20" Wheels

Turtle59

Intrepid Wanderer
G'day all

I recall reading on here about someone fitting 20" wheels to their Canter.

I am interested in finding out more about this and some of the ins and outs of the process.

I currently have the 19.5" wheels on mine and have found tyres to be rare and somewhat expensive. So have decided to explore some of the variables.

Any advice much appreciated.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
G'day all

I am interested in finding out more about this and some of the ins and outs of the process.

I currently have the 19.5" wheels on mine and have found tyres to be rare and somewhat expensive. So have decided to explore some of the variables.

Turtle,

If you think that a 19.5 is rare and expensive you are in for a real shock finding, buying and fitting 20"s. They do look cool though.

Kind regards John.

Amesz00

Adventurer
G'day all

i am currently (somewhat successfully) running 20x11" rims on my FG84 with 41" tall 335/80R20 XZLs (imperial size 12.5R20). whilst for an offroad vehicle of this size (ie a 416 or 1300 unimog or 8.150 MAN etc) 12.5r20 is pretty much the standard accepted size, the 7.50r16s that come stock on a canter are obviously much much smaller.
to fit the 41s was a major mission. the truck has atw parabolics so about 2" of spring lift. even still, the entire front mudguards had to be remodelled and cut out. even the bottoms of the doors cut off where they cover the step on the 84. i get full steering lock which is great. but they still dont fit at flex. and i havent even started on how the brakes practically dont work at all.. (probly doesnt help they need bleeding too..)
but the good. it looks pretty cool IMO... and the grip offroad is real nice.. as is the footprint for sand. on the 84 with 5.285 diffs it runs around 2150 @ 100km. which is nice, but mr bishi's horrible attempt at tuning the big lazy 4.9L means it is very lacking in torque. it could be great with turbo + chip upgrade, but i havent had time or funds as yet.
and if you are willing to look overseas, the options for 12.5r20 size are diverse and numerous, being a standard unimog size.

but the best bet if you are looking into 20s would be the size down, 275/80r20 or 10.5r20 at 37". the XZL is a little light on at 128K but the MPT81 is pretty right on a 134K. there arent as many tyre options in the 10.5 size but it would be much more realistic trying to fit to a canter.. and from all acounts, mpt81s are a real nice all round tyre.
andrew

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Turtle,

If you think that a 19.5 is rare and expensive you are in for a real shock finding, buying and fitting 20"s. They do look cool though.

Kind regards John.
They can be if sourced locally. My F250 has 295/65R20's which I bought from the states and had shipped here (in addition to the Unimog, 20" is a common wheel size now for many US pickups) and have fitted on the standard 20x8 rim. About $300 a tire delivered to my door (+GST). I chose Toyo ATII's, and tires are about 35.5" tall and 11.5" wide, and rated at about 1850kg a corner. Tires have an 80k km warranty, so I will get a pro-rated refund if I wear them out before then.

Admittedly, if my truck didn't come with 20" wheels, I wouldn't run this tire size. I'd be looking for 17" or 18" wheels - the ride is substantially better, and there are more tire options available. Anything smaller than 17" won't fit around my brakes.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
They can be if sourced locally. My F250 has 295/65R20's which I bought from the states and had shipped here (in addition to the Unimog, 20" is a common wheel size now for many US pickups) and have fitted on the standard 20x8 rim. About $300 a tire delivered to my door (+GST). I chose Toyo ATII's, and tires are about 35.5" tall and 11.5" wide, and rated at about 1850kg a corner. Tires have an 80k km warranty, so I will get a pro-rated refund if I wear them out before then.

Admittedly, if my truck didn't come with 20" wheels, I wouldn't run this tire size. I'd be looking for 17" or 18" wheels - the ride is substantially better, and there are more tire options available. Anything smaller than 17" won't fit around my brakes.

Hi Adrian,

Yeah ok. In 20"s I was thinking more like XZLs , MPT81, etc. ....... Canters and Isuzu NPS have a GVM around the same as a F450 , not a F250. Actually all the new models have a higher GVM than a F450. Can you get these with SRW from Ford? ..... if so what size and load index are the tyres that they come with?

The rear axle on the new Japanese trucks are way overrated at 5760 kg (Fuso) and 6600kg (Isuzu) if you weren't sure. The older models were still at least 4500kg though.

I know there is a great Toyo in a smaller rim size available in the US with a 131 index but unfortunately Toyo Australia told me that they aren't allowed to import them here as that particular tyre does not meet ADRs for whatever reason.

Kind regards
John

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
John,

That's a really good point that I didn't consider.

Highest GVM with SRW you can get in the F-Series from factory is the F350 at 5200kg (mechanically identical to the F250, but they offer the F250 with lower GVM for lower insurance/registration like you can downgrade trucks to 4.5T GVM in Aus).
Rear axle rating is only 3200kg, so I get where you are coming from. My old Canter I think had a really high weight rating on the rear axle too, and if I recall, had 3 different axle ratings (and corresponding GVM's) depending on the weight rating on the tires you were running. I registered it as a 6600kg GVM, but I had the option of both downrating (and choosing softer tyres) to 4500kg, or increasing it with higher weight rating tyres up to 8600kg. How they thought you could move eight and a half tonne with a 2.8l naturally aspirated diesel is another thing entirely.

A number of people do a SRW conversion on the larger F-Series like happens on the Fuso/Isuzu, but they usually run 19.5 or 22.5 tyres, and if you want to retain a high payload capacity on your truck, the former makes the most sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior