2000 Tundra Suspension advie - non lift

Casper

Adventurer
Hey All,
Hoping you can help me. With my 2000 Tundra at 250k miles on the stock suspension I am looking to replace it. New front struts/coil overs and new shocks in the rear with maybe the addition of an air spring setup. I use the truck as a DD, with the occational heavy towing. I have never really been a fan of Bilstiens, but it came stock with them, so I am keeping an open mind. So what do you all suggest?

Oh, and I do not want to lift it. I actually like this truck at it's current stock heigth(though I truely believe it's the lowest 4x4 Tundra I have ever seen, and I see a TON here in Truckee)

Cheers, and thanks for the info.
Josh
&
Porthos

D

Deleted member 9101

Ya know, I am in the same boat, don't want any lift.. just a better suspension.

Derek24

Explorer
For no lift Bilsteins are the best IMO. You can order the same yellow one's, or upgrade to the 5100's and set them at no lift. I would get 5100's front and rear and be done. The ride will be get for up there in Truckee. I ran 5100's all over Prosser, Boca, Stampeed, Downieville, everywhere in Truckee (love that place) and they were great! Keep an eye out for my truck, I'll be the for a week fairly soon!! Good luck.

jim65wagon

I'd go for the adjustable 5100's set at their lowest (stock height) setting. You'll get a better ride than the yellow shocks and if you ever change your mind about the height......
Timbrens or Airlift Air Cells in the rear, a no hassle no air required option compared to air bags. Paired with a new set of leaf springs and some 5100 Bilsteins rear shocks and it'll ride stock, haul what you need and be maintenance free.

Casper

Adventurer
So it's looking like 5100 are the what you'll suggest. I checked RCD, couldn't find a no lift option. Thanks though. One question about the 5100's for the front. It looks like I will still have to use my original coil spring. Or is there one I can buy with the spring as well? Haven't been able to find one yet.

Airsoft, I have been looking at those on line. I would love to see a set in person before I go that route. New set of leafs I was thinking about, just not sure if I should go custom (Denver or Alcan) or stock.

Thanks for the advise, anything else is always welcome. :)

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos

jim65wagon

Since you are replacing stuff can you pick up a new set of front springs too? Then you can install them on the Bilsteins and swap out the old coliover for an entirely new set.

Rears - Deavers, Alcans or stock, you really can't go wrong....

I've got the AirCells on mine. They only touch with a load on so the stock ride is still there. With some weight on them it really helps stabilize the vehicle at all speeds

Casper

Adventurer

Ummm, good question. As little as possible, but as much as nessasary. :sombrero:

I really don't mind spending money on quality parts if they will live up to the price. I also like to save whereever I can. So if there is something "cheaper" that performs just as well, I am happy to get that.

Not sure if that helps or not. :ylsmoke:

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

blvdking

Observer
I have been trying to decide the same thing (upgrade suspension/handling rather than lift and make ride like crap) and the 5100's seem to be the least expensive quality setup with a better more expensive option being Icon, Fox Racing Shox, King Shocks. Now I just need to find where to get the best deal on them ;)

TACO721

Observer
hey not trying to thread jack or anything. but how much would like 5100's and maybe new springs al coast? dad has a '00 tundra 4x4 ac cab. and it also has around 200k to 250k on it. i was looking the other day and i know leaf springs are pretty much flat.

Casper

Adventurer
Haha, no worries. I always like bringing back old threads. On the down side, do to life getting in the way I have still not replaced the suspension yet. On the up side it has given me more time to do more research. I will be finally getting to this in the next month or so. I decided to go with the ToyTec front coil overs and a set of bills out back. Rear springs will be stock replacement with an airbag assist. I helped a friend put this exact setup on his 2000 Tundra and he loves it. The only difference is I will be running my fronts at almost stock height instead of lifted. I like the truck where it sits now.

Cheers,
Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78