200 Series Suspension - Bypass, not to bypass…

cmayes

I have a well loved 2013 200 Series With 170k on the clock. The truck is fantastic and almost a part of the family. I‘m leaning towards getting a car as a daily and building out the LC for adventure fun - trips to the mountains to hunt and snowboard.

I put a leveling kit on the front and run 33s on Icon wheels, other than routine maintenance, the truck is stock. Initial plans for the rig include a full length roof rack, wedge-style tent, sliders, and suspension. Front and rear bumpers may make the list as well.

I feel like I have a good handle on everything but the suspension… I do a lot of highway driving, some gravel, some two-track, I haven’t done any technical trails with the truck. I’ve looked at: Kings, OME, Icon, and Dobsin. I definitely want to make sure the geometry is 100% accurate for the lift, so plan to add upper control arms as needed.

Is there a clear winner when upgrading/lifting the LC? What are the advantages of bypass shocks? Am I looking at “too much suspension“ for the driving that I do?

Thanks Everyone!

WOODY2

Adventurer
IMHO kings are overkill for a 200. It's not like your going to be blasting thru the desert like a Baja pre-runner. I went with OME as best value for my use.

ABBB

People who have Kings love them. I have OME BP-51 and do a mix of everything with the truck. No regrets whatsoever. With a wider stance than the stock offset provides (I have run wider wheels with a spacer and now run -25mm offset Methods) it handles like a sports car on the road and smooths out plenty of the rough ride when off road. It’s also worth noting that ARB has been rebuilding these kits for free. Not sure how long that will last and it does require removing all components and shipping them to Seattle, but depending on your situation and finances, that could beat paying a shop to do it (if you can find one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmayes

Thanks for the comments!!!

I have heard similar comments on the Kings. As great as they sound, I don’t think I’d get my money’s worth on the o’l LC, no plans to jump it anytime soon.

With the OME BP-51s, where did you purchase, did you do new upper control arms as well? If so, what brand did you go with?

ABBB

In the middle of writing my reply I forgot something and I knew I forgot it and it was exactly what you asked: SPC UCAs, that’s what I went with. The whole kit was purchased through Slee.

sn_85

Observer
I've used OME Nitrochargers on previous vehicles and wasn't a huge fan. They rode pretty rough. IMO the Nitrochargers are built for heavy vehicles that run on corrugated roads for hundreds and thousands of miles often. I did not like them at all for a daily. I would throw Icon and Fox out of the window. They both have poor customer service and Icon has a reputation of failures.

I would pick between the OME BP-51's, King's, ADS or Dobinsons. I have a set of King's on my 200 right now and while they are "overkill" they ride fantastically on and off road. I haven't put enough miles on them to rebuild them yet but I assume for a daily a 50-75k mile interval is probably about right. ADS is the shock supplier for Slee so you know its tuned right for the 200. Dobinsons is a great option as well and I feel like it's a blend between a monotube shock and race shock as it uses a lot of oem style rubber bushings/fittings and longer rebuild interval than say a race shock. They have both non-reservoir (IMS) and reservoir (MRR) options so great if you don't need/want the resy but still want a twin tube shock. While you don't "need" a reservoir the top options pretty much come with them.

A value proposition you should look at is the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo or the Eibach Pro-truck shocks. They're a step up from the stock suspension and a good option for those looking for a little bit extra performance for not a lot of $$$.

dstefan

Compression adjustable shocks are pretty worth the cost IMO regardless of brand. I’ve had shocks without previously and now with on the current rig and really like the ability to turn em up or down based on road or trail needs.

Also do a bit of research on the characteristics of progressive, digressive and linear shocks before you decide.

KruegerB

Compression adjustable shocks are pretty worth the cost IMO regardless of brand. I’ve had shocks without previously and now with on the current rig and really like the ability to turn em up or down based on road or trail needs.

Also do a bit of research on the characteristics of progressive, digressive and linear shocks before you decide.
Would definitely agree with this statement. I had Kings on my 200 (just sold it) - it rode incredibly well and when you couple that with the other bits (e.g., UCA's) it really makes a big difference

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Unless you are Baja racing ,the OME suspension is just fine. I run the OME heavy front and rear suspension. I have Dobinsons UCA's and rear track bar.

sn_85

Observer
Unless you are Baja racing ,the OME suspension is just fine. I run the OME heavy front and rear suspension. I have Dobinsons UCA's and rear track bar.

Which OME? The BP-51 is their race shock equivalent to a King, ADS, Fox, etc. Or do you mean the Nitrochargers?

ABBB

Which OME? The BP-51 is their race shock equivalent to a King, ADS, Fox, etc. Or do you mean the Nitrochargers?

The BP51 may be their race shock but it’s also their luxury AF shock. I’ve never had Kings so can’t compare, but I’ve never enjoyed driving as much as I have my 200 with BP51. A coil just can’t compare. Minor v. Major league.

sn_85

Observer
The BP51 may be their race shock but it’s also their luxury AF shock. I’ve never had Kings so can’t compare, but I’ve never enjoyed driving as much as I have my 200 with BP51. A coil just can’t compare. Minor v. Major league.

That was kinda my point. BP-51's are a much different and premium shock as compared to say a Nitrocharger. Mep1811 said just to get the OME, which can mean two very different price and performance brackets. Personally I'll never run a Nitrocharger set again. I had a set on my 4R and not only did they ride rough on road but I found that they didn't have enough travel for high or low speed off road either.

ABBB

I get you, I didn’t mean to come off contrary or that you missed something, perhaps could’ve worded my reply better to indicate that I second what you had expressed.

shmabs

Explorer
I don't have a 200 (anymore) but having run ADS, Icon, King, OME etc....on various rigs, and several setups on the same rig I would say that while standard OME (not BP-51) may be "fine" for most uses, the ride quality difference I noticed when upgrading to adjustable coilovers and shocks is noticeable. A true, adjustable external bypass shock will likely be noisey as the valves open and close. When I did own my 200, that's not a noise i would have wanted to deal with. Realistically any of what you described will be an upgrade, and be noticeable.

As other's have mentioned, my money would probably land on the BP-51's for your uses and a good mix of a high performance suspension while not being out of this world expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior