2 wheel drive

SafariPacific

Adventurer
You can have a lot of fun with 2wd. I took a huge trip around North America in 2007 in a 2wd truck. Snow, ice, mud, sand and then some.

:elkgrin: http://www.safaripacific.com/adventures.php?x=2007northamerica

23.jpg

KG6BWS

Explorer
The first time I got the Prerunner stuck it was on a flat dirt road in a farm field in Imperial Valley that looked totally simple. The road was a little bit moist in this area and the firm soil turned to something akin to vaseline where it was wet.[/QUOTE said:
HAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!! that brought back memories!! out near bishop in the owens valley i did the same exact thing. the road looked good and hard, maybe a little damp. turned there was a 1/4" layer of something that was a little like vaseline on top. i might as well have tried driving on solid ice for all the good it did me. thats when i finally decided i needed a winch.

jh504

Explorer
rigwelderstaco said:
HAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!! that brought back memories!! out near bishop in the owens valley i did the same exact thing. the road looked good and hard, maybe a little damp. turned there was a 1/4" layer of something that was a little like vaseline on top. i might as well have tried driving on solid ice for all the good it did me. thats when i finally decided i needed a winch.

Before I finished converting the afore mentioned 2wd XJ, I got stuck in a perfectly level grass yard in the morning dew. No mud, just wet grass, kind of embarassing when its lifted 6.5" inches.:eek:

KG6BWS

Explorer
jh504 said:
Before I finished converting the afore mentioned 2wd XJ, I got stuck in a perfectly level grass yard in the morning dew. No mud, just wet grass, kind of embarassing when its lifted 6.5" inches.:eek:

hehehe...yeah the dirt road i was on was perfectly flat too. it was the damn gorilla snot i was attempting to drive on that got me. the problem wasnt going forward, it was after i came to a stop about 1/2 mile into it and then tried to get going again. i ended up scraping the snot off the road for about another 1/4 mile or so, so that i could get into some decent sand to drive on. that one taught me a lesson.

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Matt!

4WD is most often used as a recovery aid when you get stuck in 2WD, and there are alternatives for recovery (winch, shovel, sand ladder, etc). As forum member Joaquin Suave once said, 2WD is fine as long as you're willing to deal with "manageable trouble." If you travel in a group with a second vehicle, recovery from slippery or sandy places is straightforward.

As Grim Reaper said, the tendency in 2WD is to substitute momentum for traction (that is, to accelerate to higher speed before entering the obstacle). That may be fine in Trophy Truck racing, but it can really chew up the environment. Both 2WD and 4WD drivers need to recognize when overcoming the obstacle will cause too much damage to the trail, and seek an alternative route.

Chip Haven

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The most extensive "expo" travel I have ever done was in a 2wd Ford Ranger with an Auburn LSD for traction. 2wd will get you into a lot of great places, but like Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force "A man's got to know his limitations." As long as you know your limitations and stay within them you'll be fine. You didn't say what part of the country you lived in but I have often thought that if I didn't live in the snow belt a 2wd would be a perfect vehicle for me. There's a lot to be said for simplicity - the less there is, the less can go wrong.

A 2wd truck with a manual tranny and manual crank windows can conquer about 90% of the vehicle-capable roads and trails in the US and for the other 10%, well, if you're young and fit there's always two-foot drive! Not only that, but a 2wd will usually get better MPG doing it (I routinely got 23-25 mpg out of my Ranger and getting it over 26 wasn't unusual. In contrast, even with a light foot my 4wd Tacoma can rarely break 22 mpg and 20-21 is a lot more common on the highway.) More MPG = more ability to travel to exotic places.

Remember that until about the mid-70's, 4wd was relatively rare, but it didn't keep people out of the back country. Heck, when I was a kid growing up in the 60's, we did a lot of our "exploration" in a 2wd station wagon! And if you go to the 3rd world, you'll find that 4wd is pretty much the exclusive province of the wealthy and international organizations - the locals generally get by with 2wd and seem to get around OK.

I'm not a tech-head so I won't comment on the simplicity/difficulty of a 4wd conversion, I'll only say that in my experience, 4wd vehicles aren't hard to find so unless you're itching for a "project" or absolutely in love with your current vehicle, you'd probably be better off just selling it and buying a 4wd if that's the way you want to go.

The most important tool for "exploring", IMO, is a map, a full tank of gas and a large supply of curiosity. ;)

Welcome to the forums and good luck!

Joe's Toy

Observer
Hi my name is matt and i am new here. I have always loved the outdoors and taking my vehicles out on the trails. Unfortunately i only have a '07 Tacoma Prerunner 2 w/d. i know most if not all the vehicles here are 4w/d, so i dont want to be laughed out of here. I have taken previous 2w/d trucks out in some places that were pretty intense. I know it will hinder my capabilities but nothing i can do about it.

Hey Matt, I also one of the 2wd people that love to drive their truck. I've gotten myself in some sticky situation a time or two due mostly to lack of skill more then lack of 4wd. I understand your desire for 4wd and plan to try to one day tackle the 4wd conversion but until I do I've found plenty of ways to enjoy my 2wd. Especially the PreRunner because it has the e-locker option. I'd recommend going trail driving with a group of good friend that own 4wds so you can drive your truck as hard as far as you want without the worry of being stranded. I've followed friend with their 4x4 and have for the most part kept up. Some obstacles may take a little more speed and a couple tries but you'll be suprised where that prerunner will take you!

On a lighter note. I'm sure jealous of that nice 07 you have! My fiance is talking about getting one and it makes me want to upgrade... Wish i could afford it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior