2" lift options for 93 LWB RRC...

DoKarider16

Observer
I am still a little ways off on this part of the build but I need to make sure I have time to over think it before I actually do something ; ) I have been looking into some of the lift options and the Terrafirma seems like an interesting option. I was pretty happy with the Old Man Emu springs and Bilstein shocks I had in my 91 short wheel base. This rig has the extra weight of a 300 TDi in front and the big bumper in back. I want to be able to load it up, but don't want it too harsh when empty. We have a big roof top tent we love. I am looking for a true 2" lift. I am also trying to decide on a front bumper and winch set up for the front. I currently have a Great Divide bumper.

According to Rovers North propaganda the Terrafirma gets you a true 2" lift and has 28" fully extended length. The Terrafirma Pro Sport heavy duty sounds like a good option although I worry about getting too stiff. There is not much info out there on these lift kits. Anyone have any first hand advice? How would these compare to the Pro Comp or Old Man Emu set ups?

The other question I have is about the lowered shock mounts, the front turret and rear shock mounts. This seems to make sense to me since it would give you more drop out of the suspension, but is there a downside to this?

Are there any other questions I should be asking? I don't mind spending a few hundred more for something that is going to be more reliable or ride better. I attached a picture as it sits now.

thanks

Craig

Attachments

• Rover-small.jpg
    Rover-small.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 40

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
We have built a few Tf trucks in the shop and picking the proper spring will be very important. Reading through your post it sounds like you would want a MD kit. The HD will make the truck sit to high and maybe to ruff for you when are empty.
The lower mounts will give you more down travel but you will need to be careful of the up travel. You do not want the shocks to top out and may need extended bump stops.
Feel free to give us a call to better answer your questions

Justin

walsnart

We have built a few Tf trucks in the shop and picking the proper spring will be very important. Reading through your post it sounds like you would want a MD kit. The HD will make the truck sit to high and maybe to ruff for you when are empty.
The lower mounts will give you more down travel but you will need to be careful of the up travel. You do not want the shocks to top out and may need extended bump stops.
Feel free to give us a call to better answer your questions

Justin

What about using the +2 TF shocks with 2" TF springs? Would those also bottom out?

DoKarider16

Observer
Is there an advantage to Terrafirma over Old Man Emu? I am also looking into the OME HD front and rear. The HD in front mainly for carrying the extra weight of the TDI and in the rear for when it is loaded with the family and tent.

Thanks for the input and I will try and give a call this week.

thanks
Craig

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Is there an advantage to Terrafirma over Old Man Emu? I am also looking into the OME HD front and rear. The HD in front mainly for carrying the extra weight of the TDI and in the rear for when it is loaded with the family and tent.

Thanks for the input and I will try and give a call this week.

thanks
Craig

My quick 2c
The clear advantage is cost. Tf is the new kids on the block and they are keeping the price low on stuff to help get into the market.
This in mind I feel Tf and OME are Apples to Apples when it comes down to quality.
The OME stuff tends to sit lower then listed. The Tf stuff tends to sit right were they say it will when you load it up and the shocks are a true 2in longer unlike OME

Snagger

Explorer
I have a late 300Tdi "SWB" which the previous owner fitted with police spec rear springs (he never got round to fitting the matching front springs). They don't give much over 1" lift, and give it a similar poise to a Range Rover Sport. The ride is firm but comfortable. I can't imagine the LWB being a great deal heavier, so they might suit your purposes too.

DoKarider16

Observer
Spoke with Justin from Lucky8 this morning. He was super helpful on talking this through. I am heading towards using the Terrafirma medium Pro Sport +2 springs and shocks. Hopefully it will give a good balance between running loaded and running empty and wheeling vs overland travels. It is challenging trying to do it all with one rig.

Thanks for the time Justin.

Craig

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Spoke with Justin from Lucky8 this morning. He was super helpful on talking this through. I am heading towards using the Terrafirma medium Pro Sport +2 springs and shocks. Hopefully it will give a good balance between running loaded and running empty and wheeling vs overland travels. It is challenging trying to do it all with one rig.

Thanks for the time Justin.

Craig
Craig
Thank you for the kind words and I am glad I could help.

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
I was looking at the same lift options for my '95 LWB Classic. Once converted to solid springs, can I just swap in the HD OME springs for a lift? Either way, with a lift, will I need a new drive shaft?

RoverDude

Explorer
I have just what you need. A nice used set of used OME springs for $175 for the set of four plus shipping.....
- 764 Medium Duty Rear
- 751 Heavy Duty Front
If interested, e-mail me your zip code for a shipping quote.

roverdudeATsbcglobalDOTnet

Attachments

• P1010136.JPG
    P1010136.JPG
    848.6 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears