2000 4Runner Lift Kit Help.

twowhlrcr

Good morning guys,

I have a 2000 4Runner that is stock with 265/70/r16 tires on stock rims. Couple questions....I used to have a 1990 XCab that had a Rancho 3 1/2" lift and 32"x11.5" BFG's on it. I loved the way that truck sat and worked off road. I would now like to put that same size tire on the 4Runner. What would you recommend for a lift kit? Will those tires fit the stock rims? Anybody have any pictures of something similar? If I have to go with aftermarket rims, is there a particular offset to run? Would a 32"x10" slimmer tire look better? Decisions, decisions. Thanks in advance for the help, I appreciate it.

DSC_0303 60p.jpg

Loubaru

Adventurer
You should be able to fit 265/75/16 with the stock suspension which is close to a 32" tire. If not, there are a ton of lift options. Popular ones are OME, Toytech, and Sonoran Steel. With a 2-3" lift and some fender work you should be able to fit 285/75/16 or a thinner 33" tire without the fender work.

I bought my 4Runner with the Toytec 3" lift already installed but with factory sized tires. I plan on getting 265/75/16s because I don't plan on doing a whole lot of serious offroading and don't want to deal with the extra weight/less gas mileage of a larger tire. Don't know if that helps.

p nut

butter
Second what Loubaru said. Out of the 3 lifts mentioned, I would personally go Sonoran Steel 1.2. Steve knows his 4Runners.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Heres mine with Sonoran Steel & 285/75/16. Spydertrax wheel spacers on front or the tires rub the upper control arms at full lock. Rides great.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Good morning guys,

I have a 2000 4Runner that is stock with 265/70/r16 tires on stock rims. Couple questions....I used to have a 1990 XCab that had a Rancho 3 1/2" lift and 32"x11.5" BFG's on it. I loved the way that truck sat and worked off road. I would now like to put that same size tire on the 4Runner. What would you recommend for a lift kit? Will those tires fit the stock rims? Anybody have any pictures of something similar? If I have to go with aftermarket rims, is there a particular offset to run? Would a 32"x10" slimmer tire look better? Decisions, decisions. Thanks in advance for the help, I appreciate it.

Your old tires were for 15" diameter rims, and your current vehicle has 16" rims, so no, they will not fit your stock rims.

However, the 265/75-16 is the closest equivalent tire size to the 32x11.50-15 you used to run (see the chart I made below). They will fit your stock rims, so there is no need to switch. In most cases, the 265 is slightly taller than the 32x11.5, and they're approximately 1" narrower. They should also fit your truck with the stock suspension, but this depends on the amount of sag you have encountered over the years due to the wear on your particular vehicle.

In summary, ditch the 265/70, install 265/75. Keep the stock rims, keep the stock suspension. Enjoy!

tire_size.jpg

Last edited:

twowhlrcr

I should have been more clear. I will be buying new tires, I just liked the height of the 32". Cruiserbent, that looks great. Do you have a pic of he vehicle straight on so I can see how much the tires stick out?

p nut

butter
Just be warned that if you go 33's, you'll need to do some trimming, cutting and/or pounding, as well as new wheels or spacers (and other suspension parts). I'd stick to 265/75/16.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I should have been more clear. I will be buying new tires, I just liked the height of the 32". Cruiserbent, that looks great. Do you have a pic of he vehicle straight on so I can see how much the tires stick out?

No but will try to get one

4runnerteq

Explorer
Just be warned that if you go 33's, you'll need to do some trimming, cutting and/or pounding, as well as new wheels or spacers (and other suspension parts). I'd stick to 265/75/16.

Not quite 100%. My 285s cleared everything fine unless at full lock then rubbed UCAs. I did have to trim the corner off the right side lower valance after the wheel spacers, but shes been hit in the front on that side at one time. Left side no issues, no pounding,no cutting.Tire on the right would catch on the valance when turning. All that being said, the 265/75s wouldnt need any of that.

I have 235/85/16 BFG ATs (31.7" diameter) on my 2000 T4R with stock suspention and they run just fine. No rubbing at all. Skinny tires.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Rdy2offrd88

Observer
DFR- Curious as to how you do for gas mileage with though tires? And also what you paid for them is you don't mind saying?

I can't tell how heavily laden you are in your pic but it looks like you might have a bit more sag than I do. They aren't the tallest tyres of their size but my 265/75r16 BFG KM2's fit perfectly on my stock suspension without hammering down the pinch weld, cutting the body mount or even taking off my front flare extensions. Now I know I don't hit anything even jamming the fronts up into the wheel wells but your mileage may vary...

IMG_00000561_zps6a0b2da3.jpg

Personally I think that 3" of lift and 255/85r16 is the sweet spot for the average 3rd gen enthusiast. It's almost an inch and a half taller than the 265, .7 inches narrower, and only 2 pounds heavier (km2 as example). Great traction, not abysmally heavy and (subjectively) looks awesome.

(edit) been lurking here for years without realizing I've never actually posted here - the 4runner even has an expo decal on it, neato

mikelite80

Adventurer
I'm in a 2001 4Runner with a Sonoran Steel life and 255/85R16. Its awesome. Fits pretty good, get some rubbing if hard over and take a good bump. Only had to remove some of the plastic crap under there. The other 99.99% of the time they are fine. It really is a great size range to be in. Plenty of clearance for most trails and not so tall you look like an A hole at the mall. Don't get sucked into the wide tire world. The extra height will be more noticeable then extra width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78