2000 Tundra Suspension rebuild - Actually doing it now

Casper

Adventurer
Ok, I am finally ready to rebuild my 2000 Tundra's suspension both front and rear. Kinda forced to since I snapped two leaf springs in the passenger side pack. So, with the help of some of you, as well as a couple friends this is what I have decided to go with.

1. Rear - Denver Springs replacement leaf spring pack for the rear (the standard one, I don't want the rough ride that comes with a HD pack) Bilstein 5100 series rear shocks and a set of Firestone "Ride-Rite" air bag helper springs.
2. Front - ToyTec Coil Overs with Bilstein shock

I chose this setup because it seems to give me everything I want, has some good revues and is priced in the middle of the suspesion price realm.

This brings me to my next question. I will be rebuilding the front completely (bushings, balljoints and all). With over 400k on the truck I think it's time to do it, and since I'm replacing shocks and coils it's the perfect time. So, would you guys go with the standard Napa bushings, ball joints and such(I can get a good price on these), or go with origanal factory Toyota parts, or is there a third option??? Something aftermarket and better (though not sure how much better you can get them 400k on the parts)

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Josh

Clutch

<---Pass
It is a matter of personal opinion. I only use factory Toyota replacement parts. Except for the bushings, Energy Suspension poly bushings over the stock rubber ones.

Casper

Adventurer
Energy Suspension poly bushings, I forgot about those. Hey Kermit, if you don't mind me asking why go poly over the OE rubber?

Washington Taco, thanks for the link, and nice truck. Steering rack, I hadn't even thought of replacing that. I guess I should check it out to see if it needs it. Thanks.

Any other opinions/sugestions out there?

Josh

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I went poly because I like the creeking/squeeking and harsh ride they give over rubber. j/k They (poly) worked good in my M5, not so much in a truck. I'll replace my poly bushings next time with stock rubber ones.

Casper

Adventurer
I went poly because I like the creeking/squeeking and harsh ride they give over rubber. j/k They (poly) worked good in my M5, not so much in a truck. I'll replace my poly bushings next time with stock rubber ones.

Hey Co-opski, can you elaborate on this? I can honestly say I have never used poly bushings, so I am not sure how they will react. I am just looking to bring the suspension back to life and give it a good ride again.

Cheers,
Josh

Clutch

<---Pass
Energy Suspension poly bushings, I forgot about those. Hey Kermit, if you don't mind me asking why go poly over the OE rubber?

Josh

AZ heat kills the rubber, less "play" with the poly. I had rubber in the rear springs too, but it was blown out after only 3-4 years of use,
replaced those with poly as well.

I have no problem with creaking or squeaking. We don't get the precipitation that AK gets, though. Fairly dry out here.

Used poly bushings on the steering rack as well.

But yeah, poly vs. rubber is a matter of personal opinion.:ylsmoke:

Rubber doesn't hold up too well here in AZ.

2812220370093498191S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Josh,
What Kermit said. ^^^^
I like the play that rubber gives in a truck, unlike my BMW that was tight for a reason and poly worked well. The endless washboard dirt roads, glacier silt, and the precip that comes with living in a rainforest, Poly ES bushings are a bugger. They use a silicon lube BTW. We get one or two days in the 70s so heat will not kill the rubber here, but the poly bushing scream as they squeak down the road, and no it is not a nissan thing as all my friends say as I roll up. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78