2000 Ford Excursion as expedition vehicle

bjm206

Adventurer
Looks great! Nice skid plates underneath the tranny and transfer case as well. Did you make them?

Thanks

The skid plate is a modified Warn '08-10 Ford Super Duty Oil Pan/Transmission/Transfer Case Skid Plate (PN 76590). After notching it for roll bar clearance and slightly modifying the transmission cross member it bolted in no frame drilling required.

98GP

Observer
Interesting. I like all that I am reading about the Excursion.......okay.......I want to share some thoughts. First of all, no, I haven't been drinking, really. I see the hood line is pretty high + I see its got a long wheelbase + is pretty wide.....perhaps, with some Engineering, the cab comes off my 6x6 chassis and the Excursion body goes on......
View attachment 167877

SOME?! Engineering...

gavan

Observer
I think I would use an 80s suburban long before I would use an excursion. Maybe a Tahoe with the rear wheel wells closed off and a short bed behind it. It would be a lot cheaper than hacking up an excursion. But, I am the last one to complain about hacking something up... I have disassembled at least 3 cjs for my jeep, "destroyed" a "rare" cj-10, hocked a manual transmission into my excursion and I am about to rip into a perfectly good miata just to replace the stock motor with a ls6 from a vette.

Go for it!

TKSC01

Adventurer
OK Finally...heres mine!

OK so for the last six months my Ex has been up on jack stands in the garage, and I have only owned the truck for a year. Last winter I blew a hub, axle shaft and inner seal while trying to get home in a snow storm. So instead of fixing the Dana 50 I swapped in a Dana 60 from a DRW 2002 F350. If you look close you can see the Yukon Hardcore hubs I installed as well. As of right now it has a Dana 60, Yukon Hubs, Dual Optima Yellow tops, Hella lights a frige and potty for the kids. I have a couple of large inverters that I am going to mount and install a microwave next. Sounds silly but there is nothing worse than trying to find one on a long road trip when your kid needs a bottle. So a hardcore off roader it will be in time, and a comfortable long hauler for now. 38" Michelin XMLs are in the future as well as a full roof rack and RTT for camping.

Attachments

• IMG01229-20130714-1024.jpg
    IMG01229-20130714-1024.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 121

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
How are you liking the 'X' code F-350 springs up front? What did you do shock wise, and how about the rear? What size tires on it now?

gavan

Observer
Towing out to Indiana and back...

2013-05-24_17-57-03_612_zps155e46fb.jpg

Mostly empty enclosed with a light (er) Jeep in it... aint light! :sombrero:

2013-06-10_16-36-47_601_zps481ea9c3.jpg

RKraft

Observer
Finally got my roof rack squared and trued up and welded up. Had to mount in the garage and remove it in order to get Excursion out. Only have about 2" of clearance has it sits now. Once I do my X/B spring swap it won't fit any ways. Now just need to sand, prep and paint the roof rack and permanently mount it along with the light bar and lights. Here is a picture also 1 with light bar & light setup.
Randy
roof rack z.jpgroof rack x.jpg

TKSC01

Adventurer
How are you liking the 'X' code F-350 springs up front? What did you do shock wise, and how about the rear? What size tires on it now?

So far so good in truth. I just got it on the road this past weekend, it did fine on the shake down run and all day today. It actually took all the lumbering feeling out of it, it feels sturdy but not harsh. They are the same tires I bought the truck with, I think they are 31's. Hopeful for the XMLs just very pricey oh yeah and hard to find!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks- if you get a chance, a nice full side view pic would help a bit. And if you find those tires, I may be in for a set too ;-)

TKSC01

Adventurer
Side View

Crummy photo sorry...I remembered you asked as I walked out of the Food Lion today LOL!
IMG01230-20130721-1550.jpg

RKraft

Observer
I got the rack mounted. Just need to wire up lights and then do X/B spring swap next. Here is a picture sorry it was getting dark I'll take a few more in morning in actual day light. roof rack 1.jpg

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears