2000 Isuzu Trooper hub conversion

Zaphod

Adventurer
Does anyone know WHAT KIND of snap ring is required?

Internal? External? Does anyone have a pic?

I found a possible source in McMaster-Carr (because no one else around these parts seems to have them), but I want to be sure before I order.

Thanks! I REALLY want to get these things installed already!

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Would a 96 3.2L Trooper benefit from a manual hub conversion? I will soon have a mild lift of 1" when I'm all done...just wondering if a manual hub would help my gas mileage and such on this vintage Zoo.

Thanks!
New member long time reader.....got into this Trooper in Nov 05 for cheap! I love it!!

I'll snap pics of my stable next!

Scott Brady

Founder
Welcome :elkgrin:

The hubs will be more durable and yield better economy than the auto's you have now. With 1" of lift, the CV wear increase is minimal.

Lets see some pics of your Trooper

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Thanks! Part of my decision to buy a Trooper was finding your site!!! :wavey:

Pics to follow.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Sweet! Another Trooper! Pics would be great - post 'em if you got 'em!

It is amazing how much of the drivetrain you are pulling around when it 2wd. I jacked up the truck when I put them on (realized after the fact that jacking is not necessary). On the passenger side the wheel is turning the half-shaft, front differential, and the forward driveshaft to the t-case, even when you are in 2wd - it is difficult to turn the wheel by hand with all that weight.

You put on the hubs and unlock them, and bingo - wheel turns nice and free, and the driveline stays disconnected (like it should be) until you lock them to put it into 4wd.

Just remember if your Trooper has Shift-on-the-fly to lock the hubs before you hit the 4wd button - apparently it drives the computer nuts if you forget.

Cheap, easy mod that really pays it's biggest dividend in highway mileage, or on CV wear if you have a big lift...

emailaak

Can anyone post some step by step instruction on how to remove the drive flanges and install manual locking hubs on 2000 Isuzu Trooper?

Thanks!

double moo

Adventurer
I'm not sure if it's bad form to mention another forum on here or not... so whack me if I'm out of line...

Head over to planetisuzu.com and do a search for manual or aisin hubs. I looked through their posts, headed to a junkyard - Found 2 sets for $25 a pair (got back-ups while I was at it), and put them on - took less than 20 minutes a side! Be sure to lock-tite the bolts! Mine were off of a '90 trooper - put them on my '93. I feel I got a couple MPG better with these - not positive as I did them at the same time I went to 265/75 BFGs... the mpg is better - was it the tires or the hubs.. hhhmmm...

Moo

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
Just buy a set of Warn or superwinch hubs and be confident that you have new working lock outs. By the time you buy 2 sets of used hubs you have almost paid for the superwinch new ones.

As far install and removal the good news about new hub is they come with instructions. And if you buy them from a reputable shop you can call with questions and get first hand technical support.

superwinch hubs
Warn hubs

robertdarin

Adventurer
don't know if this was mentioned but the front axel is 17 spline (someone asked eairlyer in the thread) as for the hubs i have superwinch and i like them. summit racing has them for about $95 i think. indy4x also carrys them.

Zaphod

Adventurer
emailaak said:
Can anyone post some step by step instruction on how to remove the drive flanges and install manual locking hubs on 2000 Isuzu Trooper?

Thanks!

Well, I have a thread on that very subject, but the pictures have long since disappeared. :(

It's actually very easy. The one thing I need to stress, however, is that you DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE WHEEL to perform the install. Ask me how I found that out? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior