehow tilted inwards....
so passed at my local mechanic and he said that apart from some worn ball joints there was also an
issue concerning the angle of the outer tie track rod ends resulting from the 2" lift.
according to him and (can be seen on the pictures) the ball joints do not have much or
any freedom of movement due to the outer tie track rod ends approach angle.

My question would be if there are any angled outer tie track rod ends or other solution without taking out the lift
which would allow the ball joint to move as it should and in turn reduce tear and wear on the ball joint?

Sorry for my poor English, just trying to explain the probem the best I can....

image_zps42gsdssc.jpeg

image_zpsjfvzfprl.jpeg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
What year is your Montero/Pajero?
Is the lift an Old Man Emu?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Seriously that angle doesn't look like a 2" lift. I'm running OME front shocks and cranked torsion bars 2" and do not have that kind of angle.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
How much lift is actually happening there? You need to crank the torsion bars down a bit and install some bump stops.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
My guess is that the pictures are showing the ball joint at full droop, not at resting height?

viducce

Observer
No bump stops?

Yes, you're right, they are missing but I wasn't aware of that, in consequence the done damage is quite severe.
The replacement list as follows

both upper control arms
upper and lower ball joints
tie track rod ends
pit man arm
steering idler arm
bump stops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger