2000 Disco Caged Soft Top Build

I still have it, and still contemplating what to do. The roof is gone and I've been driving it occasionally that way (nothing off-road, just around town when I need to drive, I typically commute on my bike). I bought a D1 that I was thinking of doing a body swap to the D2 frame with all the D2 bits, but I might be starting a new, better job that'll actually let me afford to finish the soft top/cage idea, and I'm leaning back toward that direction. If I do, I'm going to need a passenger headlight/turn signal, fender and front door if anyone has one in the area.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Awesome, I had a good buddy do a build like this a couple years back (05- 06 ish) worked out great! I wish you the best of luck, sorry about the reason however!

Northern Early

In for the win. I am a toyota guy with a second gen 4runner. Always had envy of 1st gens and their removable tops. My plan has always been once (not if) i tip and mess up the roof that i would go the route you are taking on.

Questions of your ideas on a few spots.

What are you planning on the upper rail of the body being?
I had figured a 1 3/4 round tube that the sheet metal was tacked to and finished to leave a nice edge. Then taking the interior panels and doing a color matched vinyl c channel that would cover the edge of the plastics.

Always thought about sending the tube cage so that the rear doors close to them as well. are you planning on permanently closing the rear doors?

yubert, I'm in Boise, ID, although I have a few friends in different parts of California. I'll send you a PM soon to see what we might be able to work out.

The majority of the cage will end up being 1.75" .120 wall DOM, with some 1.5" in there for some of the triangulation. This truck will hopefully still be fully functional as a 4 seater and the rear doors will open. The upper rail of the body will be at least stitch welded to the cage.

The canvas top will be a few pieces, with one piece covering just the top, one for the back door, and one for each side, with a zipper to allow opening of the door. It's going to be a relatively complex top, but I have a good friend who does some stellar work in that field, who should be able to make it look great.

sedat

Adventurer
I have a buddy that lives an hour or two from me with a soft top caged disco. I have a few photos if you'd like.

sedat

Adventurer
vPZjHBNl.jpg

DyBV14dl.jpg

bclZfcKl.jpg

xItFHGGl.jpg

PpN3zasl.jpg

mnxivSul.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member