2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
LOL a 1500 GMT800 37's with a body lift and cranked keys is not unique, go to any local mall in many areas and look under them. I'd guess you wouldn't see any pinstriping on them either.

The only point I'm saying this, is this 37's talk/debate/ disagreement, is fine. I hope it does work out for you, I think some of have said our piece. I hope I'm wrong and we can see some pictures of you getting through your trails with a giant smile on your face because you know, that guy on the interent, was wrong. You know maybe we can all meet up and enjoy it all together. I love it when a buddy proves me wrong at an obstacle (also love seeing myself right if I'm not the one doing the trail side repairs)

geronracing,

You nailed it, I completely agree with you and this is exactly the point of this build. I am not looking for a rock crawler, but a light to moderate trail truck. GMT800s are not designed to keep up with Jeeps and Land Rovers in Moab but enjoy new areas I can't get to in a Camry or a Civic and have the option to get out of sketchy places if need be.

I thought of many scenarios and crunched many numbers just like every single contributing member here to get the absolute best bang for my buck and see what happens with the truck. I have not seen any GMT800s that trimmed fenders to fit 37s and I think it will be a really fun project. So instead of been there done that, failed miserably, gave up, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas that I did not think of yet. I will put pics of work done and adventures whether successful or not.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Its easy, lift, and cut the crap out of your fenders...DRIVE. go for it...See how long she' goes until she starts spitting parts out. With 37s your 500 mile range will be shot to **** however. When you do break something, you can then add stronger parts.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
geronracing,

You nailed it, I completely agree with you and this is exactly the point of this build. I am not looking for a rock crawler, but a light to moderate trail truck. GMT800s are not designed to keep up with Jeeps and Land Rovers in Moab but enjoy new areas I can't get to in a Camry or a Civic and have the option to get out of sketchy places if need be.

I thought of many scenarios and crunched many numbers just like every single contributing member here to get the absolute best bang for my buck and see what happens with the truck. I have not seen any GMT800s that trimmed fenders to fit 37s and I think it will be a really fun project. So instead of been there done that, failed miserably, gave up, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas that I did not think of yet. I will put pics of work done and adventures whether successful or not.

But you can get to those places safely and reliably without a lift and big tires. As I mentioned before, a leveling kit and 255/85r16's with proper body protection will get you anywhere you sensibly wish to go without really affecting reliability or a big mpg hit. You are the one now making it sound as though you need 37's and a monster rig to enjoy a few trails....

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
And BTW, there are plenty of redneck rigs around that utilize a GMT800 chassis and cheap lifts with big tires, you just don't see many of them because of your local safety laws preventing unsafe vehicles from being on the road. A lot of us laugh at lift blocks, but to each their own I suppose.

Ivan

Lost in Space
55459916.jpg

184.gif

022.jpg

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
And BTW, there are plenty of redneck rigs around that utilize a GMT800 chassis and cheap lifts with big tires, you just don't see many of them because of your local safety laws preventing unsafe vehicles from being on the road. A lot of us laugh at lift blocks, but to each their own I suppose.

jeep-n-montero,

I would like to continue the direction of this thread away from it's original meaning to call you out on your uneducated unprofessional opinion. Please prove me wrong with the actual state laws that prohibit large tires on the roadway sine 37" tires are too big for you. Since I already know the answer I'll start: per DOT it is upto the tire manufacturer to manufacture street rated tires, which will have DOT rating on them, largest tires as of July 2016 are 53" diameter. DOT and states regulate the height of the bumper from the ground not tire size.

I am in Nevada and per NRS 484D.505 there is no number for maximum diameter of tire. And your rant on towing, per NRS 484D.255 my vehicle meets all state requirements to tow upto my license maximum vehicle and trailer combined weight and length: 26,000lbs.

So yes I am a redneck for thinking that $300 for 3" body lift and a hacksaw is dangerous and unsafe even though I have FACTORY suspension and suspension angles, where as your $3,000 aftermarket lift kit subsidized by your home made parts, which have no tensile strength rating, to save a couple bucks while completely changing every single angle of suspension part in the vehicle is safe.

I agree with Ivan, this thread is highly entertaining with all the unsubstantiated feelings and opinions.

184.gif

Grohe

But you can get to those places safely and reliably without a lift and big tires. As I mentioned before, a leveling kit and 255/85r16's with proper body protection will get you anywhere you sensibly wish to go without really affecting reliability or a big mpg hit. You are the one now making it sound as though you need 37's and a monster rig to enjoy a few trails....

Are you done? We get it, you have an opinion, and it differs from the owner's. 37s on a low lift surburban with IFS would NOT be my style either, but I'm interested to see how this turns out.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
If you are going to go BIG can I suggest something like this..:drool:

Built by Rick at Chilliwack Spring Service...:drool:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Update: Front fender trimming

Finally got some time to start trimming fenders. I had a blow out two years ago in front right corner which popped off the fender flare so I figure I start there. I used painters tape to mark the area I want trimmed or tucked. Then I removed the plastic wheel well inside cover. First cut was the bumper which was a straight and simple cut.

tire2.jpg

Rear section of the fender was more difficult due to wires and more sheet metal and pinch welds everywhere. I started with perpendicular cuts every 1" or so going around the pinch welds, then I used a large hammer to massage the sheet metal and body metal into the desired shape or location. Sheet metal got bent or deformed a little however new fender flares will hide all the imperfections once all four corners are finished. Little sanding and paint will go on my next day off after I work on the front left fender.

tire3.jpg

tire4.jpg

tire5.jpg

Finished product with the 37" fits much better, have over 2" of clearance front and rear of tire as well as approximately 3/4" clearance to the body work while turning. Below is a comparison before the fender trim and after.

tire1.jpg

Next step is the front left fender. I just realized that the windshield washer tank is in the front left bumper and will have to be removed prior to cutting and ultimately relocated. Don't have too much room under the hood but I'm sure I will find a spot for it.

Food for thought: front right fender trimming is limited by the rear AC lines and body mounts. I have no idea what the offset of these rims is but at full turn there is absolutely no rubbing anywhere now. I have played with friend's 1" and 2" spacers up front and the increased scrub radius causes my 32" tires to slightly rub with 2" spacer. So I will not be running a spacer up front.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Last edited:

Ivan

Lost in Space
Wait so you're not running the spacers up front? What about the rear?

Can't wait to see how this continues to progress.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Wait so you're not running the spacers up front? What about the rear?

Can't wait to see how this continues to progress.

Ivan,

No spacers in the front. When I put the spacers on the front the wheel offset increased by two inches and the swing/turn radius of the wheel increased but 1-1.5" I think it's called the scrub radius. That extra offset caused the 37s to rub on the trimmed bodywork rear of the front wheel. I'm going to trim front left this week and I will take pictures with the 32 stock, 32 with wheel spacer, 37 before the trim, 37 after the trim with spacer and without. I am running 37x13.5 in the rear and they rub with wheel travel and articulation so I have to run at least a 1" spacer for clearance. I am running a 2" spacer in the rear right now.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Jeep ZJ washer fluid tank is square, can mount almost anywhere, like $12 from rock auto.

mccustomize,

Wow! Thank you, ZJ tank dimensions are perfect for the one spot I had in mind under the hood and you can't beat the price. Going to order it once I pull the stock tank out later this week.

Once again thank you for the suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior