2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thank you for explaining that. It's nice to get some info from someone who actually gets out there constantly and with children. There's a lot of cool info and builds but they all seem more geared to two people and not suitable for my case.

I would love to see photos of it too.

AlexCold ansld shifty98,

Yes the Sub is my daily driver which is good when parts break I waste no time fixing it so I can get the work the next day.

Most builds are geared for two adults because they are not reliable enough once you start changing factory geometry to bring kids along and take a chance of a serious breakdown far away from help. I run many single vehicle trips with the kids even to the remote corners of Death Valley because I have the means to survive comfortably for many days and get back to civilization on my own.

I will get some pictures of the nooks and crannies I keep stuff in the truck the next time I clean it out, it's a pain removing and re-installing car seats.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Echo Canyon timelapse

Death Valley has four epic trails that defy the vehicle and driver. Dedeckera Canyon/Steele Pass, Lippincott Pass, Mengel Pass and Echo Canyon. Echo canyon is the most easily accessible of the four, starting just a few miles west of Furnace Creek visitor center. The road gradually winds through the desert and into a canyon, opens up again, eventually gets to the very well preserved Inyo Mine, continues into another canyon that has the Echo Canyon steps technical section and exits back down into Armagossa Valley.

This was a beautiful and highly enjoyable drive. The highlight was running into a lifted Rubicon that told my buddy that the road came to a dead end where it was impassible. The Sub had no problems with the impassible dead end.

This is a really long video even though its a timelapse, here are the times of important sections.

2:30 Entering the first canyon
5:20 Exiting first canyon
8:40 Inyo Mine turn off
9:05 Inyo Mine parking area and mine
12:00 Entering second canyon
13:45 Echo Canyon steps technical section
19:25 Entering last canyon on way out
22:30 Exit of last canyon
26:00 First views of Armagossa Valley

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
CrazyDrei,
I love your build and 37's work great on full size SUV's and trucks.

I have a question about your Patagonia MT's.....have they started to get any louder on the highway as they wear down a bit? I'm going to be needing a replacement set of 37" for my Excursion and want to get more feedback from somebody that has them on a similar sized truck as mine. I do a lot of highway driving so noise is a concern as it tends to cause fatigue after a 5-8 hour drive.

Did they balance out ok when you first had them mounted?

Thanks and I look forward to more of your adventures.

SexyExy,

Thank you for following my build and adventures.

Patagonia MTs are really quiet, even at 17-20psi, they are quieter than BF Goodrich KO2s at 35psi and driving home 100+ miles at 20psi there is no rumble or humm. No change in sound as they wear so far, approximately 6,000 miles on them. I comfortably drive with the windows rolled down and would never know that I have MTs. Toyo Open Country Mts and ProComps 37x13.5R17 were annoyingly loud their entire life to the point that I got headaches after more than 2 hours on the road.

No problem balancing them new, took a 2-4oz more lead each than the Toyo Open Country MTs they replaced. Way less than the ProComps I had before. Going to re-balance them around 10,000mi or when I get any serious chunking.

This tire is not perfect at anything but does everything acceptably well. Amazing on pavement at 50psi but really shine off road, in snow, mud and sand when I drop them down to 20psi. I am very interested to see how many miles I get out of them.

Patagonia MT is supposed to be released in 40x13.5R17 sometime this year, and if they weight less than 90lbs I will be getting them to replace these when they wear out.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Damn 40s!?

AlexCold,

Yeah, I have a fun list of things I want to do to the truck over the next year or two. I am in the process of putting that list together as well as figuring out a way to keep the budget reasonable. 40's will be replacing the 37s when they wear out. I will write up my plans later this summer just to see everyone's heads spin, but until then I will be enjoying the adventures I get my budget beater into this Spring and Summer.

I am expecting the same people who told me that 37 will never work to bash the thread with their negative Nancy commentary while their own capable overland rigs are parked in the driveway year round. So I will be releasing the future plans close to or after I perform the upgrades to keep it more interesting.

SexyExy

Observer
Thanks for the review CrazyDrei, I appreciate the feedback.

I too noticed that they have 40's listed on the website.....I called Tireco on Friday but did not get a return call back yet. They have some mis-prints on the spec sheet when comparing the weights on 40's vs 38's, etc. I'll try to call them again tomorrow to confirm what is available or what time frame the 40's will be in stock.

AlexCold

Observer
40s would be fun.

I just found a gmt400 suburban that I hope I will be able to purchase. It’s so clean that it makes me want to do bad things to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
DAY TRIP: Death Valley Ibex Spring and Saratoga Springs part 1

March is by far the most pleasant month to visit Death Valley. The weather is a comfortable 70 degrees however the park is also plagued with tourists that venture far away from their cars to explore the park, a rarity in the hot summer months. This time we explored the southern portion of the park. We started Right outside Shoshone and headed to the Ibex Springs are that was the site of the Ibex Mine as well as numerous modern Talc mines. We then continued past the Ibex Sand dunes, onto Saratoga Springs. From there we took Harry Wade road which had a river crossing in the middle of the desert, up West Side Rd to Eagle Borax Works and out of the park through Furnace Creek. It was a great day with numerous surprises that only Death Valley can deal out.

Enjoy the pictures.

6EBDQIK.jpg

Our adventure began less than 10 miles from the dirt, still on pavement. Enjoying the leisurely drive I heard a loud clunk and caw something black fly out of the front left wheel. Saw this new hole in the inner fender.

aMTuwwP.jpg

Turns out the front sway bar connecting link somehow managed to loosen up and fall out, 100 yards back scattered all over the road were all but one of the bushings. With a spare socket from the tool box and a washer I found on the side of the road, the front sway bar was fixed and as good as new.

nZgvioe.jpg

The rest of the day was mechanically uneventful. We drove the short road to Ibex Spring and began exploring this area that had mining activities dating from 1882 all the way to 1968. Truck parked near the Ibex Spring.

2ds75be.jpg

Most of the structures at the site were modern dating from 1930-1960 which had plumbing and electricity.

VJ4npLn.jpg

Cross on the roof could potentially have been the church in this camp.

80TN9Nz.jpg

Drywall indicates a later constructed structure in this camp.

hYDBlMz.jpg

Boys climbed out the window to explore more of the area.

OfCxWK9.jpg

Another modern looking building.

f5VXSKy.jpg

Older stone building remains were re-purposed with newer structures during the life of the camp.

VYmCAIh.jpg

My favorite building, a double outhouse that once had running water and real porcelain toilets, all destroyed.

0ypTVTq.jpg

Kids ran into this mine calling it a dog house, the mine shaft was sealed and everyone made it out.

kponoCT.jpg

This is possibly the site of the spring, there are pipes running out of this area into the immediate buildings.

rSLge01.jpg

Looking into the spring cave, unfortunately the inside pictures did not come out.

Gzj1taw.jpg

We continued up around the corner and up a mining road to the base of the largest mining operation in the area: Moorehouse Talc Mine.

ihZKMsh.jpg

Moorhouse Mine consisted of an intricate 16 claims in this immediate multi-level area connected by rail tracks and shoots.

KQ9a4p0.jpg

Looking up the two ore shoots.

UxoCOXO.jpg

Inside the ore shoot.

bBlFSXc.jpg

Mine entrance.

XRSvlcG.jpg

Inside the mine shaft.

WpGEYkg.jpg

View from the top of the shoot.

h5XelTH.jpg

Following the tracks.

AmMhxPK.jpg

End of the line of the second level tracks.

9nhsc8q.jpg

Looking back on the tracks towards the shoots and the truck parking area across the gulch.

Adventure is continues in part 2.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
DAY TRIP: Death Valley Ibex Spring and Saratoga Springs part 2

Continued from part 1 posted earlier.

sURGjbG.jpg

It's difficult to judge the size of this mining operation. Trucks parked on the opposite side of the gulch from the shoots.

LbpjpVs.jpg

Looking down the shoot.

X2X9NGQ.jpg

Breathtaking view of the valleys below and mountains across are spectacular.

pq1hi7k.jpg

Second level has one mine with a giant door that someone opened to gain access to the mine and two more sets or tracks.

B0bQh0O.jpg

Continuing to the right, a storage building and another mine claim.

nMUT8Gb.jpg

Panning across to the right some more we come to the parking area and the double shoots.

0hVLWmy.jpg

Mine claim door propped open.

NyC9qBg.jpg

View inside the mine.

wXt5VDu.jpg

Storage building with rail tracks ending above.

This area has so much to explore that we only had a chance to see just a few highlights leaving more to explore on our future trips. We gathered the kids and headed to Saratoga Springs.

Fl3o68I.jpg

Road to Saratoga springs had deceiving deep sand signs even though we did not encounter any sand on the road, we did see Ibex Sand Dunes on the other side of the valley.

pAIiuUM.jpg

Saratoga Springs tun off.

yascm6R.jpg

Kids posing the the end of the road.

QNvr0Mw.jpg

We just spent an hour driving through the desert to come to this sign. My friend's initial reaction was to question what kind of fish live in sand dunes.

adjGLAk.jpg

We rounded the corner of a 100ft hike and scenery opened up to the two Saratoga Springs ponds which house several species of fish that are not found anywhere else in the world!

fHy000G.jpg

Climbing to the top of the hill to get a better view of the area.

The rest of the day consisted of shooting time lapse videos of Harry Wade Rd and West side Rd. We came upon a river crossing in the middle of Harry Wade Rd, I did not take any pictures however I did get it on video which will be posted soon. We continued driving north on West Side Rd and our last stop of the day was Eagle Borax Works.

Gr2rlKV.jpg

Eagle Borax Works was the first Borax camp in Death Valley in 1882, it was not very successful and shut down not too long after opening, in the background there is a mound on top of the remains of the original mill.

Another great trip in the books, exploring new areas of Death Valley and exposing the kids to the beauty of what this remote desert wilderness has to offer. We shot several timelapse videos and I will get them up as soon as I am done editing them.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Saratoga Springs Rd timelapse

This is a timelapse of a very short but enjoyable and can be navigated with a regular vehicle, no high clearance or 4x4 requires.

This is a very unique habitat that is home to fish and other organisms that are only found in this pond and spring and nowhere else in the world. The road ends at a parking area and there is an approximately 100ft long trail that will take you over a small hill and the view opens up to the spring and a breathtaking view of a desert oasis. The organisms in this area have adapted to survive below freezing winters, scorching 120F degree summers, and varying salinity of water that constantly changing.

I have several other videos from the trip that I am working on and will be up soon.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
What speed do you capture your time lapses at I've been trying all sorts of different capture rates sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't I find it the most difficult on more off-road trails with tight turns it just turns into a motion sickness film

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
What speed do you capture your time lapses at I've been trying all sorts of different capture rates sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't I find it the most difficult on more off-road trails with tight turns it just turns into a motion sickness film

Smileyshaun,

I record in 1080p 30fps, and I use Vegas Pro13 to speed up the video approximately 4x and render it in 720p 30fps. I used picture every 1/2 sec but it was way too fast and when I slowed it down to approximately 1pic per sec the resolution and quality went down big time.

Hope this helps

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Harry Wade Rd northbound timelapse

Harry Wade Rd was the Death Valley escape route of Harry Wade. He was one of several explorers and prospectors that was stranded in the valley during a miserably hot summer. All the explorers split up and headed in different directions to find an exit. Harry Wade had the most pleasant route which crossed the Armagosa River that runs through the middle of Death Valley however is mostly underground with occasional areas where it surfaces.

This road is very passable to most vehicles, sedans will expect to gentle scrapes here and there, any SUV will run this in either direction with no problems at all.

I actually crossed the Armagosa river in the video 3:54mis in which was an unexpected and very pleasant surprise.

Sta tuned for more shenanigans!

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Ibex Spring Rd and mine

This is a timelapse video of the entire Ibex Spring Rd starting at CR127 just south of Tecopa continuing onto the Ibex Spring camp and continuing onto the Moorehouse mine claim.

The road is very smooth and pleasant with numerous washouts. High clearance is recommended however 4x4 is not necessary for experienced drivers.

Mining camp has been built and rebuilt from 1882 onto 1968 when it was finally abandoned. There are remains of primitive stacked stone structure foundations as well as modern construction with 2x4s and drywall as well as electricity an indoor plumbing.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Driving down Ibex mine 00 Suburban vs 99 4Runner

On the way down from the mine we mounted the cameras on both my Sub and a friend's 4Runner to see the difference between how both of the vehicles handle the terrain. Needles to say that both of us ran this in 2wd with absolutely no problems however the 4Runner bounced around way more and the 11ft wheel base of the Sub had a much smoother and more pleasant ride.

I tried to do different angles of the vehicles navigating the obstacles as well as side by side comparison on the same obstacle as well as desert driving.

2000 K1500 Suburban
AFT coilover conversion
3" body lift
37" tires

1999 4Runner Limited
3" lift
Icon coilovers and UCAs
Externded rear trailing arms and panhard bar
285/70/17 tires

Last edited:

Forum statistics