2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: Rocky Gap Rd trail in Red Rock Canyon just outside Las Vegas

Finally had a chance to upload the timelapse of Rocky Gap Rd also known as Potato Ridge trail. The traditional route is from Pahrump to Red Rock Canyon, that way you start the technical section 10 minutes into the the drive and do not have to pay the NRA entrance fee. I like the other direction a little bit better. We started in Red Rock Canyon, drove 1/2 the scenic loop (not in video), took the trail to the summit, had lunch and let the kids run around and play, then headed down the fun section.

Technical section is from approximately 3:00 to 3:45.

Here is one of many trail descriptions with pictures of the rocky section for which I did not feel like getting out of the truck.
https://www.offroaddance.com/rocky-gap-road-las-vegas-nv-english/

Lots of lifted Rubicons on the trail, couple of older Jeeps, everyone had at least 4" lift with 35's, no one had the 4-door version today. Lots of hikers everywhere, Baylor University had 2 vans in 1/2 mile in doing some archaeological trip.

I did not build this truck for trails like this, but for dirt roads with minor obstacles, but I am fortunate that the Suburban is able to navigate a trail like this. Keep in mind that I have 3.73 gears and the tires are 12 years old.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Once again thanks for posting pics of your trip Crazy! It seems like you and your family are getting the most out of your rig! There was a couple of trucks left abandoned on the trail that would have been great for some projects. Maybe head up there with a trailer and get one next time. (only kidding) Looking forward to your next post. Cheers Chilli...:)

Ivan

Lost in Space
Man that's awesome. Have you had any issues so far with the drivetrain? CVs, transfercase, etc?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Man that's awesome. Have you had any issues so far with the drivetrain? CVs, transfercase, etc?

Ivan,

No issues with the drive train at all. Most of the trails I run are in 2wd high, I lock the rear end for technical sections. I tried running same trails in 4x4 high but even with 300hp I do not have enough power to turn all the wheels with 3.73 gears and 37" tires. When I do use 4x4 low it's usually for straight line sections so the strain on the CV joints is minimal, I avoid turning and extreme suspension articulation whenever possible. Transfer case has also been trouble free.

I am sure that if I pretend that this is a rock crawler or a trophy truck I will destroy every part of the drive train on the first obstacle. However smart and careful driving ensures a super smooth ride and a reliable platform. Which is exactly what I was going for.

Andrei

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Once again thanks for posting pics of your trip Crazy! It seems like you and your family are getting the most out of your rig! There was a couple of trucks left abandoned on the trail that would have been great for some projects. Maybe head up there with a trailer and get one next time. (only kidding) Looking forward to your next post. Cheers Chilli...:)

Chilli,

That though has crossed my mind to pull one of the abandoned trucks out and turn it into a project, but I know my wife will kill me if she sees a carcass in the garage. Speaking of trailers, I am going to pull my camper trailer on this week's trail to see how the combination works.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Pulled the camper to the lake for some R&R with the family

Fun day at the lake with the family, camper and AIR CONDITIONING in 114F heat.

20170607_154419.jpg
20170607_154422.jpg

20170607_155432.jpg

Our pop-up camper is approximately 1,500lbs empty, and approximately 2,300 loaded with water, batteries, propane, generator, AC, fridge and camping gear. Even though it is relatively light I was skeptical about pulling it with the truck due to the increased load of 37s and 3.73 gears. No problems whats so ever even on a 4 mile dirt road and a couple fun off-road obstacles. At 65mph on the highway the trailer is less noticeable than it was with 32s.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEOs: Suburban vs Jeep Liberty over same obstacles, 2 diffrerent views

I set up the camera on a couple obstacles, trying to find a good angle to shoot the videos of the truck, still playing with the angles. This was on Rocky Gap Road. Three areas with different obstacles. First video is the Suburban and Liberty going in sequential order down the trail. Second video is an overlay of both trucks over the obstacles at the same time to see the difference between the lines of both trucks as well as the difference between a full size rig and a little trail rig.

* * * * One truck after the other * * * *

* * * * Overlay of both trucks at the same time * * * *

Let me know what you think about the videos and which one you like better or how I can try to improve them.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
VIDEO: El Dorado Jeep Trail near Hoover Dam AZ

Finally had a chance to explore El Dorado Jeep trail the other day, and learned how to embed videos!!!

Easy trail, does not require 4x4 or any ground clearance, can probably run it in my wife's sedan. Trail starts around mile marker 24.5 on 93 south of Hoover Dam. First two miles are very well maintained upto Pope Mine, then the actual trail begins. Local outfitter uses this trail for ATV tours and other than washboard its a very pleasant cruise.

Found a mine along the way. The end is near the water however actual river access requires a hike which I did not do with the kids this time.

20170610_124555.jpg
20170610_125001.jpg

20170610_125553.jpg
20170610_125658.jpg

20170610_125033.jpg
20170610_124854.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Suspension travel

Found a fun embankment to play with suspension articulation. Top of embankment to the bottom is approximately 36", however the pictures don't do it any justice. Did not get any pictures going up but decided to snap a couple on the way down because it felt like the tires came off the ground. Not too bad for 11ft wheelbase.

car1.jpg
car2.jpg

car3.jpg
car4.jpg

car5.jpg

Pretty cool looking tree.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Love those pics Crazy!:Wow1: You have proven all the negative people wrong by showing your truck can do it with the mods that everyone said would not work. Cheers, chilli..:)

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Full size spare tire mounted in factory location

I had a factory spare for the longest time but it was way too small to carry it around. I hung the 32" tire for the last month, however it's still a little on the smaller size compared to the 37". I found a Chevy Tahoe 17" aluminum rim on craigslist for $20 and two Open Country MT 35x12.5" tires for $60 also on craigslist. Haggled the tires down to $40 and paid $20 to get one mounted and balanced. Still looking for one more 17" rim for $20 or less so I can run two spares on the truck for longer adventures.

There is theoretically enough room in the factory winch mount to fit a 37" tire but thats a little excessive for lugging around every day. I winched up the 35" and it was rubbing on the axle so I took a canoe strap and pulled it back towards the hitch. Now I have a 35x12.5" spare in the factory location with plenty of clearance for drive train and exhaust.

20170613_104748.jpg
20170613_104803.jpg

20170613_104821.jpg
20170613_104852.jpg

20170613_104910.jpg

This is probably the best way you can attach a large tire in factory location without cutting, welding or relocating the spare tire winch. I am a little bummed at how far down it sticks out especially with the really long rear overhang it might interfere with my departure angle. I'll run a couple trails and go from there.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Looks like it might be time for a rear bumper that can take 2 spares.... ?:Wow1:

Chilli,

You are right, a new rear bumper might be in order, however I am absolutely in love with the idea of keeping the truck looking as stock as possible from the outside, other than the roof rack and oversized tires.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman